Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Foot orthosis and reduced STJ motion

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by robcox, Nov 12, 2007.

1. robcox

robcox Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a patient who has unilateral ankle joint complex O/A. She has limited inversion and eversion.
    During gait the patient hits laterally with the heel, however fails to pronate (on the right foot) from heel strike to push off. She seems (by observation) to remain mainly on the lateral aspect of her heel. The foot is therefore abducted during gait.
    My questiuon is therefore, is there any way an orthosis can assist in reducing this abduction and assisting in maintaining a plantargrade foot?

Any suggestions please?

Regards

Rob

2. efuller

efuller MVP

Rob,

Not a lot to go on. Low range of motion think STJ coalition. You also need to put your fingers under the foot when the patient is standing. Can you get the fingers under the lateral forefoot? Is there very high pressure. What about the medial side? Is there low pressure there? With this little info it sounds like an uncompensated varus with little load on the medial forefoot until the foot is abducted to roll off the medial side late in stance phase. It could be a lot of other things though.

Regards,

Eric

3. Rob:

I don't know if I totally understand your description....inverted heel and abducted???

The bottom line is that you can perform the maximum pronation test on the patient to see if the patient has the available range of motion to bring the foot plantigrade. If they can't get into a plantigrade position while maximally pronated, then no orthosis will be able to exert enough pronation moment to evert the foot to a more normal alignment with the ground. The ankle osteoarthritis probably has restricted the eversion range motion. Did you measure STJ eversion/inversion bilaterally? Did you measure RCSP bilaterally? Did you do the maximum pronation test bilaterally? If you had done these tests, then you would have already probably had your questions answered.

4. robcox

robcox Active Member

Thanks for these responses.

I think I may need to investigate this further. However, based on Kevin's last email, I doubt an orthoses will be of any use due to the restriction of STJ eversion motion. Appologies - as I am still quite new to this field! Nevertheless, it is great to have feedback from you more experienced guys.

Thanks

Rob.

5. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Rob

"I doubt an orthoses will be of any use due to the restriction of STJ eversion motion"

Don't be too hasty.
    Come back with a little more info, even a picture if possible, then people might be able to make more detailed advice.

Questions to answer include:
    Is there is any pain? Where is it? As others have said, try the above test
    What are you wanting to achieve.? e.g. may not have much eversion but you may want to use an orthosis to resist excessive amount of lateral loading.

More info would be useful

Ian

6. robcox

robcox Active Member

Thanks - I will come back with more info.

Rob