Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Hoka Ones

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Bone, Jul 21, 2011.

1. CamWhite

CamWhite Active Member

I have spoken with a few ultra-marathoners (100 milers) who love the feeling of running in Hokas, but lament that the cushioning noticeably breaks down after a couple hundred miles.

If running is your passion, my suggestion has always been to invest in the gear that makes you feel the best, and replace it as soon as it loses its magic. Like almost any sport, the serious enthusiasts have no problem investing in the proper gear, whether its golf, fishing, skiing, hiking or running.

If I were addicted to running (and I'm not), I would wear the shoe that makes me feel the best, and I wouldn't hesitate to replace it when worn down. But that's just me.

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I know this is not scientific, but, at the gym this AM on the treadmill I alternated between the two shoes several times - when in a steady state at the same speed, I was heel striking in the Hoka's and forefoot striking in the Minimus's ... despite the difference in weight of shoes and the different foot contacts .... the heart rate monitor had my heart rate exactly the same each time ....

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  4. Dana Roueche

Dana Roueche Well-Known Member

(311gms-214gms)/214gms=45% more weight.

It was mentioned on this forum a few times that Hokas are very popular within the ultramarathon community. Highly popular ultramarathons in the US are 100 mile trail runs which Karl Meltzer (big Hoka endorser) specializes in. When carrying that extra weight for 100 miles, you need to lift those 97 extra grams with each step, over 200,000 times during the course of an event. Seems like a lot of extra work to me, especially on a trail where the surface tends to already be soft. Go figure.

5. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Press Release:
    World Champion Triathlete Conrad Stoltz Joins HOKA ONE ONE(R) Athlete Team

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  7. NewsBot

Articles:
    Decker Outdoors Q3 Report:

8. NewsBot

Articles:
  9. Shane Toohey

Shane Toohey Active Member

Just couldn't resist this thread about the Hoka shoes.

I've used them for distance road running for probably 18months and all has gone well. For local hill running once a week I use standard running shoes (NB890).
    I also compete in trail running, off road events and wear the NB Minimus shoes for that as I feel far more secure in relation to rough terrain. I also soft sand beach run in bare feet which is harder on the muscles until you adapt but very kind on feet as you get full contour support. This is my usual daily run and seems to give me good stamina for the rest. I have had good results with a client with hallux limitus by using the Hoka for his walking. Another with recalcitrant heel pain is going very well with barefoot soft sand beach running as yet he cannot run any where else without ending up with a sore heel.

Somehow I want my punters doing as much as they can that isn't aggravating. I really avoid advising complete cessation. Its like if the pain is happening with walking do you tell them not to walk or minimise it. I find that most can at least do a 10 or 15 minute daily walk without aggravation and after a few weeks of that their condtion improves to allow for more. Hopefully treatment is helping as well....so its all relative. No hope for some though who just continue to ignore and keep going until they are stopped by stress##

cheers

10. CamWhite

CamWhite Active Member

There will be a lot more buzz on Hoka One One in the coming months. I attended "The Running Event" a national trade show for running specialty stores, and my booth was next to Hoka. Their booth was packed the entire show. Deckers has made a significant investment in this brand, and it will soon be a matter of time before the brand is seen everywhere.

The next obvious part of the Hoka phenomenon will be knock-offs. A big-name shoe company (I will leave that to your imagination) will launch a lower-priced "Toka Two Two" shoe for with a thick, soft midsole, and many others will follow.

This will be fun to watch.

11. jharrison

jharrison Welcome New Poster

I have a pair of Hoka's that i purchased following a fellow Podiatrist recommendation. I had been struggling with plantarfasciitis and tib post tendonitis for many months, so in a last frustrated attempt i bit the bullet, spent the $250 and purchased a pair. I find the cushioning in them great and i like how even though they are a big shoe (i am size 11 womans'!) they are very light. Also the "shape of" and hence roomy toe box is great for my blackened nails. As much as i like them for longer runs i don't find them very responsive for any shorter stuff and you do have to concentrate a little more to avoid tripping when on the trails. I do enjoy wearing them despite their unattractiveness but i don't think they are for everyone and i think you have to be careful who you recommend them too.

12. ggm2011

ggm2011 Member

Ha ha Toka two two as a Scot I'm breaking the habit of a life time and instead of awaiting the cheaper version I will buy the Hoka one ones. Ill keep you's updated.

13. NewsBot

Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  14. NewsBot

Articles:

15. CamWhite

CamWhite Active Member

I spoke with Karl Meltzer a couple of years ago about his experience running in Hokas. What he especially liked about them was when he ran on trails, he didn't have to worry about navigating around rocks as much. He found that the Hokas "mushed out" the smaller rocks without bothering his feet. This enabled him to run in more of a straight line. The weight of the shoes didn't bother him at all. Basically, he loved the feeling of the shoes over longer distances. His joints felt less fatigued, and he recovered faster.

16. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Here is the Googke trends graph for searchs for Vibram Five fingers (red line) vs Hoka One One (blue line)

Attached Files:

17. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Bit of a buzz going on the the Outdoor Retailers trade show in Salt Lake City at the moment.

Hoka getting a lot of attention with two new lighter models: Clifton (7.9oz) and Huakas (8.9 oz)

18. NewsBot

Articles:
  19. NewsBot

Articles:
    The Hoka One One Mafete in slow motion:

20. NewsBot

Articles:
    Here is how the shoe was developed:

21. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Picked up these snippets from retailers on Facebook talking about the Hoka One One's. The Bondi is one of the key Hoka models:

22. NewsBot

Articles:
  23. FREDZIO

FREDZIO Member

Hokas are the first shoes that caused serious pain in the lower parts of my spine. I tried them once - pain. I had to walk home. At firts I didn't realise the connection. I run in other shooes after. And than aggain, put on Hokas - and pain aggain.
    It's quite logical I believe, that for someone who is not a hard heel striker it may couse some kind of exaagerrate effect of hard bounce. Personally I suggest caution with these shoes, although some of my friends, ultra runners like them

24. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Just picked up this from an industry analyst in USA:
    Minimalist running shoes are approx $30 million

ie Hoka's appear to be outselling the entire minimalist category!

25. Jaimee Brent

Jaimee Brent Active Member

Hi
    I am a walker and thought I ought to try these as I have advised a few patients w shock absorption problems. Ie very cavoid feet, that these may be a way of cushioning their gait.
    All patients who have fried them found them highly effective. These were largely patients who didnt want to buy custom made orthoses.

I however, am hypermobile with extremely flexible flat feet. I have custom orthoses and wanted to check out there claims that these shoes are supportive as well as cushioning.

I can honestly say that they werent.

Even with eva and carbon fibre style orthoses I found that these shoes exacerbated my over pronation at heel strike. And no matter the thiness of the orthotic my heel continually slipped.

I then went back to brooks (heavenly) and tried the asics boost, which although they have a highly cushioned sole, caused no pronation problems for me...am in love with these shoes.

But as I said above....these shoes were successful for every cavus patient that I recommended them to.

26. Shane Toohey

Hi Jaimee,

I've had a bit of interest in these myself and tried them out and
    noticed a couple of things.
    I've also had Hoka's prove very helpful for Hallux Limitus pain and even for coping with Parkinson's gait.
    Not surprising that they may even increase the feelings of excessive pronation because of the much thicker soles provide an earlier fulcrum for pronation to begin.
    For this same reason I do not think they are suitable for off road running on uneven terrain but can be helpful for prolonged running on hard flat surfaces.

Cheers
    Shane

27. Shane:

For your information, approximately 30-40% of the runners in the 2014 Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run, run on uneven mountain trails over the crest of the Sierra Nevada mountains in California, wore Hoka One One shoes. They are very stable on uneven terrain and are routinely worn by the trail runners I treat without issue.

28. Shane Toohey

Great, thanks Kevin, my sample size has been much smaller and has included ankle sprains.
    Cheers

29. o.tasker90

o.tasker90 Welcome New Poster

Hello there,

I have a keen runner patient who has generalized pain in the lateral foot on both sides. Has a history of medial tibial stress syndrome. I have advised him to attend a podiatrist that has more equipment to analyze how he runs etc. but wants to stay with me at the moment. I have attached some of my notes when I first met him. Because it was just niggle pain rather than pathological we gave him off the shelf stiffened insoles with a 2-5 met bar. I tried a small lateral wedge but that wasn't very comfortable. The reason why I am coming here is that he has recently bought Hoka ones and I am not familiar with this shoes.

I was worried that the softness of this shoe can make it more unstable, possibly putting more soft tissue loading on the lateral structures when running. As he wants to run marathons again I told him I wanted to research the shoe before making any decisions.

If any advice regarding the thoughts on these Hoka shoes I would be grateful.

Olivia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Patient has been seen by a previous podiatrist for shin splints (started in Jan 2020). Pt's main concern was bilateral (R>L) 5th ray pain after exercise and if this would effect his ability to start running marathons. Used to run 25 miles weekly until shin splint issue. Very slender male.
    Objective
    Past treatments which pt hasn't found helpful included
    - Physio (focusing on strength and calf raising according to pt)
    - Resistant band training from previous podiatrist.
    Patient starts feeling lateral plantar foot pain after 8k running.
    Hallux ROM is good
    Beightons 2/9
    Hubscher grade 3.
    R side calcaneus slightly more everted than L on standing.
    Good arch profile
    5th MPJs callus.
    No LLD
    Tight hamstrings, gastrocs ok
    L shoulder drop.
    Hyperextended hallux IPJ and evidence of hallux nail trauma.
    No reports of back, knee or hip pain.
    Gait: medial heel strike. L shouldr drop. Patient wearing jeans and baggy tshirt therefore difficult to assess hip and knee motion.
    L foot more abducted when walking, R foot straight throughout.
    Splayed toes - instability.
    Footwear: patient bought new walking shoes 2 months before pain onset. On looking at the shoes the shoes looked medially posted so that these would likely be pushing the pt onto the lateral foot more.
    Pain at it's worse 3/10. Some tenderness with palpating the 5th MPJ. No plantarfaciitis symtoms.
    Pt has alot on inversion and diminished eversion in STJ. Patient hasn't had a ankle sprain but reports that can go over the ankle occasionally