Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Cuboid Fracture

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Bill, May 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bill

Bill Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Does anyone know what the gold standard for treatment of a cuboid fracture is?

2. summer

summer Active Member

I don't think there is ever a gold standard for anything. Just my opinion as each case has to be treated individually.

For those cuboid fractures which I have treated I generally immobilize them if the alignement is good. Partial weightbearing to tolerance is allowed.

If asymptomatic then no further treatment is advised. You have to consider the possibility of a C-C fusion somewhere later down the road if the joint is symptomatic, although surgical intervention is suggested immediately if the alignment is poor or the fracture is severely comminuted.

3. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Cuboid Fractures in Preschool Children.
    J Pediatr Orthop. 2006 November/December;26(6):741-744
    Senaran H, Mason D, De Pellegrin M

4. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Summer

Please could you tell me, What are the clinical signs and symptoms of a cuboid fracture. What is a typical history.

I have never come across a fractured cuboid (or maybe I did and missed it).

Thanks Dave Smith

5. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Dear all

This looks like a good paper
    Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association Volume 91 Number 2 85-88 2001

Isolated Cuboid Fracture A Rare Occurrence
    S. Rick Miller, DPM* and Charleen Handzel, DPM

I didn't get round to renewing my JAPMA subscription this year, I must do that.
    In the mean time if anyone who would like to email the article
    my adress is david.smithpodiatrist@tesco.net.

Cheers Dave Smith ;)

6. joebrush

joebrush Welcome New Poster

I had a sudden inversion/eversion, along with a cuboid avulsion ( fracture ) 10/8/02, was casted within two hours at ER, followed up by orthopedic PA who had casted with a weight bearing cast/crutches. Followed up w/therapy, during the interum taking Dilantin for seizure disorder, which in turn made pain erratic due to half life of meds losing potentcy. As a result of being in a weight bearing cast and taking nuero med I had probably been too active, complicating healing process. Was scheduled for triple arthrodesis, but after the first procedure decided against it, I could not tolerate anymore post-op pain. Was fitted for Richie Brace, at first it was good , however the heel is made of a softer material which in turn wears out, causing supination of the foot, which in turn causes compression of the sural nerve along with a streching of ligament going to the first metatarsel. I have been dealing with pain for five and one half years. I then decided to take it upon myself and read in regards to the bio-mechanics of the foot. As a result of measuring the wearing of the rubber heel of the Richie Brace with a carpenters modular ruler I had cut the back side jacket of a note book into small pieces the size of the heel on the brace to compensate for the worn supinated ( outside ) side of the heel. I then taped the four " slices " to the bottom of the heel. It stopped the peroneus brevis tendons from compressing onto the sural nerve by lifting the heel thus lessening the tension being caused by a dropped suppinated heal pulling of the ligament going to the first metatarsel. NO MORE PAIN. C C fusion should have been done as opposed to the inside of the foot.

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    The patterns of injury and management of cuboid fractures
    a retrospective case series

P. Fenton, S. Al-Nammari, C. Blundell, M. Davies
    Bone Joint J 2016;98-B:1003–8.

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    MR imaging features of cuboid fractures in children.
    O'Dell MC et al
    Pediatr Radiol. 2018 Feb 9. doi: 10.1007/s00247-018-4076-1.

9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Update on diagnosis and management of cuboid fractures.
    Angoules AG et al
    World J Orthop. 2019 Feb 18;10(2):71-80

10. NewsBot

Articles:
    Cuboid fracture: An extremely rare cause of limping in a 2-year-old child
    Ioannis Delniotis et al
    Clin Case Rep. 2022 Jul 11;10(7):e6021