Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatric surgery laws in NSW

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LuckyLisfranc, Jul 17, 2006.

1. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Grateful to Paul Bours for this link:NSW AMA Doctor July 2006

It seems recent legislative changes to allow podiatric surgeons admitting privileges in NSW have stirred some criticism...

Interesting reading. :cool:

LL

2. LCG

LCG Active Member

Does anyone know of any health benefit outcome papers published by orthopods or pod surgeons in relation to foot and ankle surgery?

I have read a paper by Christian DeBrennan that touched on orhtopaedic vs podiatric outcomes is there anything else?

I think the reference in the article that was posted by LL relating to podiatric surgery and post operative and functional outcomes was eluding to a paper that Mark Gilheany was working on with regards to bunion surgery????? Has this been published?

Trying to brain storm some ideas for my professional project unit to complete my masters

3. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

I thought the paper was eluding to this
    Quote from UK Hansard 1999

King's Fund Paper available at Kings Fund

4. simonf

simonf Active Member

Hi LCG,
    I have spend the moring looking for exactly this, with minimal success, I am wondering if you ever got any useful papers? if so would you ba able to share?

cheers

s

5. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association Volume 91 Number 4 164-173 2001

Health-Related Quality of Life Following Podiatric Surgery

Paul J. Bennett, DipAppSc(Pod), GradDip(Hlth), MPH, PhD*, Carla Patterson, PhD and Michael P. Dunne, PhD

Abstract

This 6-month prospective study investigated the outcomes of foot surgery performed by Fellows of the Australian College of Podiatric Surgeons. The study recruited 140 patients who were treated for orthopedic, neurological, or integumentary diseases of the foot. The majority of subjects who underwent podiatric surgery experienced significant postoperative improvements in a range of health-related quality-of-life dimensions as measured by the disease-specific Foot Health Status Questionnaire (FHSQ) and the generic Short Form 36 (SF-36) questionnaire. Subjects reported a reduction in foot pain, increased levels of physical function, improved general foot health perception, and improved footwear-related quality of life. No significant adverse outcomes or unplanned re-admissions to the hospital were reported. This study demonstrates the advantage of assessing health-related quality of life as opposed to patient satisfaction. (J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 91(4): 164-173, 2001)

and also this;

Podiatric surgery and orthopedic surgery: a customer satisfaction survey of general practitioners

The Foot, Volume 13, Issue 1, March 2003, Pages 53-54
    R. H. Helm and K. Ravi

Abstract
    We have conducted a questionnaire survey of all general practitioners in the Doncaster area to ascertain their opinions about the relative merits of orthopedic and podiatric surgery in respect of quality of service and patient satisfaction. Eighty-three percent of 154 general practitioners replied. The great majority of general practitioners stated their preference was to refer patients with foot problems to podiatric surgery rather than to orthopedic surgery, and that they were more pleased with the quality of service provided. At the same time, we noticed a significant reduction in the foot surgery workload of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery in our hospital. We discussed the implications in terms of future service provision and the effect of a local podiatry service on the exposure of orthopedic trainees to foot surgery.

and this,

Prevalence and type of foot surgery performed in Australia: A clinical review

The Foot Volume 17, Issue 4, December 2007, Pages 197-204

Paul J. Bennett

Abstract
    The aim of this study was to investigate the type and prevalence of foot surgery being conducted by fellows of the Australian College of Podiatric Surgeons.

Methods
    A clinical audit of 786 patient files was undertaken, all of whom had been operated on by 10 podiatric surgeons during a 12-month period. A coding framework was used whereby all files audited had each foot condition classified according to the International Classification of Diseases.

Results
    A total of 1575 diagnosed conditions, which subsequently underwent surgical treatment were identified in 785 case files. The most common conditions identified in this study were: lesser toe deformities (46.1%), hallux abducto valgus (20.8%), intermetatarsal neuroma (Morton's) (7.8%), hallux rigidus/limitus (6.6%) and onychocryptosis (6.7%). It would appear that, on a state for state basis, the amount of foot surgery conducted by podiatric surgeons across Australia is relatively uniform. In terms of the type and prevalence of conditions surgically treated by podiatrists internationally, these rates bear striking similarity to the results reported in the United Kingdom and the United States.

Conclusion
    The data suggests podiatric surgeons operate ostensibly on healthy female patients in their fifth and sixth decade of life. Almost half of the patients operated upon underwent multiple procedures, with variability in the type and frequency of procedures most likely being attributable to individual surgeon preference.

6. simonf

simonf Active Member

Thanks for that LL, I had found a couple of abstracts, but I haven't subscribed to the appropriate journals previously so havent been able to access the full articles

the quest continues, I remember reading a couple of UK articles a few years ago, with 4 or 5 year reviews of surgery services, I still havent found them, they must be in some archive somewhere!

cheers

s

7. LCG

LCG Active Member