Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Ranitidine for treatment of verruca pedis

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by amandaB, Feb 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. amandaB

amandaB Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone had heard about using Ranitidine for the treatment of verruca pedis. I'm sure i read somewhere that a daily dose of ranitidine 75mg would clear the verruca in around about month. I have done some digging and found info on 300mg daily dose with mixed results and i would be grateful for any more info.
    regards
    Amanda

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Never heard of it, BUT ranitidine is a H2 antagonist and another one of that drug class, Tagamet (cimetidine) is used (See this thread).HOWEVER, the RCT's are not looking promising, so I would not use it.

See this from 2007:
    Use of Histamine2-Antagonists for the Treatment of Verruca Vulgaris

3. Jeff S

Jeff S Active Member

I use a combination of Vitamin A 10,000 units and Tagement 300 mg TID x 3 months. It works well in 75-80 % cases in children <17 years. Off label use, well tolerated w/no side effects to date over the last 12 years. Unable to quote the JAPMA article...sorry

4. medisrch

medisrch Active Member

This is an interesting thread. Is the effect psychological in reality? Does the fact that the patient feels and knows something is being done and so is less stressed and the immune system kicks in better! We know from experience that they come and go.

5. Jeff S

Jeff S Active Member

The theorized mechanism of action is enhancement of the Langerhan cell functioning. That said, for me, this combination treatment is 2nd line following debridement, cryotherapy, Sal. acid under occlusion w/duct tape. If the topical response fails, I will add the Vit. A and Tagament. How much is psychological? I don't know but I'll take it.

6. amandaB

amandaB Member

A big THANK YOU to all who replied. Glad i found some info. I have a patient with a long term verruca(12 years!), it's very painful and she is desperate.I've been seeing the patient for a year and in that time we've tried most combinations of treatments without success.The patient has even had surgery to have it removed BUT it returned. The ranitidine/cimetidine treatment is her last resort.

7. podbac

podbac Welcome New Poster

I have had really good success using Oil of Oregano.

I had a theory it might work or help being a fairly strong anti-viral and an oil so it would absorb well into the tissue.

Like you amandaB, I had a patient with a 15 year verrucae and she had every treatment under the sun. I discussed my thoughts on Oil of Oregano and she used it applying it 2 times a day. Well, she returned 2 weeks later and the wart debrided right off with a scapel. That was 5 years ago. She returned this past summer for orthotics and the verrucae never came back.

I have used this treatment option on a lot of verrucae over the past 2+ years with more successes than failures. Works amazing on children.

The failures its hard to know if they are applying it twice a day.

Some of the more viralent verrucae may take some time but I've found if the patient sticks with it it works very well.

Oh, I forgot to mention I have my patient soak for 10-15 minutes in hot water (whatever they can tolerate) in the evening before they apply the oil of oregano.

It sounds idiotic but it truly does work.

8. LUFCPod

LUFCPod Welcome New Poster

Where does one acquire Oil of Oregano:confused:

9. podbac

podbac Welcome New Poster

You can get Oil of Oregano at any Health Food Store.

10. Gibby

Gibby Active Member

Haven't heard of the oregano treatment.
    Since verrucae are viral, there really is no cure. We still freeze them, burn them with chemicals or lasers, cut them out, apply acids, and they still can come back. Since there is not a cure, and not one highly-effective treatment, there are hundreds of treatments. I am careful to assess the immune status of patients with severe, recurrent verrucae. I'm interested in any and all treatments, and I'll read about this Ranitidine therapy--
    -John

11. Freddy

Freddy Member

When I did some research and critical appraisal on this subject a couple of years ago, I found the same review by Fit + Williams (2007). I concluded that if there was no corroboration with more rigorous trials, no statistical significance and current data did not support the use of H2 antagonists, it was not evidence-based, therefore I could not professionally justify the use of it.

Good old salacylic is still evidence-based and very effective in practice, along with any non-medicinal strategy to boost the body's immune response Eg. relaxation.