Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists Annual Conference and Exhibition 2009

Discussion in 'Conferences' started by Adam Thomas, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Thomas

Adam Thomas Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Following the huge success of the 2008 conference in Bournemouth where we welcomed over 1,200 delegates and 85 Exhibitors the Society is delighted to announce that the conference this year will take place in Harrogate from the 19-21 of November.

The focus will be on development, personal and professional, with skill based sessions that look at basic, general skills and clinical updates, as well as new medicaments and prescription only medicines, alongside plenary presentations from forward thinkers on the exciting new directions that podiatry is taking. There will be something for everyone, the private practitioner and the general podiatric practitioner.

Participants will learn from up-to-date developments, share experiences, and discuss the fascinating dynamics that are currently influencing the practice of podiatry.

So to ensure your place at the best podiatry event of the year and to gain more than half of your CPD points for 2009 book online now at www.profileproductions.co.uk or www.scpconference.com

Early bird member price for full conference is just £169.00!(Full price £199.00 – after July 31st)

Best regards

Adam - SCP Communications Manager

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Bumblebee

Bumblebee Member

Hi Adam,
    I am a student member of SoCAP, I am in my first year at Salford Uni. Could you please confirm the cost of the conference? i understand that it is £29 for the 3 days, is this correct? also do you know if there is anywhere i could get funding to attend? as my uni will not fund ant places

Cheers

Steve McG

3. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Hi Steve,

You can't afford £29?:confused:

4. Bumblebee

Bumblebee Member

Well, Actually right now! yes £29 is a lot of money!!! bills up to my eyeballs, car off the road and an unofficial overdraft the size of a small estern european state.

So, any assistance would be great.

Steve

5. cornmerchant

cornmerchant Well-Known Member

David
    What exactly was the point of your post?

Is it shameful for a student no to be able to afford extras for conferences?

You could no doubt help if required.

Bumblebee- pm me if you are still struggling, I will help.

Cornmerchant.

6. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

netizens

I am at the end of the career and I cannot afford 29 pounds. It was always my ambition to get to a big UK conference as a student and young practitioner but never came. I did set up a national podiatry students association and for a time anyway some did get the benefit of sponsored attendance.

I did get there eventually as a fully paid up punter (thanks to my employer) but always wanted to be an invited speaker. Crying over my beer one night in the company of Don Lorimer (editor of Co0mmon Foot Disorders) I shared my frustration that after all these years of hard graft etc I was never asked to speak at a big conference (and be paid) - his reply was after all his literary success he had never been invited as a speaker either. Back to the drawing board.

Wo is moi :)

Off to listen to the Archers pod cast.

toeslayer

7. davidh

Hello Cornmerchant,

1st year student who runs a car (even if its off the road), unofficial overdraft the size of a small easter european state. bills up to my (his) eyeballs...:rolleyes:

You really think a sub for £29 (or attending a Conference) is going to help this guy by the time he reaches end of Year Two?

I need £1.3 million rather urgently for a nine-bedroom house in the Wye Valley - with trout and salmon fishing rights. This request is to the whole mailbase BTW, not just Cornmerchant.
    The house is a real bargain and is absolutely necessary for my further professional development - honestly!
    I'm solvent, both my cars are on the road and my small business overdraft is well within agreed limits.

If just 500 members send me £2500 each I'll be well on the way:D.

Cornmerchant - get real.

Davidh

8. cornmerchant

Sorry David

I am still not getting your point.

Are you being facetious for the sake of it?

Cornmerchant

9. lol:D:D

10. davidh

My point is that if he can't find £29 then worrying about attending a conference should be the last thing on his mind.

I thought I was making myself reasonably clear. Perhaps you also think I'm serious about asking for £2500 from 500 members of the mailbase?
    If so please pm me asap and we can start with you:cool:

11. Bumblebee

Bumblebee Member

WOW.....!
    My intention was not to start a war....! Maybe finding money for a conference should not be the top of my list....!

One of the reasons I started podiatry was to enable myself to work my way out of the situation my wife and I find ourselves in presently and to make a better life for the both of us in the future.

The reasoning behind attending the conference, firstly is to find out for myself (in the real world) what practicing podiatrists are currently facing in practice, what issues are there around private practice, how easy is it to set up in PP?

And what the general political issues are in podiatry at the moment, being married to a very politically active Nurse/educator she often encourages me to involve myself with extracurricular learning opportunities.

My intention with my original post was to find out whether knew of scholarship funds ect I could tap in to, it was not a cap in hand begging post (though all donations greatly received) £29 doesn’t seen much but when you have just spent the last three years living with a wife in and out of hospital with gastric and rheumatoid problems, and now on half pay (of a crappy NHS managers pay to start with) along with trying to work full time and study i am sure you can imagine things are more than just a little tight.....!

If anyone can point my in a direction that might enable me to fund my attending the conference, that would be greatly appreciated.

On the subject of finance if anyone knows of any student scholarships of allowances I might be eligible to apply for that would also be of great help.

Off to the cardboard box now, time to sleep

Regards
    Whinging skint student

12. davidh

Hi,

Before beginning a three year full-time degree, and being in a somewhat vunerable position, you should have checked out the following:
    Prospects once qualified.
    Issues around PP.
    How easy is it to set up in Practice.
    Are you qualified (in terms of experience) to begin PP straight after qualification.

The political issues surrounding foot health provision in the UK are as important or unimportant as you want them to be.

A three-day "jolly" at a conference is, at best, going to show you one side of the coin.

Approach the SCP directly for scholarship/grant/funding information.

if you really think that attending the SCP conference will help you I should PM Cornmerchant and take up his very generous offer.

Davidh

13. cornmerchant

David

I dont know your circumstances, but when I applied for podiatry, as a mature student , I did not ask all those questions nor did any of my peer group. We all wanted to enter the profession and everyone you came into contact with praised the profession because they did not want to put you off! Mind you , had I known then what I know now, it would not have changed my mind, it is still a wonderful profession if you get your head down and do the job - there is no need to get tied up in politics and back stabbing when you have a successful practise.

I think Bumblebee has done his homework , he is far more in touch than any of my intake was- and there is no reason why he could not set up in private practise as soon as he qualifies- I did.

As for the 3 day "jolly"- it is not Tamworth he's going to, it's Harrogate.

Cornmerchant

14. davidh

Anyway, pay his £29, and lets move on.

15. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

The following may well be going over ground you have already covered?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educati...tyAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/index.htm

Many universites offer advice/assistance where financial hardship is a problem: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/funds/

I am aware that the link is to Cambridge University. It is just to give you some possible ideas for help.

I searched: financial hardship at university. Possibly worth following up at your place of study.

Good luck in your studies.

:empathy:

Mandy.

16. cornmerchant

David

I am not going to argue with you- and certainly not going to use bold text-
    When I said I did not know your circumstances, I meant that I did not know you when you were a potential student of Podiatry and whether you were aware of the politics etc. Nothing to do with your financial status.

Are you saying then , that financial hardship should rule out anyone who wants to study? Surely that is being a tad discriminative? There would be very few bums on seats if that were the case!

I say again, you do not need to go into the NHS on qualifying- so the argument that there will be no jobs shpould not deter students.

Tamworth by the way was 'tongue in cheek' ;)
    Yours respectfully

Cornmerchant

17. davidh

Anyway, back in the real world...

Do you know how much it costs to set up in PP?
    Forget Premieses and running costs for a sec....

professional body membership - say £300.
    A Chair or couch, say £500.
    5 sets instruments - say £200.
    A drill (say £1000.
    An operators chair £60.
    An autoclave - £1000? This is a guess. I know a decent new one will be much more.
    A desk.
    A unit with lamp.
    Materials.
    Stationary.
    Say £1000?

He's £4000+ down before the first patient steps through the door.
    This guy can't find £29 - and he's got another two years to go.

Looks like he may need to keep that PM handy!

18. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Dear David H,

An interesting comment as to the suitability of a new Graduate entering P/P straight after graduating.

I understand that you have a relationship with FHP's through the ORTHOPEDS site.

Now if after a 3 year degree course you consider somebody inadequately experienced to set up a P/P then how would you consider an FHP as they seem to be let loose on the public after a MUCH SHORTER course with much less clinical practice within that course.

So i am a bit bemused by your comment.:bash:

I agree with your sentiment regarding 29 quid for a conference when most attendees bar bills will considerably outweigh the 29 quid.:boohoo:

When i was a student in Plymouth several years ago the poly students were pleading poverty until the Brewery that supplied the student bar stated that the bar was the second largest client south of Bristol.

Ended the students protestations mighty smart.:deadhorse:

regards David

19. davidh

Good point:drinks.

20. cornmerchant

Davidh

Davohorn made a very good point, one which I still had up my sleeve!

I do not have experience of FHPs working within their remit nor referring on- is that a myth? I like the way you say most should be capable of limited practice- is that really ethical.? You have not really given any reason for your double standards.

I am sure bumblebee will be absolutely fine when he qualifies- there are such things as bank loans, small business loans etc- there would be no small business if we all took your stance.

Thank you for your information on setting up by the way, it comes a little too late for me as I am too far down the line , but it is good to know that your fountain of knowledge is available to anyone that asks.

Respectfully

Cornmerchant

21. davidh

Wee hidden agenda then Cornmerchant:rolleyes:?

FHPs are perfectly capable of ethical palliative footcare. Some are also just as good as some Pods when it comes to biomech. Some FHPs do refer on. They are just unlikely to refer to a hostile Pod or Pod Practice.

FHP practice is restricted in that they cannot inject or perform surgery.

22. davidh

I only included a list because you seem to need things spelled out for you sometimes.

Anyway, back on topic - have you sent Bumblebee his £29 yet?
    I hope one of you provides us with an update:D

23. cornmerchant

Finally in black and white you have stated on a public forum just what FHPs are there for- palliative foot care- not podiatry, as most would claim. I have not got the time to find examples of the countless times the argument has arisen when FHPs state that they do exactly the same as pods. This is obviously not true.

Incidentally, I was referring to your ethics not theirs!And you still havent answered the question as to why FHPs can go straight into PP but not Pods. Would that be because their scope of practise is so limited?

Cornmerchant

24. davidh

Please keep to topic.

25. cornmerchant

Nice one David.:D

I apologise for going off topic- I wont if you wont.

Cornmerchant

26. For the record, I've never had a "spell in the NHS", yet I have a successful private practice. As a third party, I find this debate highly amusing. Here's my half time synopsis : Cornmerchant is ****** with David because of his involvement with training so called "foot health professionals" and David would rather talk about anything other than his involvement with the so called "foot health professionals"...

Funny as ****. This is the topic now. Bring it on......

LoL, once again.

BTW I grew up near to Tamworth, it's was and always will be a **** hole. It's claim to fame being the snow dome and the once "great" (even though my late father would have me believe it was, I was never convinced) Reliant car factory situated nearby- think plastic pig, that's a Reliant robin to you, Royal, Trotter mobile etc. call it what you will. You know the original Scimitar was OK, shame they ruined it. Anyway, that's Tamworth for you. Anyway, that's off topic for you. :drinks

Carry on you two, this is great.. I haven't laughed this much since my right anterior cruciate ligament got snapped.

BTW I'll pay the bumblebot his 29 quid when he's done 29 quid worth of work for me.. For some people, that's clipping one set of toe-nails. 'Kin-hell what's the world come to? For all of you Midlander's and those who grew up and live north of this, ask yourself this question: "how much would your mum pay to have her toe-nails cut in the middle of a recession?" Then talk to me about an £18 rate that Sainsbury's is charging...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  27. cornmerchant

Simon

Your perception does you great credit, I would say you are spot on!

Sadly David is a moderator and as such has the freedom to pull the thread when it becomes inconvenient. That said, I am grateful for his patronage and keeping us on the straight and narrow. Somehow it has slipped my mind how we got off topic in the first place- oh yes, it was poor students not having the right to undertake a degree and not attending conference.

Well, I am truly happy to know that a degree does not prepare you for PP but a distance learning course does. I obviously have a lot to learn.

Humbly
    Cornmerchant

28. I don't think so. For that would be very callow indeed.

More to the point, have you ever been to Tamworth?:bash::drinks:butcher:

29. davidh

This thread is starting to become really silly.

You carry on guys.

30. cornmerchant

Simon
    Thankfully not.

It was the chosen venue at one stage for Davids colleagues on his other forum. Sadly , in many of our minds it was remembered for the demise of the Tamworth two- the famous pigs .

Not the most prestigious meeting place perhaps? :D

Cornmerchant

ps did you mean callow or shallow?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  31. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

Agreed. I am locking it. The decision has nothing to do with David and Craig is somewhere in Scotland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.