Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

How should I go about searching for a part time job as a 2nd year student?

Discussion in 'Employment in Australia' started by Jemma Riddiford, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello,

My name is Jemma Riddiford and I'm currently studying Pod in my 2nd year and I would really like to get a part time admin/secreterial job at a practitioner.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to go about this? Emailing? Phoning? In person? I live in Brisbane city and was wondering whether there are any facilities where I could find out if there are any types of these positions available.

Thanks for much for your help!

Jemma Riddiford
    jemma.riddiford@gmail.com

2. ja99

ja99 Active Member

Hi Jemma, whilst I can't offer specific job leads, I would encourage you to send emails, present personally and phone Practitioners (as you said), and even, place an ad in the local Journal.

It will be one of those deals where you make 20 contacts in order to get one job! I wish I had a position to offer you in my Clinic (sadly I don't) but encourage you to keep trying. The fact that you've come here and asked advice shows character and tenacity, in themselves qualities worth hiring !

I believe that Colonel Saunders of Kentucky Fried chicken fame, had to present himself over a thousand times before someone bought his recipe....keep trying kiddo, YOU WILL SUCCEED !

3. Dear Julian,

Thank you so much for your enchouragement! I shall get my act together well and truely after my mid semester exams and start approaching everyone like crazy.

Get ready Pods of Brisbane - I'm coming.

Jemma

4. ja99

ja99 Active Member

Go Jemma, Go Jemma, Go Jemma....

I have been a Pod for 12 years and its a great profession. Sure there are some boring or monotonous aspects , but every profession has them!

You'll study, you'll sweat, you'll despair....then you'll get your final exams over and done with, trust me it happens faster than you can imagine. Next, you'll do some work for another Pod, and build your own contacts/work/nursing homes etc etc. Soon enough you will consider opening your own clinic (perhaps) and if you do, within a year or two with a combination of skill, sense and a smattering of luck you'll be flat out busy earning $100K plus, worrying about provisional Tax, investments, how to fit in a week at the Ritz-Carlton in Kuala Lumpur and payment schedules for your Merc / BMW / Lexus !

How can I say this ? Easy...its my story and dozens of Pod's who I graduated with and met at Uni and afterwards !

You are nearly there, I totally encourage you as you embark on a great career in a great profession. If you ever need any advice or just a word of encouragement, just send me an email:

julian_alexandra@yahoo.com

A bientot....
    Julian:D

5. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Hi, start a new thread with student looking for assistant position in the Brisbane area.
    I would be very surprised if you were not snaffled up very quickly.
    That is how I have come into contact with staff before.

Good Luck

Cheers

6. Hello Heather,

Thanks so much for your reply, and I will do exactly as you say! I've also recently created an email which I'll send out to the Pods in my area in the hopes of there being something available.

Wish me luck,

Jemma