Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Onychomycosis and quality of life

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by NewsBot, Jul 19, 2007.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Evaluation of quality of life in patients with toenail onychomycosis by Polish version of an international onychomycosis-specific questionnaire
    Szepietowski JC, Reich A, Pacan P, Garlowska E, Baran E; on behalf of the Polish Onychomycosis Study Group.
    J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2007 Apr;21(4):491-6.

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Am i missing something here? We're talking about a generally non painful condition easily and instantly solved by a TNA!

Call me cynical but i cannot help but wonder if this paper was in some way motivated by the desire to sell O/M laquers, Medication or some other treatment.

I'm not surprised that the people in the country with poorer educations were less worried by their conditions. They've probably got problems with real symptoms to worry about rather than cosmetically unpleasing toenails.

I judge the QOL impact of OM thus.

When somebody comes to me with a raging OC which they have suffered for months through 14 courses of antibiotics from their GP and i tell them i can remove the nail and solve the problem with a 45 minute proceedure under LA which will ensure it never comes back they are almost universally delighted.

When someone comes to me with an OM and i tell them they can either have the toenail removed or try to remember to file and paint it every day for 6 months they generally are too scared of one and too lazy for the other.

I think that says something about how much their QOL is affected!

Regards

Robert

4. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Hi Robert, after avulsion do you treat with anything?? I have only seen clients some time after GP avulsions and all are reinfected and thought the process a waste of time? Appreciate your experience. Hether

5. Actually i phenolise. Nothing to reinfect.

Robert

6. JAraoz

JAraoz Active Member

in diabetes (NI) patient after avulsion. I appliy twice terbinafina for 7 days,
    after I make an acrilic nails for 30 days. with this I´ve observed a better grow for the nail.

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    Psychosocial impact of onychomycosis: a review
    Anna Chacon, Katlein Franca, Alexandra Fernandez BA, Keyvan Nouri
    International Journal of Dermatology; Volume 52, Issue 11, pages 1300–1307, November 2013

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Onychomycosis: burden of disease and the role of topical antifungal treatment.
    Daniel RC.
    J Drugs Dermatol. 2013 Nov;12(11):1263-6.

9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Onychomycosis: A study of self-recognition by patients and quality of life.
    Bunyaratavej S, Pattanaprichakul P, Leeyaphan C1, Chayangsu O, Bunyaratavej S, Kulthanan K.
    Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2015 May-Jun;81(3):270-4

10. NewsBot

Articles:
    Incidence and epidemiology of onychomycosis in patients visiting a tertiary care hospital in India.
    Adekhandi S, Pal S, Sharma N, Juyal D, Sharma M, Dimri D.
    Cutis. 2015 Jan;95(1):E20-5.

11. NewsBot

Articles:
  12. NewsBot

Articles:
    Perceptions Surrounding Onychomycosis in the Health Professions Student Population: The Disease, Treatments, and Quality of Life
    John Martucci, Tracey C Vlahovic
    J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2020 Sep 1;110(5)