Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Biomechanics and Orthotic Therapy one day conference in Belgium

Discussion in 'Conferences' started by Kenva, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Kenva

Kenva Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Friday March 23th 2007
    Lecture and workshop for our second and thirth year students
    15u00-15u45 Lecture by Craig Payne
    "Applying Evidence to Foot Orthotic Prescribing"
    15u45-16u30 Workshop by Kevin Kirby
    "How to Perform a Thorough Walking and Running Gait Examination"

Saturday March 24th 2007
    "Leerstoel Opleiding Bachelor in de podologie"

9u15-9u45
    Registration and welcome

9u45-10u00
    Introduction by chairman

10u00-11u00 Lecture by Kevin A. Kirby, DPM
    "Foot Orthoses: Theory and Research Evidence for the Biomechanical
    Effects"

11u00-12u00 Lecture by Craig Payne
    "Forces, motion and foot orthotic outcomes"

12u00-13u00 Lunch

13u00-13u45 Lecture by Craig Payne
    "Clinical Tests to Predict Foot Orthoses Outcomes"

13u45-14u30 Lecture by Kevin Kirby
    "Posterior Tibial Dysfunction: Biomechanics and Effective Conservative
    Management"

14u30-15u00 Coffee Break

15u00-15u45 Workshop by Kevin Kirby
    "New Clinical Tests for Diagnosing and Understanding Mechanical Foot
    Pathologies"

15u45-16u30 Workshop by Craig Payne
    'Clinical tests to determine forces'

16u30-17u00
    Question and answer

3. LCBL

LCBL Active Member

Can you give venue and accom details as web link is wrong.

Thanks.

4. Kenva

Kenva Active Member

My pleasure, weblink seems to work i think...

venue:
    Arteveldehogeschool
    Campus SLP
    Sint-Lievenspoortstraat 143
    9000 GENT
    Belgium
    Registration form

No special accomodation is organised, Ghent has lovely B&B's en good hotels. Following links provides you with the information you need
    accomodation

Try also following website on visiting ghent
    Visit Ghent, as you can make it a wonderfull weekend...

How to get there:
    By plane:
    You will land in Belgium at Brussels National airport: Zaventem. From there, trains run every half an hour with a direct connection to Ghent's Sint-Pieters station.

For more information click here.

By train:

Ghent has 2 train stations: Gent Sint-Pieters and Gent-Dampoort. The High-speed train Thalys coming from Paris will bring you directly to Gent Sint-Pieters. The English Eurostar calls at Brussels train stations, assuring an excelent connection with Ghent. From all other Belgian Stations, there are frequent services to Ghent.

Gent Sint Pieters

Maria Hendrika Plein
    9000 Gent
    tel: +32 (0)9 241 22 44

You can take bus 9 or 90 to the busstop 'Sint-Lievensbrug'

or tram 21 or 22 tot tramstop 'Clarissenstraat' or 'Keizerpoort' and it brings you in walking distance to Campus SLP, Sint-lievenspoortstraat 143

Gent Dampoort
    Octrooiplein 8
    9000 Gent
    tel: +32(0)9 241 31 08

You can take bus 70 or 71 to the busstop 'Zuid' and then take the tram 21 or 22 to tramstop 'Clarissenstraat' or 'Keizerpoort' and it brings you in walking distance to Campus SLP, Sint-lievenspoortstraat 143

For more information on Thalys click here.

For more information on Eurostar click here.
    For more information on the Belgian railways click here.

By car:

You can reach Ghent by the E40 motorway (Ostend-Brussels). Ghent is also close to another European artery, the E17 (Antwerp-Ghent-Courtrai). Take in both cases the exit 'Gent-Centrum'. Parking possible in underground parkings around the centre since the centre of Ghent is a car-free area. Closest to the campus is Gent Zuid underneath the Woodrow Willsonplein.

If you need any extra information, just ask... i'll be happy to provide you with the information available;)

5. Ken and Colleagues:

Very much looking forward to spending a few days in Ghent lecturing with Craig Payne on foot and lower extremity biomechanics at your podiatry college. Since neither my wife or I have visited Belgium, we are delighted to be visiting you beautiful country for the first time. Having had the pleasure many times before to lecture with Craig, I'm certain the seminar will offer a unique blend of theory, research and practical clinical information on foot orthoses, gait examination and foot and lower extremity biomechanics. It should be an great series of lectures and workshops for all those who are planning on attending.

See you all in a few months.

6. Kenva

Kenva Active Member

We'll make sure that both you and your wife are going to have a great time... On Saturday, Ghent is a real shopping paradise, lots of culture and good food...

indeed, that's what i would call a Slam Dunk!:D

Although it is orginised by our department of podiatry to highlight our 15 year anniversary, everybody is invited to register for the Saturday program from 9h15 to 17h00.

7. Kenva

Kenva Active Member

Jonathan,

I'll answer you question on the forum af that's ok...

payment can only be done in advance by banktransfer:

Account number: 446-0243471-44
    Account name:
    Arteveldehogeschool
    Account address:
    Hoogpoort 15, 9000 GENT

international deposits:

IBAN-code BE55 446024347144
    BIC-code KREDBEBB KBC Gent, Kouter 15.

or on the day, at the door...

Early bird until Februari 15th '07, 50€ afterwards 60€.

Cheers.

Ken

8. Kenva

Kenva Active Member

Last call: Early bird fee until 15/02!!!

Dear all,

Hereby i want to get your attention for the last call - early bird fee

15/02/2007: 50€

If you subscribe after this date, 'it's gonna cost you' ;) an extra 10€!
    so subscribe now!

Hope to see you guys for a nice weekend in Belgium-Ghent!

Cheers
    Ken

9. Ken and Belgian Colleagues:

We're flying out to Paris in the morning. Will also be visiting Caen, Brussels, Brugge before heading off to lecture with Craig Payne at the conference in Ghent. Looking forward to seeing my Belgian friends again and to meeting many more of your Belgian podiatric colleagues. I hear Dave Kingston (LCBL) will also be there. He tells me he will be buying beers for Craig and I the whole time were at the conference. :rolleyes: :eek:

10. LCBL

LCBL Active Member

Wow, that's nice of him....no....wait....HEAH!....Kirby, I said an ale!....AN....AN......ALE.

(Please note this Saturday is St Patrick's Day so I shall be tender whilst in Ghent)

11. LCBL

LCBL Active Member

Well, firstly, its funny that Craig, Kevin and I are the only viewers of PodArena at the moment and are all in ours rooms in a hotel in Ghent. The power of the in internet.

I would like to thank our Belgian hosts and Kevin and Craig for a wonderful 2 days of lectures and workshops that was a huge success. As a delegate it was worth the short trip from Ireland.

Craig and Kevin did a great job in 'spreading the word' and the feedback from the 'locals' was excellent.

Thanks to all.

Dave

12. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Yes, it is somewhat paradoxically that there are currently only three Podiatry Arena members online and we are all staying in the same hotel in Ghent!!

Dave - thanks for the beers.
    Kevin - see you in the lobby soon.

I too have to share Dave's sentiments - its been a fun conference and the organisers have done well.

Its also been great to put a face to so many Podiatry Arena regulars (and irregulars) .... this is becoming quite a tradition at conferences - maybe we need to organise some Podiatry Arena booze ups at conferences ....

13. Dave (AKA LCBL) did live up to his word and shouted for all of us at the bar last night. You made the Irish proud Dave!

Our Belgian hosts were wonderful and put on a great one day conference here today. Thanks again to all who have helped organize the event. It was a pleasure to participate. My wife and I both had wonderful times.

Since it's been a while since I have lectured with Craig and since this is the first time we have been co-keynote speakers at a conference, it is almost scary to see how similar our thought processes have become regarding the function of the foot and the prescription of foot orthoses. Makes me feel quite satisfied to see that someone as knowledgeable as Craig is evaluating treating feet very similar to way that I do.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  14. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    .....wow!!!! Just filling in time before the dinner tonight and opened the present given to me for speaking and it was a couple of beautiful dresses for the Podiatry Arena'ettes .... :) :) :) ... this is the bestest I have ever been given for speaking at a conference :cool:

Attached Files:

15. Kenva

Kenva Active Member

Hello everybody

I also want to thank you, Craig an Kevin, for your excellent lectures. It was for all the attendees a great educational opportunity and feedback up to now points all to the great quality and high standard of the content.
    I'm happy to hear that you all had a great time in Belgium and hope to - one day - welcome you again.
    I wish you all a good and safe trip back home, and hopefully it's not gonna hurt so much on monday morning...;)

It was our absolute pleasure and i'm happy you like it. It is afterall precious time away from your wife and daughters...

cheers Ken