Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Orthotic query

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by apod83, Mar 29, 2016.

1. apod83

apod83 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all. I am making some orthotics for a family friend. I am relatively new to making custom orthotics as normally use off-the-shelft orthotics. I am just looking for some advice on the following.

The patient in question has left ankle pain which often occurs when they run. They are a keen runner. They also have pes planus and pronate when walking.

I was thinking of putting in a heel lift (unsure of how much), to alleviate the left lateral ankle pain and also putting some medial posting about 5 degrees. Would this be going along the right lines? I am unsure of whether i should look at the arch contour as do not want to over correct them.

I will be using semi rigid polyproplene for the material to make the orthotics to ensure they are quite robust as the patient is a keen runner. If anyone could make any further suggestions I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

2. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

Hi apod83.

It's difficult to advise without a more specific diagnosis. For instance lateral ankle pain could mean peroneal overuse which may require lateral posting. Or it could mean sinus tarsi compression which may require medial posting.

If you can provide some further information about which specific structures are involved, along with results of any other testing such as lunge tests, supination resistance etc you might get some more helpful replies

Hope this helps
    Ian

3. apod83, welcome. I trust that apod83 is not your real name and you may find more responses here if you do provide you real name.

As Ian stated, without a diagnosis it is difficult to advise on orthoses prescription variables, but I would also throw this into the mix- you state that you have been using prefab off-the-shelf insoles with success, why then do you perceive that this particular patient requires a custom foot orthosis?

Which raises perhaps a more interesting question than your initial clinical query for the podiatry arena veterans:

When are custom foot orthoses required and when will off the shelf devices foot the bill?

Peace y'all.