Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Sterilising Clippers - quick survey

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by One Foot In The Grave, Jul 11, 2005.

1. One Foot In The Grave

One Foot In The Grave Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    We received some new Westminster Double-action clippers today, and after washing, bagging and pressing "GO" on the steriliser - I thought I should glance over the "Instrument Care Instructions" on the packaging.

It stated that the springs should be removed for EVERY sterilising cycle.

I have visions of struggling (in front of the client) to put the spring back in after I open the instrument packet and wonder if the instructions are just the manufacturers way of covering their own arse as the spring always rusts first.

So the question is...does anyone remove the spring from your clippers before sterilising and then reattach it before use??

If you do...could you please enlighten me as to how you do it without gouging chunks out of your hands each time!!

2. ehresources

ehresources Member

Yes, I do remove the coil prior to sterilization. In the brand I have, it is really quite simple. You just widen the handles and it practically pops out. I checked with the companies and the reason it must be removed prior to sterilization and rusts so quickly is because that part of the cantiliver nipper is not stainless steel. My concern then becomes the fact that this area is not sterile, very difficult to clean and now a source for cross-contamination. Any further thoughts on this? I'd love to know a solution! I am trying to switch to the cantilevers with the prongs in the middle to help solve this.
    J

3. Stuart Blyth

Stuart Blyth Active Member

We maintain about 40 sets of the Westminster Double-action clippers, Australian delivered, although I don't think they would be different from yours.We dont ever take the springs out because apart form the fact they are very hard to get back in the risk of cross-contamination is too high. With normal cleaning (Clinidet and a quick scrub) and using autoclave bags they are fine with no rust at all. These are high turn over sets too, getting up to 2 or 3 uses per day. We have the an amount of the Chifa (or Hifa) brand as well used in the same manor, the only difference being that over time the Westminster clippers open wider and wider to the point where they risk splitting the autoclave bags. On average I suppose we get about 3 years use from a set before they are too blunt and have never found sharpening them to be very effective.

regards Stuart

4. Sammy

Sammy Active Member

I to have found problems with the springs in cantilever clippers. This has been on the agenda since the early days of Cidex. The springs usually are hard to remove (and replace) and they do rust. Still, I ask myself, "How else are we to cause infection which we are then paid to cure?" This then means we earn more money which we then use to buy more clippers (with springs that rust) so we can cause infection and earn money and buy more clippers and cause inf.. I blame the government.

5. prosharp

prosharp Active Member

I note that there is not much discussion on the subject of nail clippers.Nail clippers are definitely resharpenable .Most problems (cracks,hinge too tight or lose etc) are repairable.The mention of spring probs with respect to autoclaving stems from the grade of stainless steel used to make the springs.If the springs were made from the same material as the clippers they would not function as they would be too hard.The springs are made from a slightly lower grade of steel.Dont forget this is stain less steel meaning that different grades stain or mark or corrode less in different conditions.Stainless steel is not indistructable but just a differenttype of steel with different additives.

6. One Foot In The Grave

One Foot In The Grave Active Member

:D PMSL