Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Lawsuit filed against Skechers

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Jan 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    The troubles for Skechers are far from over. This is from their latest quarterly SEC filing:

2. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Press Release:
    Skechers Announces Preliminary Settlement of Toning Lawsuit

3. NewsBot

Articles:
    In South Korea, all the toning shoe manufacturers have been fined for the claims and its still not over:
    YMCA considering lawsuit on Reebok's 'toning shoes'

4. NewsBot

Articles:
  5. I wonder if Skechers thinks their unusual advertising campaign for their toning shoes is worth it now?:butcher::cool:

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have just had some dialogue with the Skechers division that markets the shape-ups .... they coming baaaaaaaaaaaack!

7. Ninja11

Ninja11 Active Member

I cringe at a world where people disconnect their logical thinking brains, and think only with their @rs#s! When did we stop being accountable for our own actions, and have the right to blame everyone else for our own choices. People should learn to acknowledge advertising hype for such products for what it is.... propaganda! Start using your brains again folks and stop blaming everyone else for rolling you ankles.

8. efuller

efuller MVP

Let's turn this around. Do think it is ok to make claims for a product that you are selling that have no basis in fact. Yes, people should be accountable for their actions.

From dictionary.com on definition of fraud

Eric

9. I agree with Eric. Would you, Ninja11, feel the same way if your loved one, possibly your husband or daughter, died from taking a dietary supplement that was advertised as being totally safe or was advertised as being guaranteed to cause long life? Would you then be saying that your husband or daughter should have been accountable for their own actions and they have no right to blame anyone but themselves for taking this dietary supplement that was advertised as being safe and as promoting better health? Would you also be thinking that your husband or daughter should have used their brains and shouldn't blame the company making the dietary supplement just because they died from taking it? How is advertising fraud justified in any product that makes health claims?

Am interested in your reply, Ninja11.

10. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I think there is a difference between:
    1. A product that makes health claims for their product that a relied upon by the consumer to make a decision (which is what the FTC $150mil settlement with Skechers and the Vibram class action was about); if health claims are made, there had better be evidence for those health claims

and

2. For eg, someone who trips over using a Skechers Shape-Up when it is obvious that the shoe is unstable (which is what a lot of the litigation against Skechers is being based on) - this is when the issue of 'personal responsibility' probably should come in .... ie sh*t happens

11. efuller

efuller MVP

Agreed. You buy an unstable shoe, you should expect instability. Then there is the issue of how the buyer finds out it is an unstable shoe...
    Eric

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  12. But are these "unstable shoes", such as Skechers sold, any more unstable than 4 inch stiletto-heeled shoes? Maybe all these shoes need prominent warning labels all over them such as we see here in the USA on our ladders and our cigarette packages? If these "unstable shoe labels" ever happen, it will occur first here in the USA...guaranteed!!

13. Ninja11

Ninja11 Active Member

Probably put more eloquently than what I wrote, but yes, this is what I meant.
    My understanding is that we have governing consumer bodies, that are there to protect the general public from companies that advertise and make fraudulent claims about their products. This is different to purchasing an "unstable product" and being surprised that they roll their ankles in it. That said, I am still often surprised by patients in terms of not questioning how their shoes inpact them ie" I have sore balls of my feet."..."yes I wear high heels everyday to work". :wacko:
    I believe in informed decision making.

14. NewsBot

Articles:
    It is still not over for them:

Press Release:
    Federal Judge Hearing Skechers Lawsuits Has Denies The Shape-Ups Manufacturer’s Request For Injunction