Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Human movement and podiatry degree

Discussion in 'Australia' started by cab31, Sep 14, 2006.

1. cab31

cab31 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the thoughts are on the dual degree offered in podiatry and human movement at QUT. Is it worthwhile doing the dual degree? Does it make you more employable? How useful is it in terms of its relativity to the podiatry profession?

Thanks

2. Felicity Prentice

Felicity Prentice Active Member

oooh. I didn't know about this one. Got a weblink you could post?

All in all, having more than one qual is never a bad thing. A lot of our La Trobe students come in to our course with a Human Movement degree, but I don't know how that influences their long term employability.

3. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

cab31

>All in all, having more than one qual is never a bad thing.

Agree with Felicity there.

Podiatry offers a clinical vocational option for theory based first degrees. So whether you complete two full degrees or a dual degree comes down to cost, time and ability to follow an accelerated course of study. If I was doing it again I would seriously consider a dual degree. My first degree was health studies with a podiatry training which I did first which allowed me to earn and learn.

For mature students wishing to return to education and wanting to change their vocation to a clinical discipline, an option might be to register for a graduate entry masters program (two years duration). Other disciplines have gone down this track but podiatry in Austrtalia has not so far dipped its toe.

Other models elsewhere include a part-time undergraduate degree, delivered at distance with some residential requirement to complete clinical training. To the best of my knowledge these models are still to be approved but likely to become another option to attract students to universities.

Good hunting
    Cameron