Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

4th year student looking for dream job in Oz!!

Discussion in 'Employment in Australia' started by Lukas87, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Lukas87

Lukas87 Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hey recently joined this site to see if it can help me land my dream job as a podiatrist in Australia!

I am currently a 4th year student at Glasgow Caledonian University and i have started looking for jobs more specifically Australia.

I will graduate in July this year and would hopefully like to have a job to start my career off in around the end of July.

Can anyone be of great help and direct me in the right way as to where i can apply for jobs and sponsorship?

Thanks very much

Luke Simpson

2. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

3. Elizabeth Walsh

Elizabeth Walsh Active Member

Hi Luke,

I studied in Glasgow, and then headed to Sydney, so we I know where you are coming from.

I would definitely join the podiatry association in the state that you intend to work in, I didn’t at first because professional indemnity was cheaper with the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists for overseas pods, probably not any more though, and I know that they do not insure enough now to treat DVA patients.
    You also will find out about conferences, seminars etc.
    Anyway, they also advertise jobs monthly.

I suppose you know about doing the exam in oz for national overseas recognition ,NOOSR......I think you maybe can do it in London now, if that is still how it works.

The newspapers also advertise, twice weekly for health professional positions, e.g. The Courier Mail in Brisbane, Sydney Morning Herald.

I am not sure that you would need to get sponsorship because podiatry in itself would lend you enough points to get residency, but that is something that you would need to get checked out with the Australian embassy.

PM me anytime if you like,
    I know how exciting it is to be where you are at, all the best with it ;)

Elizabeth

4. Elizabeth Walsh

Elizabeth Walsh Active Member

Also worth noting, is that you would need to register with the podiatry board in the state that you intend to work,
    e.g. The Podiatrists Registration Board in NSW
    The Podiatrists Board of Queensland

Plus you would need to get a tax file number before commencing work.

5. lcp

lcp Active Member

What sort of region in australia do you want to work? Its a pretty big country, with lots of different climates, what sort of area suits you best?

6. Lukas87

Lukas87 Guest

Ye sorry i wasn't too specific as to where in Australia i would like to work. I would like to work in either Queensland or NSW.

7. bkelly11

bkelly11 Active Member

Hey Luke

I graduated 2 years ago from caley. You don't need to do an exam to work in Australia but you do need to get your skills recognized by the Australian Podiatry Council (APODC). I'm working in rural victoria on sponsotship visa.

The process is straight forward albeit time consuming. I you would like to start in July i would advise you to get the information you need just now and start applying for jobs just now there are loads going in Australia at the moment especially in rural areas.

Send me a private message i you wish to discuss further

8. frogmella

frogmella Welcome New Poster

hi,

i am looking for a locum in sydney for a month in sept/oct. you would need to be registered to work in NSW. possibility of accom plus use of car, if you are under 26 you would only need a temp working visa for this. could be a good stepping stone to finding perm work.