Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Foot type and Injury in Ballet Dancers

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by EmmaJohnson, Nov 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. EmmaJohnson

EmmaJohnson Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi there,

I wondered if anyone could help me. I am an undergraduate podiatrist (UK) and am currently researching for my dissertation. I am conducting primary research regarding foot type and incidence of foot and ankle injuries in ballet dancers. I hope to work with one of the ballet companies for my sample.

I wondered if any one with expertise in this area could offer any advise or recommend any research papers that would be of interest. I understand that more work has been conducted in the U.S regarding ballet dancers and would appreciate any help or guidance that could be given.

Kind Regards,

Emma

2. montagu356

montagu356 Welcome New Poster

Ballet Info

Hi Emma

My thoughts are that probably the best thing for you to consider is toe length in relation to injuries. During my 16 years working with the Royal Ballet
    I have observed that foot type is not easy as they all have incredibly strong musculature and they all have to rise through in neutral STJ position even if they have flat feet when standing. In my time I have only ever seen two principal dancers with 4 toes of equal length thes dancers worked consistently without injury year after year but for soft corns ID4/5.

hope that helps

3. efuller

efuller MVP

One difficulty you will have is in defining foot type. There are a couple of classification systems. Choose one that you can get repreatable measures.
    Eric

4. purpledeb

purpledeb Welcome New Poster

Hi

Just read messages relating to ballet. I have a child coming in with problem relating to hallux toe/nail. Connected to going on pointe but would appreciate any tips on treatment at such a young age.
    Deb

5. montagu356

montagu356 Welcome New Poster

You do not say how old the patient is. I would hope she would be around 12 years of age. I would expect the nail plate to be cracked or sub ungual bleeding. Or possibly pain in the 1st MTP itself. Check nail length -too long is often a problem! If the nail plate is cracked or the nail is lifted so that the nail plate moves posteriorly it will set up an inflammation in the distal phalanx due to pointe work. If this is happening the only way to treat it is to remove the nail under L.A. Hope that is of help