Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Anterior talofibular ligament rupture

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by domhogan, Sep 3, 2007.

1. domhogan

domhogan Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a colleague who has recently sustained the following injury. What is the recommended surgical / non surgical treatments available?
    CLINICAL HISTORY: inversion injury two months ago

REPORT:

RIGHT ANKLE ULTRASOUND

There is evidence of fluid beneath the anterior talofibular ligament, as well as almost complete loss of definition of the anterior talofibular ligament with no definite remaining fibres seen. The left side had a comparatively normal appearance.

The peroneal tendons as well as the anterior compartment tendons have normal appearances.

RIGHT ANKLE CT

Anon contract MD CT was acquired through the right ankle. Multiplanar and high resolution reformatted images were generated.

There is evidence of some thickening of the anterior talofibular ligament corresponding to the change seen on the recent ultrasound. No associated fracture is seen. There is normal bony alignment. The ankle mortise appears preserved. No degenerative changes are seen.

CONCLUSION

The changes on the ultrasound are consistent with the significant tear of the anterior talofibular ligament. No associated fracture is seen.

Examination Date: 27/7/2007

XRAY RIGHT FOOT

There is normal boney alignment. No fracture or dislocation is seen. There are significant degenerative changes involving the great toe MTPJ.

Examination Date: 6/6/2007

XRAY RIGHT FOOT Morning after I fell over.

No broken bones shown.

2. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Hi Domhogan:
    Given what you've told us, the patient is 8 weeks post injury.
    How is the patient doing? Improving? Limping?
    How old? Occupation? Active? Healthy?
    An isolated ATF lig injury does not always necessitate primary repair. I would suggest P.T. and possible temporary orthotic control. In my experience these isolated injuries heal fairly well without surgical intervention, however, the patients often develop painful ankle synovitis which can be removed via arthoscopy. This may be months or even years post injury.
    If the patient continues to have pain/swelling and surgery is indicated there are several ways to repair these.
    Most recently ( 1 year) I have been using Wright Medical’s Graft Jacket as a graft rather than attempting to mobilize adjacent soft tissue.
    I hope some of this helps. Good luck
    Steve

3. domhogan

domhogan Member

she is a mother of four (all under 7 years), aged 33 years, healthy, and is a stay at home mum, and she is able to function to care for her children,lifting, carrying etc..., and when walking there is no visible limp, but the area does grab her, and is certainly not improving. Admittedly she has taken the "she'll be right mate..." attitude, which in hind sight this wasn't the best decision. When she first told me I identified the pain in the shaft of the fifth metatarsal, hence was suprised to read the report, unless this is an old unrelated injury?

4. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Hi Domhogan:
    I have found the interpretation of MRI findings in this area of the ankle fairly subjective. If her pain is in the 5th Metatarsal and not the anterio-lateral ankle, then I would put more credence on the clinical picture. She may have an occult injury to the 5th metatarsal which, as you know, are common in inversion injuries.

What exactly is her chief complaint? Ankle or lat. foot?

As somewhat of a side-note: When I am unsure as to whether a patient's ankle symptoms are intra or extra articlular, I'll inject 3cc's or so of .5% Marcaine into the ankle. If their pain is dramatically improved for a day then I'm pretty sure it's intra articular.

I would not schedule any surgery until you are sure of the diagnosis.
    Steve

5. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN FIBULAR NOTCH ANATOMY AND ATFL RUPTURE
    Haluk YAKA, MD et al
    February 15, 2023