Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

What made you wnt to do feet?

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Simon Spooner, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Along with: "whats the difference between a chiropodist and a podiatrist" this is a question I get asked a lot: "why do you do feet?". To which my stock answer is "I don't just do the feet, I do the person attached to them". Last week i was with a patient that has been coming to me for best part of a decade, she's well into her eighties but you wouldn't think so, when she decided to tell me a litte bit more of her experiences in Plymouth during the second world war- As a naval base city, it was absolutely flattened by the Nazi's.

In Plymouth there is a street called Union Street, these days it's known for fighting and grotty night-clubs; it was once a place of theatres, cinema's, drinking houses and fighting. Anyway back to the plot, this particular patient was telling me how when she was a little girl, she was standing in Union Street when a German plane came flying up above the road, shooting up anything below it, with bullets breaking the ground either side of her like you see in the movies. She didn't know what was happening, but the local hairdresser luckilly saw what was going down; he ran out, grabbed her and pulled her into his shop doorway. This and other stories like this, are why I "do" the people attached to the feet. Love them all. And the scrotes that think they are "hard" down Union Street this coming Friday night, haven't got a clue what "hard" means.

2. Dr Toe

Dr Toe Member

Quick answer, my mother law thought if I were to prosper indoors in England, that a chiropodist was the way forward for me. (I wouldn't work in the rain)
    Second answer to second question a chiropodist is like a foot hygienist and a podiatrist is a foot doctor. There are a lot of arguments in the answer I have, but as I did not attend medical school proper, I would not consider myself a podiatrist.

3. Elizabeth Humble-Thomas

Elizabeth Humble-Thomas Active Member

With you Spooner,
    I love the patients, and the happiness when I've treated them.
    Certainly never longed to have this job, wanted to be an artist, but wasn't talented to make any money from that.
    What's going to happen to the enormous elderly population when we have retired?

4. Dr Toe

Dr Toe Member

Ditto/double ditto the unique quality of the individual and the enormous impact that excellent chiropody has on each and every one of the patients is what drives me. The people that see what is acheivable to what they feel are hopeless problems give me momentum to strive on and continue making life changes to their seemingly untreatable problems.
    I never thought I could love this work. Dare I say it? I am finally a hero to someone (many) for the difference I (we) make to their lives through chiropody.

5. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

I love Plymouth, my friend has a boat moored in Sutton Harbour, and he let my kids part sail it to cornwall last year. Plymouths contribution to our history is immense.

6. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

'There's time to finish the game and beat the Spaniards yet'. Francis Drake playing bowls on Plymouth Hoe when told that the Spanish Armada had arrived.

The English love to quote this as an example of British sportsmanship. The truth is, of course, different. Drake as a great seaman (as well as pirate) knew that the tide was against him and that he could not get his ships out of harbour until it changed - so have a drink and finish the game! :drinks

Bill

7. Elizabeth Humble-Thomas

Elizabeth Humble-Thomas Active Member

Am I missing something here?

8. Chelmsford123

Chelmsford123 Welcome New Poster

Basically because I was too old and knackered to do nursing anymore, wanted to have weekends off and do my job sitting down!