Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Metatarsal stress fractures in cricket fast bowlers

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Craig Payne, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I recently had the opportunity to participate in a high performance cricket conference at the AIS. Met stress fractures are becoming a big problem in fast bowlers, so I was asked to give a presentation and some ideas on it.

As part of preparing for that I got to look at a number of videos. Here is one of them. Watch the forefoot contact and hyperextended knee .... and they wonder why there are so many metatarsal stress fractures!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

Paynie, what did they end up doing about this?

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I also cringe when you see what the back is going through in those bowlers - they also get a lot of back problems!
    The solution to the problem of met stress factors I suggested was deal with the following (the first two are obvious!):
    1) Make sure bone health was ok (ie no osteorprosis or underlying problem)
    2) Increase the ability of the bone to take the load (ie progressive overload and adaptation)
    3) Decrease the forefoot/metatarsal dorsiflexion moments (ie change 'form' & foot plant; orthotic intervention)

The orthotic intervention is going to be a challenge as it needs to incorporate design features that decrease that forefoot dorsiflexion moment and/or increase the rearfoot dorsiflexion moment ...... but given the forefoot contact in the above video, that ain't going to work too well.

Changing the 'form' & foot plant is also going to be a challenge as these guys are elite athletes - do you want to tamper with the 'form' that made them elite?

5. Craig:

When treating runners with a history of metatarsal stress fractures, I have had good results with foot orthoses that have a 2-3 mm anterior edge thickness to increase the ground reaction force (GRF) on the metatarsal necks where the bending moments on the metatarsals are greatest. This orthosis modification will also decrease the GRF plantar to the metatarsal heads, which further decreses the metatarsal bending moments. The same orthosis modification (which will need to individualized for each athlete) should work quite nicely for these cricket players also, with minimal expected change in performance or break-in period.

6. Bruce Williams

Bruce Williams Well-Known Member

Craig;

It would seem this is an issue of breaking and shear forces as well. Is it mandatory for the bowler to throw with a straight leg for it to be legal?

Bruce

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    It's not mandatory; but they all do it. These guys are lethal; they bowl really fast - you do not want to be facing them. To bowl that fast they generate the high forces that are causing all the met stress fractures (and low back problems).

8. Bruce Williams

In baseball the pitcher is allowed to push from the fixed rubber in the pitching mound. Seeing how cricket bowlers get a running start it would make sense, to me anyway, for them to pivot over a fixed straight leg to generate the most power for delivery. That should lead to tremendous braking forces at the foot on the pivot. The bowler video you posted above has a hyperextended knee as you stated and this should be in response to his attempting to stop the ankle from pivoting as well. very interesting!

The only thing I might suggest beyond what you and Kevin suggested would be a heel lift, but i'm not really sure that would be affective in this instance. It seems the bowler is fighting to keep the foot planted to the ground, in a way like a pole from pole vaulting? I think the lift would help to decrease the knee hyperextension, but the bowler might not find that helpful.

Nice post Craig! Thanks
    Bruce

9. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Hi Craig

I'm no expert in this area; however, there are a couple of points which intrigue me. Is the affected met most frequently the 2nd? Do you ascribe the # purely to the braking and shear forces or do you feel that the inversion twist on the immediate follow-through might be involved here? I'm really thinking from the point of view of the anatomy of the 2nd TMTJ and the effects of a twist to that area. (For those of our colleagues who do not have the good fortune to be aware of the niceties of the game, the bowler is strictly banned from running straight down the pitch, hence the necessary twist following delivery of the ball (however, Australians have been known to do this!)

All the best

Bill

10. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

We did a mod for fast bowler about 2-3 years ago, it involved increased heel pitch(6mm), a full length metal shank(carbon fiber he felt was not rigid enough) orthosis and a rocker sole, overall a sole increase of 12mm.

Besides helping reduce his injury, his theory was that as a shoe flexed and his foot distorted, he lost some the power/speed he delivered through to the ball?

He had sesamoid and some muscle damage, l believe he is still bowling in them with no more issue...it did change his run up approach for the first few weeks and he had to change shoes for fielding and bating.

11. Bruce Williams

Brillian David! Accentuate the motion of the shoe and minimize the motion of the foot.
    Nice!
    Bruce

12. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Bill, that hurt ...... we also bowl underarm occasionally (but only to our close 'cousins', those of the 'Great White Cloud').

13. W J Liggins

Hi Mark

Be of good cheer

I am old enough to remember when Tony Gregg (an SA mecenary - and we have a few of those now) did similar for England!

14. efuller

efuller MVP

A very interesting motion for throwing. It appears the foot that is planting just before the release is always plantar flexed. It also appears that the plantar flexion is attempt to stop forward motion of the lower extremity to allow the upper body to pivot over the lower body to get some more angular velocity into the throw. I'm assuming that folks, over the years, have experimented with different deliveries and the video demonstrates the "best" delivery.

Anyway, it appears in the run up to the relaese, there is plenty of dorsiflexion of the ankle. It would appear that the plantarflexed position at the release is a choice and part of the delivery. Therefore, I would not recommend a heel lift as the person will just have to plantar flex their ankle more to get the desired effect. I'm going to assume that the stress fractures occur in the plant foot that is plantar flexed at the release. I'd be willing to bet that the metatarsal that gets fractured is the longest one. Assuming that this is correct, for treatment you would need a way to get even force distribution across the metatarsals when the foot is plantarflexed in the the throwing position. Hopefully this doesn't screw up the run up to the release.

Just some thoughts.

15. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    (I could crack a joke about cricket not being played in the USA.....)
    The ball reaches speeds close to 100mph/160kmh. Even looking at the photo in the wikipedia page below - look how high they jump for that last step before planting the front foot.

Fast bowling

Fast bowling (also referred to as pace bowling) is one of two main approaches to bowling in the sport of cricket, the other being spin bowling. Practitioners of pace bowling are usually known as fast bowlers, quicks, or pacers. They can also be referred to as a seam bowler, a swing bowler or a fast bowler who can swing it to reflect the predominant characteristic of their deliveries. Strictly speaking, a pure swing bowler does not need to have a high degree of pace, though dedicated medium-pace swing bowlers are rarely seen at Test level in modern times. There are different categories in fast bowling known in international cricket such as fast bowling, medium fast bowling, medium bowling, etc.

16. markjohconley

A different, but very effective, technique was used by Jeff Thomson, a 'slingshot' style
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tFgtzeA2M
    was one of the quickest ever.
    Please note I didn't select this because it was the English cricket team on the receiving end.

17. For you Americans that think that cricket means a bunch of men in white suits wating around for something exciting to happen, and for all of you other folks across the pond who think baseball makes no sense at all, here is a good article on the similarities and differences between these two "bat and ball games".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_cricket_and_baseball

And, by the way, Craig, cricket is played in the USA, but very infrequently since baseball is still very, very popular here (that was the first sport I loved and played). Rugby, however, is becoming much more popular here with most of the high schools here in Sacramento having a boys rugby teams. Now rugby is a sport I would have loved playing in my younger days.

Also, the orthopedic surgeon that I worked with for 16 years, Fred Khasigian, has coached and managed one of the local high school rugby teams to 4 national high school rugby champtionships. Here is nice article about the development of rugby here in California high schools over the past 15 years for those that are interested how rugby is doing in the USA.

http://www.erugbynews.com/article.php?sec=365&a=569

18. markjohconley

Brought up on rugby I'm now a big fan of NFL, enjoy watching the uncondensed version where they go through each play, mark

19. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

If it is always the longest metatarsal being fractured, would it not be possible to create a localised metatarsal head relief (as would be done for a plantar plate tear) to reduce the bending moment at the metatarsal in addition to increasing the length of the shank of the shoe(and perhaps also the stiffness) to the proximal end of the metatarsal head. This woudl reduce the bending moment at the metatarsal.

Only other thing would be to ensure that the spike of the shoe was nowhere near the longest metatarsal head.

20. Fast Bowlers are a different breed with all sorts of tricks to keep the feet healthy. Any and all of the biomechanical interventions mentioned above are often employed as well as cutting the toes out of boots, hikers wool, special socks.......the "technical" term we use for a heavy front foot strikers is the "slapper", this term may not catch on...

As a podiatrist, i do a lot of work with Queensland (that’s National League for all you Base Ball Lovers) Bulls Fast Bowlers and local first grade cricket teams. In addition to the problem of Metatarsal stress fractures there are other conditions to be considered, commonly fat pad syndrome, shin splints and stress reactions in the Tibia/Fibula and lateral ankle pathologies. It is a fine line when altering the forces on the foot and leg at the front crease, merely deflecting the forces can result in disaster (blisters and subungal haems are show stoppers!).

It is important to redistribute the loads in a case by case basis working to the particular biomechanics of the individual bowlers (I made the Australian U17 team many moons ago and broke down with Tibial Stress fractures).

I have found using a combination of high speed video gait analysis synchronised with Parotec Dynamic in shoe pressure measurement to be the most effective for diagnosis and evaluation of the forces being transmitted through the front foot. This also allows me to objectively assess changes made to the orthotic prescription. The overlay of the pressure measurement can also be integrated into the modelling software to allow Paromed CAD CAM orthotic production with the peak pressures highlighted. It is amazing to see the difference that semi compressed felt or, as Kevin suggested a 2-3 mm wedge, can make. Being able to quantify and make changes on the spot and re-evaluate allows the practitioner to get excellent results.

The Parotec Dynamic Inshoe Pressure measurement is a wide ranging diagnostic tool. Traditionally many podiatrist see its application for high risk feet, such as the Diabetic Foot, but more recently I have been involved with Podiatrists working with elite athletes, not only cricket. The most interesting case in the past 2 weeks is the power lifter (weights) and performance gain achieved by understanding pressure distribution (and the alteration of with orthotics and wedging) during his lift.
    Craig, I am more than happy to share some data with you with my cricketers, send me an email.
    Andrew Barlow
    Clinical Director Paromed Australia

21. Johnny G

Johnny G Welcome New Poster

I have played cricket myself for a long time now and still do. The action which is queried earlier can be changed and often it changes with every delivery type. The foot position and strike will vary greatly between each delivery type ie outswinger or inswinger so it can be difficult to make changes to incorporate this situation. The other factor is whether or not the bowler bowls "front on" or "open". We see less of the open actions as they believed earlier that this could cause greater back issues than front on bowling. I am not sure about that. Having said that I have seen plenty of rearfoot strikers at delivery but the degree of plantarflexion is brutal. I have seen this particularly with bowlers that have a high jump at point of delivery. Interesting stuff. One thing is for sure my body is nearly stuffed bowling little mediums for 30 years.

22. W J Liggins

Hi Andrew

Have you found that the 2nd met is most commonly affected and do you ascribe this purely to the sagittal forces or do you feel that the supination and abductory twist are involved. I've never seen this (I don't work in sports) but I suppose that the site and nature of the # may offer a clue?

All the best

Bill

23. Bmuellerpod

Bmuellerpod Welcome New Poster

Hi All,
    My first post for a long time...
    I know a shotputter who had metatarsal stress fracture problems in his foot that he plants last before releasing the shotput.
    He ended up using a full length metal insole (for want of a better description), as suggested above, and had great results.
    Similar kind of action in both sports I suppose.
    Thanks for the thread and the great forum- I look forward to my weekly updates!
    Cheers,
    Beth

24. Hi,

Great questions.

Johnny G, I certainly identify an increased incidence rate for lower limb and back injuries with a "mixed action" where one half of the body is "open" (or front on) in technique and the other half is side on (ie torso is front on, legs are side on). This leads to torsion forces, particularly in the lower back and abdbuctory twisting of the back foot. The front foot placement is indeed very important not only due to the type of delivery but the forces that are transmitted. I have found that an abducted front foot tends to create large lateral forces and sometimes lateral ankle pathologies. I measure this with Parotec in shoe pressure measurement. Interestingly, podiatric intervention of the front foot changes the bowlers line (aim) and ability to swing (move the ball -like a curve ball) the ball largely.

Bmueller Pod- the changes made by creating a metal shank through the whole shoe creates a "Post Op' shoe like pressure measurement, it does not allow the pathological motion! A great example of using biomechanics to relieve symptoms (with metal!) however not practical with the rapid deceleration that occurs in a bowling action front foot strike!

Bill, the players pre-existing biomechanical alignment will generally determine which overuse injury occurs first, for example a congenital short first metatarsal on a fast bowler is likely to create the sagittal plane pivot point over the second metatarsal head and to some extent create excessive loads on the joint distal to the first MPJ- the IPJ of the hallux. This shows up very clearly on the in shoe pressure measurement and I am usually able to immediately reduce symptoms by designing the orthotic around the pressure measurement with respect to the high speed footage of the bowling action.

The fast bowling action is a high impact activity that must be repeated 100’s of times per day; overuse injuries are all too common. I have found that there is no “right” prescription as such, the results of the orthotic should be evaluated and changes made to increase the effectiveness. With technology like Parotec in shoe pressure measurement/CAD-CAM you can objectively diagnose, evaluate and adjust, creating the best result from the device. You are also able to measure the effects of different variables such as material densities, footwear and playing/training surfaces.

25. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Injury in elite New Zealand cricketers 2002–2008: descriptive epidemiology
    Warren Leonard Frost, David John Chalmers
    Br J Sports Med doi:10.1136/bjsports-2012-091337

26. NewsBot

Articles:
    The influence of cricket fast bowlers' front leg technique on peak ground reaction forces.
    Worthington P, King M, Ranson C.
    J Sports Sci. 2012 Oct 25.

27. NewsBot

Articles:
    The Athletic Profile of Fast Bowling in Cricket: A review
    Johnstone, J.A.; Mitchell, A.C.S.; Hughes, G.; Watson, T.; Ford, P.A.; Garrett, A.T.
    Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research: 26 July 2013

28. Admin2

Spikes in acute workload are associated with increased injury risk in elite cricket fast bowlers
    Billy T Hulin, Tim J Gabbett, Peter Blanch, Paul Chapman, David Bailey, John W Orchard
    Br J Sports Med doi:10.1136/bjsports-2013-092524

29. Admin2

Spikes in acute workload are associated with increased injury risk in elite cricket fast bowlers
    Billy T Hulin, Tim J Gabbett, Peter Blanch, Paul Chapman, David Bailey, John W Orchard
    Br J Sports Med doi:10.1136/bjsports-2013-092524

30. NewsBot

Articles:
    Effects of footwear on lead limb knee and ankle joint kinematics in a fast bowler with a history of posterior ankle joint impingement-a case report.
    Bishop C, Bartold S, Thewlis D.
    Clin J Sport Med. 2013 Nov;23(6):491-3.

31. NewsBot

Articles:
  32. NewsBot

Articles:
    A FIVE-YEAR INVESTIGATION INTO THE INCIDENCE AND NATURE OF CRICKET INJURIES IN ELITE SOUTH AFRICAN SCHOOLBOY CRICKETERS
    R Stretch
    Br J Sports Med 2014;48:663 doi:10.1136/bjsports-2014-093494.275
    Abstracts from the IOC World Conference on Prevention of Injury & Illness in Sport, Monaco 2014

33. NewsBot

Articles:
    INJURY TYPES AND RATES IN AN INTERNATIONAL CRICKET TEAM: APPLICATION OF SUBSEQUENT INJURY CATEGORISATION
    S Mount, I Moore, C Ranson
    Br J Sports Med 2014;48:642 doi:10.1136/bjsports-2014-093494.218
    Abstracts from the IOC World Conference on Prevention of Injury & Illness in Sport, Monaco 2014

34. NewsBot

Articles:
    Br J Sports Med 2014;48:708-712 doi:10.1136/bjsports-2013-092524

35. NewsBot

Articles:
    Injury in elite New Zealand cricketers 2002–2008: descriptive epidemiology
    Warren Leonard Frost, David John Chalmers
    Br J Sports Med 2014;48:1002-1007 doi:10.1136/bjsports-2012-091337

36. NewsBot

Articles:
    Fast bowling match workloads over 5 to 26 days and risk of injury in the following month
    John W. Orchard, Peter Blanch, Justin Paoloni, Alex Kountouris, Kevin Sims, Jessica J. Orchard, Peter Brukner
    Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport; Articles in Press

37. NewsBot

Articles:
    Cricket fast bowling workload patterns as risk factors for tendon, muscle, bone and joint injuries
    John W Orchard, Peter Blanch, Justin Paoloni, Alex Kountouris, Kevin Sims, Jessica J Orchard, Peter Brukner
    Br J Sports Med doi:10.1136/bjsports-2014-093683

38. NewsBot

Articles:
  39. NewsBot

Articles:
    Does maximising ball speed in cricket fast bowling necessitate higher ground reaction forces?
    King MA, Worthington PJ, Ranson CA.
    J Sports Sci. 2015 Jul 17:1-6

40. NewsBot

Articles:
    The association between lower limb biomechanics and ball release speed in cricket fast bowlers: a comparison of high-performance and amateur competitors.
    Middleton KJ et al
    Sports Biomech. 2016 Apr 18:1-13