Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Gangrene

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by airamasor, Oct 23, 2007.

1. airamasor

airamasor Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi everyone, I'm in my first year of podiatry and we need to find the epidemiology incindence, prevalence and male/female ratio and I'm struggling to find an updated information.
    Any ideas?
    I can't access yet to the British Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists ( that's another story)

2. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Try Googling 'gangrene'. That should keep you busy for some time!

Bill Liggins

3. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

I make it even easier. Here is the Google search

4. airamasor

airamasor Active Member

:p It needs to be official information you lot

5. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

6. W J Liggins

Failing that, try your medical library.

Bill Liggins

7. airamasor

airamasor Active Member

I've done all that but all the information i found was related to either diabetes or vascular problems. THere is nothing specific just about gangrene ( we need incidence, prevalence and male/female ratio) and is very frustrating not being able to find anything specific without involving diabetes ( I know they are closely related )

8. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Maybe that kind of information is not available.

9. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Duh!

What do think CAUSES gangrene 99% of the time??????

(Almost) every condition has an AETIOLOGY, right?...:bang:

Try some basic vascular surgery texts, then start cruising PubMed for articles once you have your head firmly around what you are trying to understand.

LL

10. W J Liggins

And why do you think that your tutors have phrased the question in that way? To try to make you think, perhaps? To try to have you explore the many many available sources of information?

Please do not make rude postings. This is an international forum and you have been answered by eminent practitioners from the other side of the world who are also trying to help you think.

W J Liggins

11. airamasor

airamasor Active Member

To everyone, I apologise if I made a rude posting, I didn't realised I was being rude. Sorry.
    I am sure you are all right about all the comments, WJ Liggins deffinetly the question is to make us think, and now that you mentioned it's very logical it's a way to make us explore different sources of information.
    LuckyLisfranc we did look into diabetes and vascular literature but we really thought we could find the statistics records about gangrene regardless the causes. Obviously we didn't think it could just be an excercise to test how to find information. Which leads to
    Craig Payne, I think you might be right maybe that specific information it doesn't exist
    However I really apreciated the information received and the help you all gave me. This will be a good reflection excersise for us (1st year students) It defenitely helped me to be more careful about how to read questions. Also it helped me to see there is a big comunity willing to help each other. Thaks a lot. I'll keep you posted about the results :) and again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I did not mean it.

12. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

No problems - thanks for the apology.

Google Scholar and PubMed will give you access to far more info than simply searching through books in the library. Both the written word and electronic data (including forums like this:p) are valuable sources of information for anyone undertaking research, at whatever level.

Let us know how your enquiry progressed.

Cheers,

13. airamasor

airamasor Active Member

An update
    We finished the work and you were right WJ Liggins it was more a research project than anything else. We did get quite good peer review therefore we were very pleased.
    To all of you who gave me some advise THANK YOU very much.