Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Post 'hallux limitus' exostectomy

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by markjohconley, Jan 2, 2014.

1. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Have just had a 91 year old male patient p/w ' a pain in my right foot'
    only hx of 'low back pain' and only on anti-hypertensives
    2005'ish had r/1st metatarsal (distal) exostectomy by podiatric surgeon; also 'did something to my (r/plantar fascia)"
    presenting complaint; c/o r/1st medial interphalangeal joint pain when weight-bearing; no lesion no erythema
    gait; does not plantarflex r/1st > no ground contact >> passive rom r/1st mpj seems adequate and certainly has strength in the r/1st plantarflexorsl
    r/2nd apex erythematous and swollen, mallet like appearance
    supination resistance test; very hard b/feet

have fitted a r/cluffy wedge and replaced section of sock lining beneath r/2/apex with a poron/plastazote plug; also fitted bilateral rearfoot varus wedges; >> pt ecstatic walking out of clinic but have had many with symptoms returning 'after a few weeks/months" so would appreciate any suggestions, mark of canberra

2. Bennepod

Bennepod Active Member

Greetings Mark.
    I'm having trouble visualizing your modification could you perhaps elaborate. specifically changes to the second.
    Brendan.

3. Bennepod

Bennepod Active Member

Greetings Mark.
    I'm having trouble visualizing your modification could you perhaps elaborate. specifically changes to the second.
    Brendan.

4. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Goodaye Brendan, thanks for replying.
    I prefer modifying sock linings/insoles rather than making removable toe buttresses mostly. As the 2nd apex was being stressed, taking, I assume, most of the ground reaction force that the hallux would otherwise have, I removed the section of the sock lining directly beneath the r/2/apical lesion (easily identified by the depression in the sock lining and replaced it with a plastazote/poron plug (near circular in shape). I don't like adding toe buttresses to the top of sock linings/insoles either as I think it often forces the digit into a 'claw' position as the apex 'catches' on the buttress when putting the foot into the shoe.
    all the best, mark