Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Working overseas Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Louise Wilson, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Louise Wilson

Louise Wilson Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello,

I am considering a possible move in the near future due to my partner's work taking him over to Canada. At the moment we are not sure which province/state, therefore i am wondering if anyone out there can give me advice regarding podiatry and working.

I have been searching online but a lot of sites have different answers.

Could someone please let me know in which areas in Canada will my UK degree Bsc(Hons)Podiatry let me work. I am aware many states require a Dpodm, but with my current qualifications is there anywhere i could get employment as a Podiatrist.

And advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Louise

2. simonf

simonf Active Member

As you have found out canada is different from province to province, with a BSc from the UK you should be able to get a licence in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, ontario(but you will have to work as a Chiropodist not Podiatrist) I think also new brunswick, and one of the other eastern provinces are unregulated.

for more information, try googling the provincial regulators there is not an overarching national regulator, each province looks after its own patch.

Obviously you will need to have appropriate immigration status and legal ability to work ie, you will need to be a permanent resident or have a work permit which will be attached to a particular job. You should have a look at the canadian immigration department website at www.cic.gc.ca for more info on the process

hope this helps

simon

3. Sarah-Jane

Sarah-Jane Member

Hi Louise,

I'm from Ireland, trained in Edinburgh and I moved to Saskatchewan last year as my fiance is from here. I can work here with my BSc. I know you can also work in Manitoba. There is no registration exam in these places. A lot of the Podiatrists in Saskatchewan are UK trained. If you're interested in Saskatchewan you should check out www.scop.ca.

I looked at working in Toronto and you have to do a registration exam which is held over 2 days. Exams are held once a year in June. The website is http://www.cocoo.on.ca/ and I just emailed them and asked for information on registering and working there.

You need a DPodM in Alberta and B.C. which is unfortunate as I would love to live in B.C. !
    I'm not sure about Quebec or Newfoundland, you would have to contact the Podiatry Associations there. I think you would be ok working in Newfoundland with your degree but I'm not 100% on that.

I live in Saskatoon, SK which is a really nice city. Saskatchewan is basically the prairies and is a little strange until you get used to the wide open spaces. I've been here for a year and a half now and really like it. It gets fairly cold out here and lots of snow but its a lovely place.

Hope this info is a little bit helpful. Good luck and hope everything works out for you.
    Take care
    Sarah-Jane

4. Sarah-Jane

Sarah-Jane Member

Hi, just picked up on what Simon mentioned above about working as a Chiropodist not a Podiatrist.
    Everyone registered as a member of the SCOP (Saskatchewan) is considered a Podiatrist. We work within the same scope of practice as in the UK. Where I work, I feel I get to use every aspect of my training, it is a really varied workload.
    Just wanted to let you know, not trying to nit pick, sorry Simon!
    Take care
    SJ

5. Louise Wilson

Louise Wilson Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom, much appreciated, I'll get on to the provincial associations now and see what I can find out.

Also, how do the annual salaries compare with the UK?

Cheers,

Louise

6. simonf

simonf Active Member

Depends how hard you work! I was working 2.5 days a week on a fee split last year and grossed about the same as a band 6 full time. I was mainly dealing with MSK and orthotics are a big part of practice, if you are doing chip and clip earning would be slower,
    However my tax burden was probably higher and on balance id say the cost of living in canada is higher than uk especially if you rent. so all in all not much in it

s

7. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

8. Graham

Graham RIP

9. mgrig

mgrig Active Member

Australian pod here living in Vancouver...

There is one option that has not been mentioned --> taking a pay cut for approx 1000hrs of supervised training, and becoming a pedorthist. Obviously you would be limited to orthotic/footwear based services, but its always good to take some insight from another profession.

http://www.cpedcs.ca/

I am of the understanding the qualification gives you the freedom to practice all over Canada (correct me if i am wrong).

10. hmartin

hmartin Welcome New Poster

Hi everyone , i too am looking at info for living and working in Canada, i am a uk trained Podiatrist (BSc hons) , my husband is a builder and plasterer, i have 2 teenage sons, after searching all the official websites- is it wise to have a job offer in place first before immigration status or vice versa? Are there many employment opportunities available as pods? info greatly appreciated thanks
    Heather

11. simonf

simonf Active Member

Hi heather, its a bit of a catch 21 really. A Work permit will be attached to a specific job, and so in that sense you need a job offer. In that scenario the job offer needs to take into account that you will then have to do paperwork for permit which could take several months.

Alternatively you could look to applying for permanent resident status, this means that you can legally enter and stay in canada without a job, providing you can support yourself. In this case you could work for yourself. or apply for a local job. Podiatry is not generally provided by the provincial health plans, so there is no large employers taking pods on as there can be in the uk.

If your husband was the primary work permit applicant, you might be able to get an open work permit, but I think that precludes you from working in health - you would need to check this on the immigration website I posted earlier in the thread

hope this helps

s

12. hmartin

hmartin Welcome New Poster

hi S thanks for info greatly appreciated, it all sounds very confusing, by the sounds of things i am going to struggle finding a job so maybe it be best to set up on my own? but not sure of the costs over in canada are they approx same as uk? is there more demand than supply in canada? or vice versa? thanks Heather

13. simonf

simonf Active Member

Demand is probably dependent on where you are. Canada has a very low population density. eg in Winnipeg there are about 20 pods practicing, the population is 700k or thereabouts, there may be scope for another 1 or 2 to set up. I cant really comment on other areas, but most folks I know make more than they would as a nhs band 6 and probably work less hours

Most folks seem to buy equipment from UK suppliers, so costs are the same plus shipping but dont underestimate the challenge of setting up a new business in a new country. You will have no credit rating, which will make getting a credit card difficult and potentially dealing with suppliers can be difficult too as new immigrant.

14. TracyA

TracyA Welcome New Poster

Hi Louise

Just to let you know that I have a position open in Manitoba. If you are interested look it up under job opportunities in Canada on Pod Arena then drop me a line to discuss further.