Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

New Podiatry Student - Career Change

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Poodle2, Sep 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Poodle2

Poodle2 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi Everyone

After 10 years in Finance its time for a change and I have always been interested in the mechanics of the foot and the relationships to the knee, due to knee/hip/feet problems growing up.

Just wanting some insight into people already working in the profession and to see if my expectations are realistic. My main reasons for my change to podiatry are
    1. I am fascinated by the mechanics of the foot and its relationship to the lower limbs
    2. Eventually I could be self employed or have more flexible working arrangements than 8.30-5 everyday
    3. Each patient will have a different problem so the work should be interesting
    4. Being in the medical field I imagine that new research and issues come up quite frequently and that the field of podiatry remains ever changing and growing

I do realise there would be parts of the job that are terrible too, monotony of work of dealing with ingrown toe nails day in day out. The hard job of dealing with people who don't manage their diabetes correctly, which I imagine is very frustrating.

If you can help me with any other issues specific to Podiatry as a career it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Hi Poodle2,
    Nearly 400 views and no replies:empathy:
    Then its time to rethink your direction.

Your in Brisbane, so why not consider SCU where you can do a degree in Pedorthics.

The only Pedorthic business l have heard of closing in the last 18 months was due to retirement, plenty of jobs for a Certified Pedorthist and the work is both rewarding and challenging, plus if you go to SCU you have opportunity to do a double degree, Podiatry and Pedorthics if you like.

Drop in to a Pedorthic business near you, l would suggest Brisbane footwear services, ask for Ernie Tye
    or even pop down to Melbourne this weekend to our National Pedorthic Symposium and meet a few more Certified Pedorhtist to get a better idea if its what you want, if you come to Melbourne symposium seek me out.

3. footpower

footpower Active Member

There are international opportunities in Pedorthics as well. I have just been in Beijing, China for a weeklong workshop on pedorthics, foot orthotics.

4. Poodle2

Poodle2 Welcome New Poster

Thanks for the replys, I really appreciate it. Maybe my expectations and exactly on the money thats why I have no replies........ I really hope its not because my expectations are so far from reality and no one wants to be the person to crush my soul :)