Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Secret of met domes

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Jo jo, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Jo jo

Jo jo Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Anyone have any tips/tricks for the application of metdomes ? I find them hugely beneficial when metatarsal bones lie closely parallel to reduce forefoot swelling, -not only with mortons neuroma.

I do have issues sometimes when applying temporary ones.

Several times patients have returned as they have been pressing onto the painful area. Even though I get them to walk around for a couple of minutes before leaving.

I place them inbetween the metatarsal bones with the narrow tear shaped part facing distally.

Any tricks to getting it right?

Thanks

2. http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=3543

3. Lorcan

Lorcan Active Member

Jo Jo

I usually place them with the narrow end proximally. This seems to work for me.

4. Jo Jo:

We call them metatarsal pads here in the States, not "met domes".

The narrow aspect of the metatarsal pad should be proximal and the more broad aspect of the pad distal (see illustration below) From trial and error experimentation over the last quarter century, it seems most patients find that if the metatarsal pad is positioned with about 15 mm of the pad anteriorly hanging off the anterior edge of the orthosis plate, this is then the most comfortable/effective position for the metatarsal pad.

Attached Files:

5. Jo jo

Jo jo Active Member

THanks all,
    Very valuable information