Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Reasons for burning feet

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by emoclew, Feb 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. emoclew

emoclew Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Wondering if anyone could provide me with some alternative suggesions for burning feet and/or numb other than the well known such as diabetes or nerve compressions. I have a lady who is 42 with burning, yet cold feet. No hx of chilblains, doppler looks good, SFVPFT of 5 sec, no medication. Are there any psycological reasons?

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I wrote this a while ago for a lay person's websites on burning feet:

4. ft-biz

ft-biz Member

Local causes : contact dermatitis, ischemia,venous insufficiency,vasospastic disorders,sciatica,spinal chord lesions,porokeratosis plantaris discretum
    Generalized causes: drugs,uremia, sarcoidosis,malignancies,infection, beriberi,leprosy,phycosis,amyloidosis, and heavy metals and chemical intoxicants

Obviously these are in additional to heriditary neuropathy,tarsal tunnel syndrome,alcoholism, diabetes mellitus, pernicius anemia,hypothyroidism, polycythemia
    vera, causalgia

I hope this helps

5. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

IMHO the description of "burning feet" is just screaming out for someone to just call it "peripheral neuropathy" in almost all cases.

To put the other posts into a more easily remembered format, try the acronym " DANG THERAPIST" whenever you are stumped over the cause of a peripheral neuralgia/buring feet:

D - Diabetes
    A - Amyloid
    N - Nutritional (eg B12 deficiency)
    G - Guillain-Barre

T - Toxic (eg amiodarone)
    H - Heriditary
    E - Endocrine
    R - Recurring (10% of G-B) Alcohol
    P - Porphyria
    I - Idiopathic
    S - Sarcoid
    T - Thyroid (-hypo)

I find the top causes are usually diabetes, hypothyroidism and B12 deficiency.

Its a handy one to commit to memory.

LL

6. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

thought it was cold feet for hypothyroidism???????

7. LuckyLisfranc

Hypothyroidism is a major aetiology for peripheral (entrapment-style) neuropathy.

From eMedicine:

Thyroid neuropathy

Entrapment neuropathy of the median nerve is the most common neuropathy associated with hypothyroidism. Compromise of the eighth nerve causing deafness is not uncommon. Multiple cranial nerve involvement is rare.

Polyneuropathy is usually subacute, sensory, and occurs in 31-65% of patients. Subclinical hypothyroidism also may present with peripheral nerve involvement.

Sensory complaints include painful dysesthesias in the hands and feet and radiating lancinating pains, occasionally suggesting nerve root compression. Examination findings may reveal distal glove-and-stocking sensory loss and ataxia.

Weakness is a common complaint, but it usually is related to myopathic involvement.

Hyporeflexia and delayed relaxation phase of the ankle jerk are common. Transient swelling on percussion of the skin (mounding phenomenon) may be observed.

Occasionally, hyperthyroidism may be associated with polyneuropath

See also: http://www.hosppract.com/issues/1999/03/dmmmazz.htm

Sincerely,

LL

8. markjohconley

sorry lucky, i must be as thick as a brick, but where does that say "burning feet"?

9. LuckyLisfranc

Mark, you are not thick as a brick - you're just looking for this particular symptom, when peripheral neuropathy will cause a range of symptoms, so they are all grouped together.

As mentioned in my earlier post on this topic, PN is often the best label to put on "burning feet", except where something like erythromelalgia exists. "Burning" is just another of the classic paraesthesia's that PN causes - along with "shooting", "pins and needles", "numbess" - the list goes on.

In diabetes for instance, "burning" pain will exist in about 10% of individuals with diabetic PN. This subgroup is often labelled as having "painful diabetic PN", and need to be managed for pain, as opposed to their aymptomatic counterparts. The same exists for tarsal tunnel, hypothyroidism and the many other aetiologies of PN. There can be a range of paraesthesia symptoms.

I can only reassure you from experience, and what is written in countless medical texts, that hypothyroidism will cause PN, and that "burning pain" is one of the classic hallmarks of this vague term - not present in everyone, but certainly a fair whack of them. My last case of hypothyroidism-related PN was about 3 months ago, and she was in a lot of discomfort.

LL

10. markjohconley

so hypothyroidism sufferers can experience 'burning' (imagined) from the pn angle and cold feet (real) from the peripheral vascular insufficiency angle....another lesson i missed...

11. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

How about erythromelalgia,radiculopathy or t.pedis?

12. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

emoclew

Just reading a book entitled Numb toes and aching soles: coping with peripheral neuropathyby John Senneff 1999 MedPress :San Antonio ISBN 0-9671107-1-8

Writtenby someone with peripheralneuropathy this isan interesting read as taken from the patient's perspective. It is not a medical text but the author is well informed, none the less. Written for the US but good sections on Pain and Pain Medications with afinalchapteron coping with PN

Worth a look

Cheers
    Cameron

13. bkelly11

bkelly11 Active Member

Hi Lucky,

Just browsing through the arena and came accross your discussion.

i came accross this recently in a clinic and the woman was referred back to her G.P.

this woman was in severe pain, she has hypothyroidism, nocturnal pain, hyperparasthesia(couldn't touch her with the scalpel to reduce callous and H/ Ds) used the podo spray.

from a Podiatric point of view, how do you or did you treat the woman with the burning pain, i know each case is different but this sounds very similar.

Just thought this case was interesting ( can you tell I've just qualified )

cheers Brian

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  14. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Painful neuropathy in subclinical hypothyroidism: clinical and neuropathological recovery after hormone replacement therapy.
    Penza P, Lombardi R, Camozzi F, Ciano C, Lauria G.
    Neurol Sci. 2009 Apr;30(2):149-51.

15. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Erythromelalgia: A Novel Mutation in SCN9A Causing Chronic Neuropathic Burning Feet Syndrome without Classic Skin Findings (P5.025)
    Jigar Mankad and Chamindra Konersman
    Neurology April 5, 2016 vol. 86 no. 16 Supplement P5.025