Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

What is a Hick's Test? Is there a Hick's Test?

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by bonbons*n*candies, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Aidan Hobbs

Aidan Hobbs Active Member

Didn't even post the images with it. How lazy...:D Thanks for that BRo

So from my understanding, the Dynamic Hicks test is concerned with the ability of the first ray to resist pronatory forces acting upon it during midstance...?

Would a positive Hicks test suggest a supinatus?

Would this then differ to locking the MTJ and testing to see if a FF Varus is reducible by applying downward pressure to the first ray?

2. Em3

Em3 Member

Haha, them there are fighting words :boxing:

It looks good, but non-stiffness of the first ray doesn't necessarily cause a supinatus, does it?
    A poorly functioning windlass could be due to a forefoot valgus (or very mobile forefooted) person causing a positive Hicks, no?
    Soo... would the repeated failure of the windlass to provide a rigid lever cause the valgus deformity to reduce to the appearance of a neutrally aligned forefoot to rearfoot? A 'supinatus' with respect to the foot's real neutral, rather than the apparent.

I don't know whether I'm trying to argue that you're wrong or if I'm trying to get my head to understand that you're right, but I think you should conduct some research on it, Ada, I hear podiatry schools have an abundance of students with foot problems. :eek:

3. cab31

cab31 Member

I think what aidan is saying could have some relevance. Excess pronation can stop the first ray from plantar flexing (due to GRF) thereby stoping the first MPJ from reaching its full ROM. Supinatus results from similar pathomechanics and hence could go hand in hand.

I think all in all though this thread has merely displayed that the true jack's test is a far more widespread and accepted test which would be beneficial to adopt in order to converse with other practitioners.

4. Em3

Em3 Member

Nobody said that we aren't already using Jacks, competently and critically. It is the point of the assignment we've been tasked with.

I don't think it's fair to say that just because a test is 'accepted' and more widely used that it is more useful than another, because every theory, every test and every diagnosis had its beginnings somewhere, with somebody else saying "pfft, I've never heard of it so it can't be very good".
    New ides and concepts challenge assumed knowledge, even if that knowledge has been hard-won. Isn't that something useful to converse with other practitioners about? New tests and justifications to mull over? To move forward in understanding, diagnosing and treating?

And lastly...if I'm not mistaken, Jack's and Dynamic Hicks test for two vastly different things.

5. dougpotter

dougpotter Active Member

Great information that many appear to have not known. Thank you.

6. CamWhite

CamWhite Active Member

In Texas, the Hick's test is used to determine if you are really a redneck.:D

7. SANFORD ROSENFELD D.P.M.

SANFORD ROSENFELD D.P.M. Welcome New Poster

THERE IS NO SUCH ANIMAL

8. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

in case anyone else out there is looking for this ....

Attached Files:

9. agwpodiatry

agwpodiatry Welcome New Poster

Maybe this will help --- article is below.

testing first ray mobility with the windlass mechanism engaged via the ?dynamic Hicks test.?

One would do this by dorsiflexing the hallux while evaluating first ray mobility.
    The goal of this testing is to gain insight into how the first ray would function during propulsion with the windlass engaged.

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/4126