Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by crazycat, Mar 23, 2015.

1. crazycat

crazycat Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello everyone.

This is my first post on this forum (though I have been a lurker for a long time).
    :eek:

I've been out of full-time practice for a number of years now, and I'm a little out of touch. I hope to learn and also contribute where I can.

If I may, I'd like to ask a question right away.

A friend called me from interstate (so I can't check the problem foot in person, so to speak).
    His complaint was:
    "Left plantar heel and medial pain."

It turns out that this pain has been ongoing for 3 months or so.

He recevied ultrasound results 3 days ago, and here is a summary of the conclusion:
    "Severe plantar fasciosis with minimal changes of plantar calcaneal enthesopathy and partial thickness intrasubstance split tearing."

The podiatrist treating my friend has recommended a moon boot for 3 weeks, and then custom orthotics afterwards.
    My friend is wondering if the moon boot is necessary (as he is worried about not being able to perform his work duties for 3 weeks).

If anyone has seen any similar cases, what did/would you recommend?

Thanks for any help!

2. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

He recevied ultrasound results 3 days ago, and here is a summary of the conclusion:
    "Severe plantar fasciosis with minimal changes of plantar calcaneal enthesopathy and partial thickness intrasubstance split tearing."
    Welcome, i there, sorry, my reply did not submit, not sure at what stage this case is.

The podiatrist treating my friend has recommended a moon boot for 3 weeks, and then custom orthotics afterwards.
    My friend is wondering if the moon boot is necessary (as he is worried about not being able to perform his work duties for 3 weeks)
    Moon Boots will protect & rest the foot. The results often do not show if it is an acute or chronic tear. I have worked for up to 3 months in a moon boot. The job may dictate if a boot can be worn. If the pain is too severe, work may not be possible anyway. compensatory / avoidance gait can cause more symptoms.

If anyone has seen any similar cases, what did/would you recommend? Moon boot, compression socks, muscle rehabilitation, orthoses & an ease out of the boot can be used successfully.

Cheers

3. crazycat

crazycat Welcome New Poster

Sorry for my late reply. Thanks so much for your response Heather - it has been very helpful.

4. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

cYou are most welcome, thanks for taking the time to respond. There are so many answers within Podiatry Arena, it is an amazing resource! Thanks Craig & Admin :)

Cheers