Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Statistics on regrowth from PNA

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by Clement114, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Clement114

Clement114 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Anyone has any stats for the chances of regrowth after a PNA procedure? Or any other stats relevant PNAs?

Thanks

2. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

Hello Clement114,
    I believe that Judith Barbaro-Brown, a lecturer at new College Durham, did do a study on this topic for an M.A. some time ago.

I know that she reads posts on this forum so hopefully she will be able to help you locate the document.

regards

Catfoot

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have always thought it was around 1-3%

4. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

Craig,
    I would agree but thought it would be helpful if the OP could read a paper on the topic.

regards

Catfoot

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    This is an oldy, but it was from one of my teachers:
    The regrowth rate was in that if anyone can actually get a hold of the paper!

6. Clement114

Clement114 Member

Thanks for the help guys

7. brekin

brekin Active Member

From a previous thread in Podiatry Arena: RCT of ingrown nail surgery

8. Clement114

Clement114 Member

oh thanks for this brekin

9. brekin

brekin Active Member

No problem. There is a better article from the same previous thread:

10. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Can I ask a quick clarification question?

I realize the nomenclature varies from country to country, so I'm a little confused as to what PNA is?

I use this as a Partial Nail Avulsion ( or more commonly an I&D ) as opposed to a total nail avulsion.

When we do a partial it's almost always for an infected nail, thus the I&D - incision and drainage.

If a permanent procedure is done on one border or another...Partial P&A (phenol and alcohol)
    If a frost, winograd, etc...are done it's partial or total nail radial or partial or total matrixectomy.

SO..... what's a PNA?

Steve

11. Steve we discussed last year "P.N.A." What does it stand for? as the OP is from Australia Partial Nail Avulsion I think it is only DPM who use phenol and alcohol

12. drsarbes

Well, if PNA stands for a Partial Nail Avulsion then I assume the regrowth rate is 100%!

Steve

13. Rounding C, Bloomfield S. Surgical treatments for ingrowing toenails. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 1999

14. Shalom

Shalom Active Member

Here you go mate;

'The phenol alcohol partial chemical matri-
    cectomy has been discussed by many authors.
    Rinaldi et al dealt with the problem of treat-
    ment and prevention of infection, and Siegle et
    al present the data on 30 patients and Robb
    and Murrayzg on 151 toes. The recurrence rates
    were 2% and 4%, respectively. '
    - Nail Surgery -
    Richard K, Scher. MD -

Shalom.
    Ps- See original Scher article attached.

Attached Files:

15. drsarbes

"Avulsion with phenol versus avulsion without phenol
    The addition of phenol, when performing a total or partial nail avulsion dramatically reduces the rate of symptomatic recurrence..."

I would submit that if a patient has a pyogenic paronychia with no previous history of a similar condition then a simple partial nail resection (call it what you will) may in fact give long term results. Not because the procedure itself is corrective but because the patient simply is not predisposed to recurrent infections.

If, on the other hand, a patient gives a history of recurrent pyogenic paronychias at any given site, then a simple partial nail resection (without matrixectomy) will likely do nothing more than treat the immediate infection.

In essence, it's the selection of the sample group in these studies that will effect the results. If they are selected only by whether they have an infected nail and not by historical prevalence of infection, then the results will
    be in favor of successful long term treatment.

I can't think of an easier procedure then the Partial Phenol and alcohol procedure. If you are getting 5% failure rate then I would assume you would need to refine your technique.

Fairly simple stuff I think.

Steve

16. Shalom

Shalom Active Member

Interesting you say that mate, the same would go for 95% of other podiatry related sample populations that are utilised. However, the predisposition to recurrent infection lies perfectly in the systemic health of the patient and not necessarily on whether or not there was infection prior. A pyogenic paronychia will usually also need antibiotic treatment in the immunosuppresed or compromised individual, such as those patients presenting with elevated BGL, HBA1c, Lupus etc.

Kind regards,
    Shalom.