Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Partial Socks Trans met Amputee

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by Greg Fyfe, Aug 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Greg Fyfe

Greg Fyfe Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi

Does anyone have any experience with silpos partial socks on trans met amputees with recurrant planatar breakdown.

Has rocker sole custom shoes with plastazote insoles.

Peripheral Neuropathy, passable vascular perfusion, bilateral t/m amputee. Sub 60yr old male client.

Anything that will help get him more than a month without ulceration would be welcome.

Regards
    Greg

2. Leigh Shaw

Leigh Shaw Active Member

Hi Greg, have used a patial sock in the past on a T1 younge male who was a security officer with good sucess. How long ago was his amputation ie is he still healing and where is the ulceration?

3. Greg Fyfe

Greg Fyfe Active Member

Hi Leigh

The last amputation was 2 years ago.
    L/foot beneath the 1st mtp region, where there is a knot of scar tissue
    R/ Foot beneath the 3rd 4th mtp joint area.
    They apparently "take turns".

regards
    Greg

4. Leigh Shaw

Leigh Shaw Active Member

Hi Greg, I would try the silipos patial sock - Briggate medical have them in their catalogue for AU$59 - 69 Depending on length. If thats still not enough how about an insole of a plastazote/ memory foam combo as well, allowing foe shoe depth, I have also used the silipos forefoot covers over this type of area as well.

5. rajna

rajna Member

Sorry - this is off the topic a bit, but with the transmet amputees, do you find that the TA tightens over time so that the distal plantar stump region gets increased pressure? I don't see a lot of transmet amputees long term post surgery, and I believe that one of our clinics current patients is having this happen after 18 months, and I was wondering if it was common. Rajna

6. deco

deco Active Member

Hi,

I have used the partial foot silicone socks made by silipose with some good results.

I often wonder when it comes to diabetic partial foot amputations whether they are often better doing a transtibial amputation rather than a nip tuck approach every couple of years which often ultimately ends up in tt ampution anyway.

Declan