Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Foot Joint Kinematics with Varying Midfoot Orthotic Postings

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, May 26, 2015.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Multi-Segment Foot Joint
    Kinematics with Varying Midfoot
    Orthotic Postings

Hilary F. Feskanin
    University of Dayton; Honors Thesis; April 2015

2. Interesting on 1st quick scan

but no images of the device with the various posting which would have been nice

will read in a bit more detail as time permits

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    They did not really describe the orthoses in great detail....but they just appear to be the stick on pads that come with the Vasyli prefabs.

4. dottiekat

dottiekat Member

so the mid-tarsal is a cross between the ankle joint and the sub-talar joint? because it makes the same movements?
    Wonder what is meant by standard/control?
    When we make a 'valgus' filler, it is on the medial side, made of s/c felt and sits under the navicular... but, when we talk about valgus wedging, we put this on the lateral side. Can anyone explain why this is for me as its making me very confused.
    (2nd year student)

5. efuller

efuller MVP

I'm not familiar with the term valgus filler. It may be a regional term. From your usage it appears to be the orthotic modification you would add when you saw a "valgus" foot. I have no idea whether that is a real thing or not. If that is what it is, I would agree with you that it is a confusing term.

My sense of what a valgus wedge is the same as yours. A valgus wedge is one that is thicker laterally and thinner medially. This does illustrate the importance of agreeing on terminology.

Eric

6. dottiekat

dottiekat Member

Thanks
    Valgus filler is used medially in the arch area in cases of an over pronating STJ. I'm guessing here but it lifts the navicular and medial cuneiform encouraging correct first ray function.
    I'm at a loss as to why it's called a valgus filler other than it's filling the valgus and lifting it out of valgus?
    So many things seem to work in negative, perhaps I'll just have to remember it.
    Yes, valgus wedge is a lateral fixture and I'm happy with its function and interpretation of valgus in that instance.

7. efuller

efuller MVP

I call that modification medial arch filler. I'm not aware of anyone who calls that modification valgus filler. Maybe it's a regional thing. Medial arch filler will make the orthotic stiffer and would theoretically move the center of pressure under the foot more medially increasing the supination moment from the ground.

Lifting (dorsiflexing) the medial cuneiform would be dorsiflexion of the first ray. Whether this modification does this is an interesting question as there is a lot of soft tissue between the orthotic and the bone. The idea that an orthotic would cause "correct" function of the first ray is also interesting. That notion would imply that someone had determined what the correct function is. On the other hand, I do believe that increased supination moment of the STJ would lessen the forces that cause functional hallux limitus.

Eric

8. Theodore Coates (an introduction to appliance making in chiropody 1965) calls what is now commonly called a "valgus filler" a "valgus rest pad"; designed to "rest" the valgus foot by "filling in the non-weightbearing area of the valgus foot".

9. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

One of the Coates' brothers - I think his brother (worked at Unilever), came to do a guest day at Salford while I was there in the early-middle 70's. He was big into silicone (for toes, before someone guffaws), and he was certainly good. I am in no way being patronising - you have my word - but I have noticed that you pick up on early UK pods and speak well of them - there were so many that it is difficult for anyone who was well educated in the history of the profession in Europe not to giggle rather at the manner in which Root et al seem to have invented the science we have come to call "mechanical therapy". Whenever I talk about the anatomy of the sole of the foot, and inevitably ask the question: "why these so-called layers" They are fiction - they have no basis in fascial compartments, we end up at John Hicks of Brummy. That is, arguably, the most important structure of all is not in any of these so called layers. and he was from Blighty............ The Coates Bros must have gone to God now - good luck to them

10. I try to keep a reasonable library and like many I am interested in the history- still looking for copies of Arthur Swallow's biomechanics papers which were published in chiropodist somewhere between the 50's and 70's (when it was A5 size). Interesting that neither Gross and Burnett (1933) nor Lake (1952) discuss "valgus filling" pads.