Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Access to Dermal fillers and Botox in the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by podpaul, Nov 5, 2010.

1. podpaul

podpaul Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi All,

Does anyone know the mechanism of how Podiatrists trained to inject botox and dermal fillers go about accessing these products as they are not available on the the A&S list Podiatrists hold.

I have contacted the organisers of the course advertised in Podiatry Now but have had no response.

Thanks!

2. AngieR

AngieR Active Member

Podpaul

If you had been trained then I would assume you would have received the information from your course providers.

If, on the otherhand, you did not train with the company who advertised in Pod Now, then I can only assume they do not want to provide you with their nurse practitioner details to obtain the products as they don't know your level of knowledge and, therefore, cannot guarantee you meet their standard.

As a practitioner qualified by their route, I have no problems obtaining the products! I am also quite surprised you did not get a reply as they are normally quite good.

Angie

3. podpaul

podpaul Active Member

Hi Angie,

Thanks for your post. I have not undertaken this course - but am keen to do so. I was really just doing some research to see if I would be able to obtain the products afterwards. The courses are quite expensive and I want to make sure I would be able to use the skills after completing the course before spending the money.

So any infor would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul.

4. AngieR

AngieR Active Member

Hi Paul,

The dermal fillers are readily available as it is not a prescription item, botilinum toxin is and as such you need a private prescription from an IPP. If you attend the course you will be given all the answers.

On a seperate note to all who are reading this :santa: I saw the first lights in a window yesterday! I believe I am turning into scrooge - bah humbug

Angie

5. Angie do you know of any studies looking into long term usage of Botox - do they discuss the negative side of things on the course- if there is any ?

6. Happy Feet

Happy Feet Welcome New Poster

Hi AngieR

I too have been trying to contact the course providers to ask a few questions before booking myself on the course as I agree with Podpaul its a lot of money to spend if you have difficulty sourcing the botilinum toxin after the course. I have left my number twice but have still not had a call back.

Would you be kind enough to confirm do you need to find you own IPP for the private prescription? or do they have one that you can use when you have done the course with them?

Also would you recommend the course???

Thanks AngieR

7. blinda

blinda MVP

8. BotoxDoc

BotoxDoc Welcome New Poster

9. Saver

Saver Welcome New Poster

That's strange because when we train nurses who can't prescribe, we give them a list of prescribers that they can work with

10. Lisa moore

Lisa moore Member

There are only two Legal providers of these courses in the UK for Podiatrists. The one I did was fantastic and gave me all the information, training and mentoring I needed. I now practice as an Aesthetics Practitioner and keep my podiatry completely separate. If you are not an IPP you will be given one or advised on the course about the legal ways to obtain your Botulinum Toxins. Dermal Fillers as previously mentioned you can just order as they are not POMs.

11. Saver

Saver Welcome New Poster

Sadly there is no regulation in the industry, so doubt that the two providers you mentioned are the only 2 legal providers. Our insurance, at Hamilton Fraser allows us to train podiatrists too. It's simply a personal choice of the training provider. You may want to check with suppliers first, because I know some dermal filler distributors and pharmacies won't dispense to podiatrists.