Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Low Dye Taping - PF 1st Ray?

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by abby, Mar 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. abby

abby Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I was wondering what people thought about PF the 1st ray when low dye taping?

Thanks!

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    It lowers the force substantially needed to establish the windlass mechanism if the first ray is plantarflexed --> reduces tissue stress in plantar fascia.

Do jacks test/hubscher manuvre before and after putting on tape with and without the first ray plantarflexed ....

Problem is the effect of the tape to do this does not last long.

3. Mark Egan

Mark Egan Active Member

I have found it very effective with acute plantar fasciitis patients but it can also be uncomfortable to wear as well as difficult to apply without twisting the midfoot.

Out of interest do you start the tape from lateral to medial ?

4. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

I always go lateral to medial as the last thing I do (after inverting foot) is plantarflex the first ray.

5. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

6. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

I rather like to do that.See,if you can relieve the stress on the first ray-and that is the point of doing this with plantar fascitis/heel spur patients,to relieve 1st ray stress-you can help folks with plantarflexed 1st ray.

7. Zac

Zac Active Member

Can someone explain how they plantarflex the 1st ray with tape? I have been applying a low dye strapping & then lastly I apply a strip starting over the dorsal aspect of the 1st met head then coming medially around the 1st MPJ attempting to apply a plantarflexory force before passing across the plantar surface of the foot & attaching to the lateral side of the foot.

8. efuller

efuller MVP

You plantar flex the met before you put the tape on. The critical piece of tape is the one that goes from the medial heel to the first met head. That part of the tape essentially applies the same forces as the plantar fascia. It doesn't really matter if you go proximal to distal or distal to proximal, once the tape is on tension is tension. You can go from the medial side of the heel to both the plantar and medial aspect of the metatarsal head with multiple pieces of tape.

Why do you put tape on the dorsal aspect of the met head?
    Eric

9. Zac

Zac Active Member

Thanks Eric. I believe I am attepting to plantarflex the 1st metatarsal by how I am applying the tape to the dorsal aspect of the 1st met head & applying a plantarflexory force on it.

10. Tim Foran

Tim Foran Active Member

You could always combine a plantarfascial taping in combination with the low-dye. Or if you just want to plantarflex the 1st start medially extend around the heel and come from the lateral border across to the medial side and apply to the plantar aspect of the 1st MTPJ.

11. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Raising the medial longitudinal arch plantarflexes the first ray by default in relation to the lesser metatarsals.

12. efuller

efuller MVP

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you are putting tape on top of the met head wrapping around the medial side of the met head and then going plantar to the other met heads. This would help pull the met head medially ( an interesting thought in bunions.) But this will not plantar flex the metatarsal once you let go of the tape. Think about the direction of pull of the tape and the lever arm that it has on the first ray.

Eric

13. Zac

Zac Active Member

Eric would you care to give me a diagram of your suggested taping if not too much too ask?

14. efuller

efuller MVP

I don't have a picture handy. I'll try and remember to take one next time I do one. Anyone else?

Eric