Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Pressure lesions at apex of lesser toes form running

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by podtiger, Mar 2, 2010.

1. podtiger

podtiger Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,
    I have a problem with a patient who was initially getting pain on the medial aspect of both ankles and subtalar join region. It extended basically along where the tibialis posterior muscle runs and inserts into the navicular. After a bimechanical assessment I prescribed a quick fix in the form of 3/4 vasyli orthoses to help prevent abnormal pronation and to support the midtarsal joint. I explained to the patient that eventually she may need more custom made orthoses. The patient is a 35 yr old recreational runner who is now doing up to 35 km per week.
    This helped the patient right away. She also found the vasyli orthoses quite comfortable.
    Now, however, there is a problem with the B/2/3/4 apices getting pressure lesions fairly close to the nail area of these toes. I am thinking the foot may have moved forward slightly due to less room in the shoe.
    My problem is how to fix this for the patient? I am also aware that she is running more kms now.

thanks

Podtiger

2. Easy....get a bigger shoe......

3. Mark_M

Mark_M Active Member

First thing to check is the lacing, ensure the laces tight distal to proximal and then lace lock. This usually prevents any forward motion that could be occuring in the shoe.

Also a 3/4 orthotic on top of an innersole will take up room in the shoe, Try removing the innersole and replacing with a full length orthotic.

4. efuller

efuller MVP

I agree with the other posters that a longer shoe or keeping the foot back in the shoe is probably the answer. You could look at the toe impression in the sock liner to see how close they are to the end of the shoe.

Another possibility is that there is increased use of flexor digitorum longus. This muscle is a close 2nd to the posterior tibial muscle in creating supination moment at the STJ. If the original problem was posterior tibial tendonitis, a patient could learn to use a different muscle instead.

Regards,
    Eric

5. podtiger

podtiger Active Member

Thanks for your replies. It's funny checking the shoe it felt like there was still enough room for the toes while the patient was standing with orthotics in runners. I will check again and try the lacing advice.

thank you

6. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

Have you checked that the orthoses fit well back into the heel counter of the shoe - if the shape is slightly different or the fit is tight they can pop forward especially if you have them on top of the existing sockliner - just a thought.

Steve

7. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Podtiger

You could try a silicon toe prop mould or:

Assuming that it is not a problem related to the shoe itself; First, did you establish the diagnosis? i.e was it posterior tibialis pain? If it was and you decided it was because of the stress caused by resisting pronation moments then did you decide how this action came about. E.G. was it a medial STJ axis? a supinatus forefoot? a compensation for a saggital plane progression perturbation (SPPP) like FncHL or equinus ankle /forefoot? was the first ray compliant to GRF and therefore the dorsiflexion deflection increased tension in the PL and increased pronation moments that way?

For instance it may be the case the in a compensation for (SPPP) plus a very medial STJ axis the compensation may have been to increase the toe out foot placement to reduce the ankle dorsiflexion lever arm. In this case the foot may have pronated more due to increased horizontal GRF relative to the STJ. This may have lead to the lateral aspect of the foot being off the ground and the toe clawing to stabilise the foot but not actually beinbg able to get much purchase.

When you fitted the orthoses but did not address the ankle equinus for instance, the toes may still have the clawed attitude but can now have more purchase on the ground since the foot in more supinated and the ankle dosiflexion moments have increased in stance phase.

This is just one scenario, which may not apply at all to your patient but gives you an idea about how you might think about the intervention process.

OK I'm willing toi be shot down in flames now:boxing:

Cheers Dave