Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Long & Short lying and Short Sitting

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by mcarroll46, Mar 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mcarroll46

mcarroll46 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi, I am a fourth year Pod student and this is my first post on here so please forgive my inexperience if I have not posted this to the correct area on this site. Anyway lets get to the point. Can anyone help me with understanding what muscles are not in use during each of the positions of Long Lying, Short Lying and Short Sitting. Does anyone have a photo source showing which muscles are active and which are not in each of these positions?

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have not heard of those terms before.

3. mcarroll46

Thankyou for the reply Craig.

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Did you get an answer? I curious to know what those terms are.

5. mcarroll46

Hello Craig,
    The Long Lying refers to hips and knees extended - Long Sitting with hips flexed and knees extended - Short Sitting with both hips and knees flexed. So all my inquiry was about was trying to get my head around which muscles were engaged or relaxed in these 3 positions. I know I could go back to my anatomy lectures but thought I'd be cheeky enough to give posting on this site a chance seeing it was available.
    Totally off this topic is another question and that is, how do I quote a previous message into this one? I tried ticking the "Quote message in reply?" box but it wouldn't work.
    Thanks,
    Michelle.

6. efuller

efuller MVP

To figure out which muscles are active you have to look at existing forces, understand what moments at what joints are created by those forces and then figure out which muscles create moments that are needed to put the free body diagram back into equilibrium. Figuring out exactly which muscles is often not possible because multiple muscles can create the same moment. Say you were sitting on the floor, with your legs straight with a little bit of forward body lean. The external forces will tend to increase forward body lean that would tend to create a hip flexion moment. There are multiple muscles that can create a hip extension moment. There are an infinite number of combinations that can occur to create that hip moment.

At the bottom right of each post there is button to click on that says quote. When you click on it the text that is not already in quote boxes is coppied and on either side of that text there is stuff in brackets. The stuff in brackets is a code that is read by the web page that tells it to a box around the stuff between the brackets. You can copy and paste those brackets to make multiple boxes. It does matter what the text is inside the box at the beginning and the end of the material that you want to quote. Now I need to figure out what the new button means and how does that allow you to make multiple quotes.
    Eric

7. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Just to add to what my erudite colleague has written - go back to the old saw - "The brain knows nothing about muscles, only groups of muscles".

All the best

Bill Liggins

8. Michelle:

The terms "long lying", "long sitting", and "short sitting" are not standardly used terms and in my 30 years of biomechanics education and teaching have never heard these terms. Therefore, please tell whoever taught you these terms that there are much better terms that are much more clear and less ambiguous as the ones you asked of us.

Tell him or her that "lying supine with knees and hips extended", "sitting upright with knees flexed" and "sitting upright with knees extended" are more easily understood by the vast majority of clinicians and scientists than the terms "long lying", "long sitting", and "short sitting".

In other words, made-up terms are not always more clear, more concise and more understandable, even though they may take less time to write and say.

9. mcarroll46

Thank you very much Mr Payne, efuller, W J Liggins, and Mr Kirby for replying. It has been most helpful. My anatomy books are starting to look ‘dog-eared’ now. Fingers crossed I can recall it for my OSCE.