Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Cortisone injection for morton's neuroma

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Jul 30, 2008.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Effectiveness of ultrasound-guided corticosteroid injection in the treatment of Morton's neuroma.
    Markovic M, Crichton K, Read JW, Lam P, Slater HK.
    Foot Ankle Int. 2008 May;29(5):483-7.

2. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

I had a lady of 45 who presented with medial heel pain. At the time I diagnosed plantar fasciitis. Fitted bespoke semi flexible orthoses and reviewed after 6 weeks.
    The outcome was relief of pain initialy then return of pain slightly higher in the medial heel at the level of the heel rim. I removed the rearfoot post and reviewed after 2 weeks, the pain had very significantly increased. Further examination changed my Dx to tarsal tunnel syndrome and severe pain could be ellicited by palpation of the medial calcaneal nerve and tapping sent tingling and pain thru the medial foot. This was not apparent at the first visit. I replaced the posting and increased the medial wedge and the pain eased considerably over the next week.
    She is a nurse at the local hospital and I had arranged for a diagnositic U/S scan. She has not had the scan yet but her freind heard about her heel and wheeled her in to see the local orthpaedic consultant who immediately gave her a corticosteroid injection, which was very painful to administer and remained that way, and told her to stop using the orthoses. During this time she has been seeing our physio for theraputic U/S and 1 week after the steroid injection she is back in considerable pain. I still plump for tarsal tunnel syndrome but I feel I have lost control of her future treatment for now. Maybe she'll listen to me at her next appointment.

Just an anecdote really but relevant to the thread.

Cheers Dave

3. NewsBot

Articles:
    Efficacy of corticosteroid injection versus size of plantar interdigital neuroma.
    Makki D, Haddad BZ, Mahmood Z, Shahid MS, Pathak S, Garnham I.
    Foot Ankle Int. 2012 Sep;33(9):722-6.

4. NewsBot

Articles:
    Patient's assessment of discomfort during ultrasound-guided injection of Morton's neuroma: selecting the optimal approach.
    Yap LP, McNally E.
    J Clin Ultrasound. 2012 Jul-Aug;40(6):330-4

5. NewsBot

Articles:
    Computed tomography analysis of third webspace injections for interdigital neuroma.
    Hembree WC, Groth AT, Schon LC, Guyton GP.
    Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Apr;34(4):575-8.

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    Methylprednisolone injections for the treatment of morton neuroma: a patient-blinded randomized trial.
    Thomson CE, Beggs I, Martin DJ, McMillan D, Edwards RT, Russell D, Yeo ST, Russell IT, Gibson JN.
    J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 May 1;95(9):790-8.

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    RETROSPECTIVE REVIEW OF INJECTION THERAPY IN MORTON'S NEUROMA
    G Schiffer, O Chan, R Jalan, N Padhiar
    Br J Sports Med 2013;47:e3

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Service evaluation outcomes of a Morton's neuroma injection service: A district hospital experience
    N. D. Rao; S. Beremauro; D. Pabari; D. Deeab
    International Musculoskeletal Medicine; Volume 36 Issue 1 (April, 2014), pp. 13-18

9. NewsBot

Articles:
    A Systematic Review of Ultrasound-Guided and Non Ultrasound-Guided Therapeutic Injections to treat Morton's neuroma.
    Peter A. Morgan, Gwendolyn A. P. Monaghan, and Simon Richards
    Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association In-Press.

10. NewsBot

Articles:
    Cost-effectiveness of steroid (methylprednisolone) injections versus anaesthetic alone for the treatment of Morton¿s neuroma: economic evaluation alongside a randomised controlled trial (MortISE trial)
    Rhiannon Tudor Edwards, Seow Tien Yeo, Daphne Russell, Colin E Thomson, Ian Beggs, J N Alastair Gibson, Diane McMillan, Denis J Martin and Ian T Russell
    Journal of Foot and Ankle Research 2015, 8:6 doi:10.1186/s13047-015-0064-y

11. NewsBot

Articles:
    What factors predict the need for further intervention following corticosteroid injection of Morton's neuroma?
    Devendra Mahadevan, Mohammad Salmasi, Nicola Whybra, Anika Nanda, Suchi Gaba, Jitendra Mangwani
    Jnl Foot Ankle Surg; Article in Press

12. NewsBot

Articles:
    Skin depigmentation along lymph vessels of the lower leg following local corticosteroid injection for interdigital neuroma
    Stefan N. van Vendeloo, Harmen B. Ettema
    Foot and Ankle Surgery; 21 January 2016

13. NewsBot

Articles:
  14. NewsBot

Articles:
    Corticosteroid injection for Morton's neuroma with or without ultrasound guidance: a randomised controlled trial.
    Mahadevan D et al
    Bone Joint J. 2016 Apr;98-B(4):498-503.

15. NewsBot

Articles:
    Retrospective study of the incidence of plantar fascial rupture following cortisone injection
    Gerald T. Kuwada
    The Foot and Ankle Online Journal 9 (1): 9

16. NewsBot

Articles:
    Corticosteroid Injection for the Treatment of Morton's Neuroma: A Prospective, Double-Blinded, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial.
    Lizano-Díez X et al
    Foot Ankle Int. 2017 Jun 1:1071100717709569. doi: 10.1177/1071100717709569.

17. NewsBot

Articles:
    Risk factors and the associated cutoff values for failure of corticosteroid injection in treatment of Morton’s neuroma
    Young Hwan ParkJa Woon LeeGi Won ChoiHak Jun Kim
    International Orthopaedics: 12 December 2017

18. Len

Len Member

19. Len

Len Member

Heel pain can be tricky. I find acupuncture and inst

20. Len

Len Member

Has there been any good study on ultrasound guided vs palpation injection in the period 2014 to 2017?

21. NewsBot

Articles:
    Prediction of Clinical Prognosis according to Intermetatarsal Distance and Neuroma Size on Ultrasonography in Morton Neuroma: A Prospective Observational Study.
    Park YH et al
    J Ultrasound Med. 2019 Apr ;38(4):1009-1014

22. NewsBot

Articles:
    EFFECTIVENESS OF CORTICOSTEROID INJECTIONS IN CIVININI-MORTON'S SYNDROME: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW
    ElenaSamailaa et al
    Foot and Ankle Surgery; 18 May 2020

23. NewsBot

Articles:
    Medium-Term Results of Corticosteroid Injections for Morton’s Neuroma
    Melinda Yun Ting Hau, MBChB, MRCS, Lauren Thomson, MBChB, MRCS, Randeep Aujla, MBChB, ChM, FRCS (Tr&Orth), DipSEM, ...
    Foot & Ankle International October 26, 2020

24. NewsBot

Articles:
    Corticosteroid Injection for Morton's Interdigital Neuroma: A Systematic Review
    Jun Young Choi et al
    Clin Orthop Surg. 2021 Jun;13(2):266-277

25. NewsBot

Articles:
    Efficacy of a Single Corticosteroid Injection for Morton's Neuroma in Adults: A Systematic Review
    Steven R Edwards, Susannah Fleming, Karl B Landorf
    J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2021 Jul 1;111(4)

26. NewsBot

Articles:
    Long-term comparison between blind and ultrasound-guided corticoid injections in Morton neuroma
    Fernando Ruiz Santiago et al
    Eur Radiol. 2022 Jun 21