Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Athletic Footwear and Orthotics in Sports Medicine

Discussion in 'Podiatry and Related Books' started by NewsBot, Aug 16, 2008.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Athletic Footwear and Orthotics in Sports Medicine
    by Matthew B. Werd & E. Leslie Knight
    Paperback: 256 pages
    Publisher: Springer; 1 edition (August 2008)
    Buy:
    Amazon.com
    Amazon.ca
    Amazon.co.uk
    Fishpond.com.au (Australia)
    Fishpond.co.nz (New Zealand)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  2. The chapter I wrote last year for this soon to be published book is titled, “Evolution of Foot Orthoses in Sports: Biomechanical Effects”. Should be a good book.

3. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Table of contents
    Athletic foot types and foot deformities.
    Basic lower extremity biomechanics.
    Gait evaluation of the walking and running athlete.
    Athletic shoes, socks and lacing.
    Athletic shoe inserts.
    Orthotics.
    Athletic footwear prescription and referral.
    New technologies.
    Sport-specific recommendations.
    - Running.
    - Walking.
    - Dance.
    - Football.
    - Baseball and softball.
    - Soccer.
    - Skating.
    - Basketball.
    - Triathlon.
    - Cycling.
    - Aerobics.
    - Skiing.
    - Golf.
    - Cheerleading.
    Coding and billing.
    - Coding and billing.
    Inserts and orthotics.
    - Biomechanical and gait evaluation.
    - Foot impression techniques and casting.

4. Griff

Griff Moderator

Has anyone else ordered this book? I ordered it from Amazon (.co.uk) on 12 September 2008, not long after first reading this thread, and over a year later am still waiting for it. The estimate dispatch/delivery date has been continuously changed/extended, and is currently telling me I will have it between 5-10 May 2010. I don't think I've ever waited 20 months for a book before...

Anyone got any inside info on what the deal is?

Ian

5. admin

They just seem to keep pushing the publication date back ....

6. CANDA

CANDA Welcome New Poster

any word on this book?

7. Griff

Griff Moderator

My dispatch estimate according to Amazon is 29-30 April, with a delivery estimate of 3-7 May (but I'm not holding my breath).

8. I wrote a chapter for the book back in the latter part of 2007. Last word from the editor, Matt Werd, DPM, is that it is scheduled to be published sometime in April 2010 with 30+ contributors and with 300+ pages. My bet is that it will shipping out sometime in May or June 2010.

9. Griff

Griff Moderator

Still no book. Now Amazon tells me it is 'dispatching soon' but cannot confirm a delivery date. Interestingly, despite it saying it has not yet been released, there is someone from New York selling a used copy??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0387764151/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

10. CANDA

CANDA Welcome New Poster

My order was just shipped It says i will be receiving it on may 30th

11. Bruce Williams

Bruce Williams Well-Known Member

Let us know if it really happens! :dizzy:

I wrote a chapter for the book too and wonder if I'll even get a free one?

Maybe a I wrote a chapter for "Athletic Footwear and Orthotics in Sports Medicine", and all I got was this lousy t-shirt?:D

Bruce

12. Ian:

I just got an e-mail from the editor, Matt Werd, DPM. He says that the book has finally been published and is just now making its way to the warehouses for shipment. My guess is that I should receive a copy by mid-June.

13. Griff

Griff Moderator

I just had an e-mail from Amazon - it has been dispatched! Estimated delivery date 27th May. Only 1 year, 8 months, 2 weeks and 1 day since I ordered it. That must be a record...

14. Two Shoes

Two Shoes Member

I finally received my copy of the book today after I ordered it in August 2008.

I have only scanned it quickly and my initial toughts are it seems pretty good. The chapter contributed by Doug Richie on athletic socks is something I haven't seen before.

A short criticism is the American angle of the book. From my viewpoint, the chapter on codes and what Medicare covers in the US is a waste.

Further, all authors are based in the US. It would have been good to have a more international balance, such as Nigg and Nester. But Nigg and Nester do have, or probably have, their their own books coming out in the next 12 months.

I live in Australia and Springer were on the ball when they finally decided to publish it.

15. Here is the table of contents for the book for all those that may be interested in purchasing it:

16. quirkyfoot

quirkyfoot Active Member

Gotta get me one of these! Sounds like a great publication, will come in very handy,
    Paul.

17. admin

18. Griff

Griff Moderator

I'm slowly working my way through this book when I have some free time here and there and am up to page 47. Is anyone else quite disappointed with Chapter 3 and how dated it reads?

19. Disappointed with much of it. But there are some pearls.

20. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Agreed. Much of the first half is very dated
    The second half is better.