Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Press Release: Howard government force podiatry course closures.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by admin, Feb 2, 2005.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Subject: MEDIA RELEASE - JENNY MACKLIN - HOWARD GOVERNMENT FORCES PODIATRY COURSE CLOSURES AROUND THE COUNTRY - 2 February 2005

Media Release
    Jenny Macklin MP
    Deputy Federal Labor Leader
    Shadow Minister for Education, Training, Science & Research
    Federal Member for Jagajaga

HOWARD GOVERNMENT FORCES PODIATRY COURSE CLOSURES AROUND THE COUNTRY

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  2. admin

Todays Australian sort of picked up on the above press release, BUT....

3. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

This is all rather too close to my heart for comfort. Two things I would say however to fuel the debate on the Arena is don't believe everything you read in print and by that I mean attacking Federal funding for closures and shortages assumes all is well in individual universities and that would be a big assumption. Conditions apply but the situations at UWS and Curtin University were quite different and I would suggest worth a closer inspection, before grouping these together as a phenomenon.

Collectively there is a crisis now or certainly in the near future there will be a shortage of podiatrists in Australia. But whilst not being self-sufficient in producing their own, Australia can always accept overseas graduates which is after all cheaper for the government to do.

My second point is by flagging up the issue of closure in this manner and putting the blame squarely on absence of Federal funding may bring in its wake not a return to that which was once before, but instead new innovations which severely challenge the very existence of the mono disciplines which are so grossly lessened in number.

Me thinks Nero has been fiddling while Rome burns, and the absence of a non-proactive political podiatry governance in Australia has reaped what it sowed.

Cameron
    Hey what do I know?

4. admin

I did notice that no news outlet in Australia picked up on the original press release above. All we got was the story in the Australian newspaper above.