Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Reebok ZigTech- Energy drink for your feet!!

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by footfan, Dec 5, 2010.

1. footfan

footfan Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Can any of you biomechanists out there, please explain to me how a shoe can possible direct shockwaves through the sole of a shoe to give energy to your feet as the reebok zigtech claim . This seems rediculous to me !!! :eek::eek::eek:

Attached Files:

2. footfan

footfan Active Member

3. Griff

Griff Moderator

Seems Reebok are firmly back on the gimmicky footwear bandwagon (did they learn nothing from their last effort - the Easytone??)

Jon - I'd never take any of the claims these companies make seriously - its all about the $$$. Very nice websites with very little science or evidence; clearly not aimed at us, but at the consumer. As with all these fads (and similar ideas such as the On Running Shoe etc etc) I expect they will eventually fade away into the background.

Having said that lets think about what this shoe promises to do for one minute - increase shock absorption/reduce impact etc. Is this good for everyone? Hint: Zones of optimal leg stiffness.

But the main reason why I think this shoe will be an epic fail for Reebok? It's effin ugly.

P.S Lewis Hamilton a strange choice for the TV ad as well...

4. Yep. Fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. I'll look at the "science bit" later.

5. Griff

Griff Moderator

I'll save you the time... there ain't any...

6. Looks like the offspring of a mizuno wave plate and a nike free

7. Griff

Griff Moderator

With a heavy influence of mitochondria perhaps?

8. CamWhite

CamWhite Active Member

The Reebok Zig-Tech is now on the top of my list for shoes that I would least want to step in dog feces.

9. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

With that new wave of energy coursing along the sole of my foot on every strike, does that mean if I take a running kick at someones gonads I may be able to launch them into the stratosphere? (The gonads that is not the shoes?)

I don't care what fun you all poke at them, I want a pair!

10. CamWhite

CamWhite Active Member

They're actually pretty comfortable. I tried on a pair at a running shoe event. They didn't rock my world, but they were light and comfortable.

11. Griff

Griff Moderator

Light and comfortable maybe. But there are plenty of shoes which already tick those boxes. The fact is they promise to do something new. The real rub for me is if they can actually do what they promise to??

- Do they really send a wave of energy along the shoe?
    - Does the softer heel really slow down the rate of 'torque'?
    - Do they really reduce wear and tear by up to 20% on key leg muscles?

Show me the money!... er I mean evidence... show me the evidence...

Half-time verdict: Money making scheme based on unsubstantiated facts until proven otherwise.

12. Apparently" the softer heel slows down the rate of torque"

Very sexy website!!

13. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Having read through this thread 3 or 4 times now, it has only just dawned on me that you were referring to the shoe with this statement. I just assumed you were talking about Lewis Hamilton

Robin

14. footfan

footfan Active Member

lol to be fair lewis hamilton does have an extremely hot gf so if being ugly gets your nicole schwarzingerrererererer then someone get a bat and do the deed! On a serious note why can footwear companies make these claims?? Even the boob enhancer creams have to conduct some research otherwise they get trading standards on thier back...............i think i remember robert commenting on breast enhancing cream on here somewhere. Strange the things we remember

15. Griff

Griff Moderator

Jon, do you think Nicole goes out with Lewis for his looks??? Put another way - would she be with him if he was a shamopodist??

If your reading Nicole, what was it that first attracted you to multi-millionaire Lewis Hamilton?

16. Hey Freud, come over here. My friend just slipped ;)

17. On a serious note, athletic footwear manufacturers do a lot of research. The problem is with the marketing departments... "if you're in marketing kill yourself"- Hicks. For an alternative view on marketing see this post: http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showpost.php?p=183272&postcount=26 Each to their own.

18. Hey, you nicked that line... from me as I recall (but I can't remember where I nicked it from? Hicks, I fink).

19. footfan

footfan Active Member

If this was true and nicole was reading this the universe would actually collapse on itself

:pigs::pigs::pigs::pigs:

20. Griff

Griff Moderator

Not a fan of rhetoric Jon? Tough crowd...

21. Yeah, here he is on MC hammer- "Boy, that Hammer. There was another boat that left me on the island, man. "Bill, are you gonna get on the Hammer boat with us?" "No, I'd rather stay here and eat my own flesh." Beep, beep. Totally mystifying, I mean, you know you could sit and explain it to me from now until, well, the end of time, and I'll go, "****ing don't get it, man." I, It.. it's geni.. it's con, genital? it's err genetic!. Maybe it is genital, Hay, wait a minute. Freud, come here"

P.S. for those not familiar with the genius that was Bill Hicks, can I suggest you write to Santa and ask for something like:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00005AW...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B00005AWG5

Here's Bill on marketing, my opinions are similar, just planting seeds...:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

This is on my christmas list: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Collection-2CD-2DVD/dp/B003WR9N6U/ref=pd_sim_d_h__1

22. Dana Roueche

Dana Roueche Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I tried a pair of Ree Zigs on. I didn't need to go any further than stand in them. I could run down a long list of things I found wrong in the 60 seconds I had them on my feet but I'll spare everyone from that and just point out their biggest flaw. They elevate you way too far from the ground. By no means can these things be considered serious running shoes. With respect to running shoes, I am from the less is more camp and these shoes violate those principles in so many ways.

I am not familiar with the Mizuno wave plate but I do own a pair of Nike Free 3.0 V2. The Reebok Zigs are at the opposite end of the spectrum to the Nike Free 3.0.

Dana

23. Try googling wave plate. Starter for ten:
    http://www.mizunousa.com/tech.nsf/0/201460BD889EAB4385256E9B00681BE4?

http://www.staffs.ac.uk/isb-fw/Manuscr/Kaneko.pdf

etc...

While you're there:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour
    http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/19-ways-to-enhance-your-sense-of-humor/article16125.html

Note that the last link doesn't say: go for a run, become obsessed by running, live your life around running, bore all of you "friends" with anecdotes about running, wear lycra... etc... Although the wearing of lycra is quite comedy.

Another Hicks quote: "isn't it time that the human race stopped running, just for a minute?" Hit the nail on the head, Bill.

24. Highest form of flattery is plagerism. :drinks Its a good line.