Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Genu varum, knee condropathy, pronation

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by fabio.alberzoni, Sep 29, 2014.

1. fabio.alberzoni

fabio.alberzoni Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a patient with condropathy of medial condyle at both knees and a previuos surgery of both medial menisci.

He got plantar fascitis.

ankle with -2° of rom bilateral (muscolar equinus)
    anke with knee extended >10° bil

lateral metatarsalgia bil

extrarotated patellas in ccc cause of tibial intenal rotation(angle of gait 0° bilateral)

distal phalanx of both dig toes valgus(FHL)

FF/RF 0°(INVERTED)/3°(INVERTED)

SUBTALAR ANGLE 0°/0°

FOREFOOT ABDUCTION BIL

RCSP 4°EVERSION/4° EVERSION

NCSP 1° INVERSION/0°

TIBIAL STANCE ANGLE: 8°(MORE OR LESS)

MAXIMUM PRONATION TEST: POSITIVE BILATERAL

MS: PRONATION

HELL OFF VERY EARLY

I put a temporary medial skive of 10mm of semicompressed felt under his feet to see if it works good for the knee too. He felt really better for two day and later he took off those felts.

My questionS: how the internal rotation and pronation act on the knees?

using supination moments on STJ the tibia is gonna extrarotate. Is this positive for knee medial condyle condropathy?

Using supination moments on STJ I increase medial forces on the knee...why he felt better?

What happen in the knee with intra and extrarotation forces? I can't understand the biomechanics of condyles...

why with such a pronation foot he got problems only on the medial part of the knee?

which treatment?does he need a treatment?

thank you all..fabio

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Tricky one; its going to have to be compromise somewhere. Lateral heel wedging may help the knee (see this thread) and then may make the plantar fasciitis worse.
    What is needed for the plantar fasciitis may increase the joint moments at the knee and aggravate that!

3. Tricky indeed. I would try mild medial support, while not increasing the varus moment at the knee. Lift both heels to help with ankle dorsiflexion and early pronation in the midtarsals. I would add valgus wedging also to off load the medial knees. I've tried this with success in cases like this. May need an extra depth shoe. Also, consider using subortholene with medium density or low density eva as support underneath. The subortholene will give a little under his weight and stay there, as opposed to polypro which will always spring back into it's original shape. This should help keep the varus moment to a minimum and also provide shock absorption he needs...