Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

BUPA homes contracts

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Tracy.gill, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Tracy.gill

Tracy.gill Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi, i have been providing foot care to a private BUPA home and gave generous discounts for group bookings (all first appointments ?30 - 45 mins, consult, medical history, doppler testing and full treatment, then follow ups between ?15 for simple nail cut and ?20 for chiropody treatment). They have now asked for a 10% fee of total invoice to cover their providing me with a room and patients. No one in my area seems to have heard of this practice, so I contacted their Head Office and was told this is a new contract system where the home can charge between 10-20% plus VAT for providing the patients. Firstly is this fair? I have never been asked to give a percentage of my fees for a nursing/residential home. I have had a meeting with the Management at the home and said I would think about signing the contract. I am not happy with this situation as it is hard work bending and mentally dealing with dementia patients as well as paying a fee for the privilege !! Anyone else in UK having these contracts?

2. Simon Ross

Simon Ross Active Member

Tracy,

I can't believe that you got those original prices in the first place! By what I hear, the pay rates that these care homes pay is nothing short of ridiculous / slave labour.

Back in the era 2003-2006 roughly, I have heard of chiropodists charging ?6-8 for chiropody in these homes.

As one of my SCP colleagues said on a forum, "forgive me for being cynical, but in my experience, these care homes don't care about standards, they just want the cheapest"

A friend of mine was called to a patient in a home the other week, where thickened nails had hardly been touched by the previous person. This patient had had a chiropodist once every 6 weeks! My friend used something called a drill, and showed the home manager how to treat a nail properly. My friend also charged considerably more than the last person did for the service.

Sorry if I have gone off on a tangent!

3. fishpod

fishpod Well-Known Member

give them the 10 percent tracy but increase your fees by 50 percent sounds fair .ps get some negociating skills. Its amazing what you can get i doubled my earnings once just by asking. good luck If they wont deal walk away from this deal as 15 quid for 45 minutes plus overheads car instruments etc is very poor.