Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Forced to 'shut up shop'

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by NewsBot, Nov 14, 2006.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Portsmouth Today are reporting:
    Sole trader forced to shut up shop

2. Anne McLean

Anne McLean Active Member

A sad tale.

This highlights the necessity to do one's homework thoroughly and to have a sound business plan, allowing for unseen contingencies, prior to setting up in practice.

Anne

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

Wendy, have you thought about retailling a few items(Creams, bracing, etc) and still provide your services? This way you could get around the 'change of use'.

Obviously your business rate will be higher, but as you will not be selling over £60,000 worth of creams (if you do let me know!) you would be vat exempt.

You would also keep business ticking over until you find a more suitable premises, keep your clients etc, and when you have found and moved in you could tell 'Portsmouth Today' about the happy ending - and get some free advertising etc.

Good luck

Jonathan

4. George Brandy

George Brandy Active Member

I do have much sympathy with Wendy.

Obviously there has been a communication breakdown somewhere along the way between Havant Borough Council, Landlord and business owner.

I can't stress how important it is to take up any free advice there is available from the council planning officers, fire service, building regulators before you even contemplate starting work converting premises for business use. Many localities within the UK have business advice centres and it is all free.

Building inspectors, fire safety officers all come and visit premises and offer free advice....well, I say free; this is what we pay for when we pay our rates.

Forums such as this offer a wealth of support and advice.

I do wonder if Wendy's professional body offered any advice about setting up a business from scratch.

There are so many people out there willing to offer advice to "new to business" that all it takes is good research, lots of questions asked, lots of brains picked and this sorry tale would so easily have been avoided.

GB

5. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

I have little sympathy with anyone in business who does not do their homework.

In this case a few hundred pounds would have secured the services of a solicitor who would have known the (elementary I would have thought) fact that you need change of use planning permission anywhere in England if Premises are to be used for a different type of trade.

The Landlord didn't know either?
    Hmmmmm.... :cool:

Regards,
    David