Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

How many bones are there in the foot ?

Discussion in 'Podiatry Trivia' started by Cameron, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Netizens

Last count there are 28 bones (2 sesamoids) and not 26 which seems to be the standard reference in foot health information.

Let us not forget the sesamoids, say I

What say you?

Cameron
    Hey, what do I know?

BTW Just posted a trilogy of tripe on origins of footwashing on the foot talk blog <http://foottalk.blogspot.com/>

Happy holidays

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2006
  2. Donna

Donna Active Member

Hi Cameron,

Yup I agree... 28 bones (not including accessory bones if present)... I don't know what else the sesamoids are supposed to be if they are not bones? :confused:

Donna ;)

3. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Ian Linane has a nicely wired-up skeleton foot with three (count them) great toe phalanges.
    So that would make 29 including the sesamoids.

:)

4. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Hi David

Hasten to add that it is not one of my own feet!!!

Ian

5. We just did surgery on a patient that had about 37 bones in his foot. Unfortunately, about 9 of those extra bones were from his comminuted calcaneal fracture that we were repairing at the time. Do these extra bones count also?? ;)

6. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

7. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Netizens

Who needs knockers?

When our peers read there are 26 bones in official litertature, what must they think?

Have a good holiday

Cameron