Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Shock, Shock Absorbency and Cushioning: What Are They?

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Kevin Kirby, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have decided to move this discussion on shock, shock absorbency and material/insole/shoe midsole cushioning to a new thread for those interested in this discussion from the following thread:

Is It Unethical to Prescribe Orthoses for Children with Asymptomatic Flatfoot Deformity?

2. Simon:

The central nervous system (CNS) response to these changes in surface stiffness is something I left out to simplify the discussion. However, the CNS response is extremely important and greatly complicates the discussion on how each runner responds to changes in insole, midsole and surface stiffness conditions.

3. I kind of like the idea of a 2 part discussion for what it is worth.

Materials and then the added CNS element.

As we are aware not all will respond to changes in surface/foot stiffness, so knowing what materials work and how they work in "shock" absorption will be of benefit.

I do wonder out load if the term shock absorption should be banned and rate of deceleration and easy concept to understand.

In that the increased stiffness of a materal the higher the rate of deceleration and vice versa when thinking in terms of foot device impact

(and as a related aside I believe the importance thought behind material choice in device timing of orthotic reaction force)

Hope that makes sense, not sure how much I will be around to re explain/ reword if not as the wife and I maybe off to the Hospital soon for a early Christmas present and addition to the family :D

I maybe around alot of course as we wait ;)

4. Congratulations:drinks:santa:

5. In regards to regulation by the central nervous system (CNS), much of the research on running shoe midsole durometer has shown that, often, a running shoe with a softer midsole doesn't necessarily cause the runner to have decreased impact force with the ground. This is probably because the runner uses their CNS to detect that they are running in a softer shoe and then uses their CNS to choose to hit the ground harder.

In addition, running shoe "energy return" is not the same as running shoe "shock absorption" since a running shoe midsole that has more "energy return" may not be the best "shock absorber" for running. Obviously this is a complicated subject especially considering the widely differing responses of each individual to different running shoe midsole designs and constructions.

6. Even more complicated when you consider the varying needs of the whole cross-section of podiatry patients - not just runners. :drinks

7. postscript

postscript Welcome New Poster

All, a material really worth looking at is called D3O,this is a rate sensitive material that reacts to shock in a non Newtonian manner.
    Results from product testing are that it out lasts the usual open cell and PU based materials by a significant distance, with the reduction of transmitted force being of particular interest. Already this material is used in the MOD and high impact sports for body and head protection, however developments have now produced this material into an insoles /orthotic grade component.

8. Dr. Steven King

Dr. Steven King Well-Known Member

Aloha,

We prefer harnessing the Impulse attenuation and energy return characteristics of the advanced composite materials over foam systems in my shoe midsoles/orthotics.

I do not know if any foam can ever achieve the modulus of elasticity of compressed composite materials.

Dr. Nigg's latest book "Biomechanics of Running Shoes" reported that the advanced composite prosthetics used in the last Olympics were returning 92%. How thick would a foam shoe need to be to achieve that? Would a shoe that thick be usable??

How much landfill space would it use up when the foam has lost its form and function in 6-8 weeks?

A Hui Ho Ho Ho:santa:
    Steve

An Advanced Composite Spring Lever Orthotic Runner &
    Renegade Podiatrist