Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.
Tags:
  1. Adrian Misseri

Adrian Misseri Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Question,

At what stage radiographically can a girl go 'en pointe' in ballet? I assumed it would be after closure of primary growth centers, but what about secondary growth centers? Common consensus in the ballet world seems to be about 12 years old, but I'm not sure what to advise an 11 year old girl who has just presented asking if her feet are ready? Any ideas? I've sent for x-rays to check the growth centers, awaiting results.

-Adrian

2. kemplr

kemplr Member

Hi Adrian,

How long has she been dancing for as well? It is not advisable to go en pointe if she is a beginner. It is advised that they have a few years ballet experience before pointe to strengthen leg muscles and develop good technique. The ballet teacher should also be able to give advice as to whether she is ready. I don't know radiographically.

Lauren

3. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

4. Age aside, I think it depends on whether this girl is good enough and wishes to make a career from ballet. If not, why would you want to do this to yourself? Lets face it, it isn't great for your feet.

5. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Amen!!!!

Other than that I generally suss out the teacher. A good teacher will be the best guide.

6. Ella Hurrell

Ella Hurrell Active Member

Having done a lot of ballet in my time, and with a number of patients since, it is generally the standard you have reached in ballet (ie. the grade/class/exams passed etc) that dictates when the teacher brings pointe work into the class. It tends to be that those acheiving a level where it is required for examns etc, are around 14-15 years old at least, assuming they have participated in ballet since younger childhood. I speak only about the UK - I have no idea the exam structure in other countries. Certainly in the UK it is fairly difficult to progress through the grades much earlier than this.

Ella

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  7. Adrian Misseri

Adrian Misseri Active Member

Thanks all for this!
    The patient in question has been dancing for years and appears to want to make a career with it. I wil enquire with a dancing teacher and see what I can come up with.
    Why someone would want to be a professional ballerina I'll never know.. pink tutu's just dont do it for me.
    Thanks again!
    -Adrian

8. LER

LER Active Member

9. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Magnetic resonance imaging of the ankle in female ballet dancers en pointe.
    Russell JA, Shave RM, Yoshioka H, Kruse DW, Koutedakis Y, Wyon MA.
    Acta Radiol. 2010 May 18. [Epub ahead of print]