Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

First Car

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by blinda, Nov 28, 2012.

1. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Well done. x

(Took me 5 attempts)! I think they only passed me in the end as they were sick of seeing me cry at Aldershot test centre. x

Attached Files:

2. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Wow Belinda is female a Podiatrist and loves the VW Beetle.

She sounds perfect.:drinks

My first car was a Mini 850 van that had a bigger carb and high compression head.
    Then a MK 11 3.4 MOD Jaguar, but no one would insure so got a 1971 Beetle 1302S and did a few things to it. Brakes shocks a few engine tweeks etc etc and it was great fun. Went all over the UK with the Bristol VW Owners club , the Leicester and Warwickshire VW club. When moved here 1n 1986 we had the East Coast Squiggle Dub Club.

I also have had a 1955 Oval, and a VW 412 when a student. it had a mind of its when it came to running. but could be persauded to go toi the beaches around Plymouth , up to dartmoor and the run to Peterborough when going to my parents. All while i was a pod student at plymouth.

Also had a 1959 Type 11 Devon caravenette, but did not have the money to do the restoration.:boohoo:

Also had a Mk 1 Golf N 1100cc of raw power. Did the brakes and suspension on it so not quick but never needed to slow down.

Also had a Scirocco GT 11 it was great car.

I passed my test 1st time too.

Today in my Mid Life crisis i have a Merc SLK 320 which is great fun.

Beetles can be great fun, there is a wonderful club scene.

But your 1st emergency stop in the wet will be heart stopping as the car will not stop. Bag of cement in the front boot helps. Also the heater can be ferocious or non existent. \icing of the carb in winter can be fun. The snail chaser windscreen wipers are fun too. icing up of the inside of the windscreen is interesting. But hell first car to have a 100,00 mile club care of the magazine safer motoring.

Fun times

So Belinda go in with your eyes open and you can have a ball with the car. They are still cool.

Also it would be possible to build a new one as all parts are available.

I used to love going to Bug Jam at Senna Pod.

David

3. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi David,

Thanks for the compliment:eek:

Whilst my first car was indeed a bug, it was actually my 17 year old son, Jack, who started this thread. We celebrated him passing his driving test last night with chinese and bubbly :drinks

Tis true that I am a female podiatrist and do still love VW bugs and campervans, but don`t tell Jack. I want him to get something a little more reliable and kinder to my pocket.

Cheers,
    Bel

4. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Well done Jack!

5. Here is a podiatry related car story that might raise a smile or two...

Just over a month ago I had a rather strange telephone call from a former patient, whom I saw whilst working in Great Yarmouth over 15 years ago. She was a recently retired teacher - a spinster - who lived in a delightful converted beach hut near Caister, just along the coast. The telephone call started - "Are you still driving old Saabs?"

She had tracked me down through the internet and decided to contact me again following a spell of ill-health, which meant she was no longer able to drive. She had been a Saab enthusiast - having owned several during her life - from an old two stroke 94, a 96 and several 900s. When I first met her - not long after she retired - it was a new 900 convertible that was parked in the car port next to her hut. And this was the reason for her call. "I was hoping to find a good home for it..." she explained "..and I was wondering if you would be interested?"

Would I be interested??

Anyway, I now have a very nice 900 saloon for sale - low milage, full service history etc 900i XS 16v - in metallic silver, should any other aspiring drivers be perusing these pages. PM me if you are interested....

Attached Files:

6. davidh

I think this (the one for sale) was made by Saab too, and not Vauxhall?

Mark will put me right, but the Saab-made Saabs are way better-built than the Vauxhalls.

Due to circumstances, I'm running two 4x4's at the moment:eek:.
    One is a 15 year-old Toyota Rav which is still going strong (although showing a bit of rust now).

I thought Toyota's were built to last:confused:.
    I've already had to change the battery once:D.

Anyway, very nice Mark, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.

7. Before 1994, if you accidentally left your finger in the door-jamb whilst closing the door, you were left with nine fingers (Just like old BR rolling stock). After 1994, you needed a new door.

8. blinda

blinda MVP

Well, it`s only taking the best part of a year for his insurance to come down...here they are; Jack & Delila (I said Jack & Diane had a better ring)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. davidh

Tell him very nice Bel.

I remember that look........ pleased as Punch and blissfully unaware..........:D.

10. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Just as well it wasn't Jack and Danny !

11. N.Knight

N.Knight Active Member

Simon you say a nice small van for bikes.

I used to get 2 of these DH bikes in the back of my Mini Mayfair, going from Portsmouth to Aston. (Had to take the back seats out though)

Attached Files:

12. blinda

blinda MVP

Isn`t she pretty? Jess looked OK too....

[​IMG]

Caption competition?

[​IMG]

13. Is the bloke on the right saying "Who the bloody hell farted?'

14. Wendy

Wendy Active Member

Bel...did you forget which side your fascinator was on ;)

15. lisa

lisa Welcome New Poster

Yo AB FAB ... Eddie where`s Patsy and the Bolly ???!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x x