Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Precision Intricast Newsletters

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by markleigh, Jul 20, 2006.

1. markleigh

markleigh Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am considering purchasing this book/newsletters & I know the author is a regular contributor to this site, but those who maybe have purchased this book, has it been valuable & worth purchasing? Are there any other recent books concerning orthotic therapy/prescription writing worth purchasing? Or is most current info. "freely" available online?

2. These two texts are very very good. All of the students I used these books with found them to be well written and easily digested.

3. Louise B

Louise B Member

Hi,

Definately a good buy for your own reading and understanding and an excellent teaching tool for Podiatry students and for training colleagues as they are not too long so more easily digested!

I think they are good value also.

Louise

4. Donna

Donna Active Member

Hi Markleigh,

I have the second book, and have found it to be an incredibly useful resource! As far as I know the newsletters are only available by purchasing the books... ;)

If you want "freely" available information, you've found it on Pod Arena, you can search for just about anything here, so there is plenty of learning to be had! :D

Regards

Donna

5. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

6. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Anyone have the ISBN and titles? (I want to read up and impress Kevin and Simon with my new found knowledge but don't tell, ok?)

7. Donna

Donna Active Member

Hi Dieter,

The second book is called: "Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics II: Precision Intricast Newsletter, 1997-2002" and the ISBN is 0-9657309-1-3.

:cool:

8. Scorpio622

Scorpio622 Active Member

I have both volumes and have no buyers remorse. It is a very interesting read and clinically relevent.

9. markleigh

markleigh Active Member

Where from

I'm in Australia & the price I think I've seen was $170. Is that for one or both volumes? Anywhere that it is available cheaper or anyone want to sell a second hand version?

10. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

I have tried online searches without any luck - is the book no longer in print?

11. admin

12. Donna

Donna Active Member

Definitely not out of print, I got mine (as a gift) just a few months ago... thanks again Kevin... :)

To order I think they are worth around US$50 each so the A$170 is probably for both volumes... :confused: I don't know if anyone would be willing to part with these precious books second hand...it's a resource that you will go back to many times...tis excellent! :D

13. The two books I wrote are only available through Precision Intricast Orthosis Lab. There are copies still available at the following website http://www.dpmlab.com/html/bookreview.html. The first book is a 10 year collection of 121 newsletters and the second book is a 5 year collection of 63 newsletters. I wrote my first Precision Intricast newsletter in October 1986 and will therefore celebrate my 20th anniversary of writing monthly newsletters for them in a few short months. I have written a total of 230 monthly newsletters over the past 20 years. The next edition of newsletters should be available at the end of 2007 if all goes as planned. We haven't decided if the next edition will be a 20 year compendium or will be another 5 year compendium (2002-2007) of newsletters.

Here is the table of contents of the two books:

Kirby KA: Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics: A Ten Year Collection of Precision Intricast Newsletters. Precision Intricast, Inc., Payson, Arizona, 1997.

Contents

INTRODUCTORY NEWSLETTER ............................................................................. 1

CHAPTER 1
    THEORETICAL AND PRACTICAL TOPICS IN PODIATRIC BIOMECHANICS ........ 5
    Inaccuracies in Podiatric Biomechanics Dogma - Volume I .............................................. 7
    Inaccuracies in Podiatric Biomechanics Dogma - Volume II .............................................. 9
    Inaccuracies in Podiatric Biomechanics Dogma - Volume III .............................................. 11
    The Many Faces of Inverted Forefoot Deformities ............................................................... 13
    Medial Column Flexibility .................................................................................................. 15
    The Role of the Plantar Fascia in Arch Stability ................................................................. 19
    The Determination of Subtalar Joint Neutral Position ......................................................... 21
    Effects of Longitudinal Arch Height on Lateral Ankle Instability ........................................ 23
    Internal Compression and Distraction Forces Within the Midfoot ...................................... 25
    Effect of Calcaneal Position on Subtalar Joint Axis Moments ........................................... 27
    Effect of Forefoot Position on Subtalar Joint Axis Moments .............................................. 29
    Equinus Deformity - Volume I ............................................................................................ 31
    Equinus Deformity - Volume II ............................................................................................ 33
    Equinus Deformity - Volume III ........................................................................................... 35
    The Vertical Calcaneus: Is It Really Normal? ..................................................................... 37
    Treatment of Abnormal Externally Rotated Gait with Orthoses ........................................... 39
    The Effect of Plantar Calcaneal Shape on Foot Biomechanics ........................................... 41
    Assessing Subtalar Joint Position on Lateral Foot Radiographs ........................................... 43
    Biomechanical Functions of the “Intact” Plantar Fascia ...................................................... 45
    Testing for Maximally Pronated Position of the Subtalar Joint ........................................... 47
    Clinical Significance of Subtalar Joint Axis Location ......................................................... 49

CHAPTER 2
    NEGATIVE CASTS AND POSITIVE CASTS ............................................................. 53
    The Importance of Heel Bisections on Negative Casts ........................................................ 55
    Orthosis Thickness and Cast Balancing Hints .................................................................... 59
    Negative Cast Evaluation .................................................................................................... 61
    Anterior Tibial Contraction: A Common Error in Negative Casting .................................. 63
    Minimal, Normal and Extra Medial Arch Fill .................................................................... 65
    Supine Versus Prone Negative Casting for Foot Orthoses ................................................... 67

CHAPTER 3
    BIOMECHANICAL EFFECTS OF ORTHOSIS MATERIAL AND DESIGN ................ 69
    Effect of Rearfoot Posts on Foot Orthoses .......................................................................... 71
    Factors Affecting Foot Orthosis Stiffness ......................................................................... 73
    Functional Forefoot Extensions and Accommodative Orthoses ........................................ 75
    Heel Cup Height of Orthoses ............................................................................................. 77
    Effect of Orthosis Heel Cup Height on Orthosis-Shoe Fit ................................................. 79
    Importance of Heel Contact Point Thickness in Foot Orthoses ......................................... 81
    Introducing a New Orthosis Material - 5/32” Polypropylene ............................................ 83
    CHAPTER 4
    SHOE DESIGN AND SHOE BIOMECHANICS ......................................................... 85
    The Effect of Shoe Design Parameters on Foot Function ................................................. 87
    Effects of Shoe Sole Softness on Foot Orthoses ................................................................ 91
    Shoe Cushion and Foot Biomechanics .............................................................................. 93
    Shoe Thoughts .................................................................................................................... 95

CHAPTER 5
    INVERTED AND MEDIAL HEEL SKIVE ORTHOSES ............................................ 97
    Blake Inverted Orthoses ..................................................................................................... 99
    Inverting Orthoses - Volume I .......................................................................................... 103
    Inverting Orthoses - Volume II .......................................................................................... 105
    The Medial Heel Skive Technique - Volume I ................................................................... 107
    The Medial Heel Skive Technique - Volume II ................................................................ 109
    New Thoughts on the Medial Heel Skive Orthosis Technique .......................................... 111

CHAPTER 6
    PEDIATRIC BIOMECHANICS, PATHOLOGY AND ORTHOSES ............................ 113
    Children’s Orthoses ........................................................................................................... 115
    Orthosis Treatment of Pes Planus and Intoeing in Children ............................................... 117
    Treatment of Pediatric Flexible Flatfoot with Foot Orthoses ............................................ 119
    Treatment of Flexible Flatfoot Deformity in Children - Volume I ................................... 121
    Treatment of Flexible Flatfoot Deformity in Children - Volume II ................................... 123
    Intoeing in a Child - Two Interesting Case Reports .......................................................... 125

CHAPTER 7
    BIOMECHANICS AND PATHOLOGY OF THE FIRST RAY ..................................... 127
    Treatment of Hallux Limitus with Foot Orthoses .............................................................. 129
    Treatment of Metatarsus Primus Elevatus with Foot Orthoses ......................................... 131
    Foot Orthoses and Bunions ................................................................................................ 133
    More Ideas on Metatarsus Primus Elevatus ........................................................................ 135
    Plantarflexed First Ray Deformity ....................................................................................... 137
    Orthosis Modifications for Sesamoiditis ............................................................................ 139
    Resolution of Joint Forces into Rotation and Compression Forces ................................... 141
    The Hubscher Maneuver: Its Relationship to Normal Foot Function ............................... 143
    Orthoses for the Painful First Metatarsophalangeal Joint ................................................. 145

CHAPTER 8
    ORTHOSIS TREATMENT OF FOREFOOT AND MIDFOOT PATHOLOGY .............. 147
    Orthosis Modifications for Metatarsalgia ........................................................................... 149
    Forefoot Extensions for the Treatment of Plantar Tylomas ............................................... 153
    Etiology and Treatment of Plantar Fifth Metatarsal Head Lesions ................................... 155
    Orthosis Treatment of the “Collapsed Metatarsal Arch” Foot .......................................... 159
    Orthoses for Feet with Convex Lateral Arches .................................................................. 161
    Orthoses for Second Metatarsophalangeal Joint Capsulitis .............................................. 163
    Dorsal Midfoot Interosseous Compression Syndrome - Volume I ................................... 165
    Dorsal Midfoot Interosseous Compression Syndrome - Volume II ................................... 167

CHAPTER 9
    ORTHOSIS TREATMENT OF REARFOOT AND ANKLE PATHOLOGY ................ 169
    Biomechanics of Tarsal Coalitions .................................................................................... 171
    Treatment of Heel Spur Syndrome with Foot Orthoses .................................................... 173
    Pes Planus Secondary to Posterior Tibial Pathology .......................................................... 175
    Biomechanics of Peroneal Muscle Overuse ...................................................................... 177
    Achilles Tendon Disorders ............................................................................................... 179
    Orthosis Modifications for Recalcitrant Plantar Heel Pain ................................................. 181
    Posterior Tibial Dysfunction - Diagnosis and Treatment .................................................. 183
    Posterior Tibial Dysfunction/Tendinitis - Biomechanical Etiology .................................. 185
    Biomechanical Treatment of Peroneal Tendinitis ............................................................. 187
    Orthosis Treatment of Tarsal Coalitions ........................................................................... 189
    Abductor Hallucis Muscle Strain ....................................................................................... 191
    Treatment of Sinus Tarsi Syndrome with Foot Orthoses ................................................... 193

CHAPTER 10
    RUNNING BIOMECHANICS, PATHOLOGY AND ORTHOSES ................................ 195
    Orthosis Modifications for Runners .................................................................................. 197
    Lateral Knee Pain in Runners ............................................................................................ 199
    Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome in Athletes ........................................................................ 201
    Running Biomechanics: Effect of Increased Impact Forces ............................................. 203
    Running Biomechanics: Increased Rearfoot Pronation .................................................... 205
    Running Biomechanics: Running Shoe Research ............................................................. 207
    Running Biomechanics: Foot Orthoses for Runners ........................................................ 209

CHAPTER 11
    RUNNING SHOES WITH BEST PRONATION CONTROL .......................................... 211
    1988 Running Shoes with Best Pronation Control ............................................................. 213
    1989 Running Shoes with Best Pronation Control ............................................................. 215
    1993 Running Shoes with Best Pronation Control ............................................................. 217
    1995 Running Shoes with Best Pronation Control ............................................................. 219
    1996 Running Shoes with Best Pronation Control ............................................................. 221

CHAPTER 12
    DOWNHILL SKI ORTHOSES AND BICYCLE BIOMECHANICS ................................ 223
    Downhill Ski Orthoses ....................................................................................................... 225
    Bicycle Biomechanics - Volume I .................................................................................... 227
    Bicycle Biomechanics - Volume II .................................................................................... 229

CHAPTER 13
    SPECIALIZED ORTHOSIS DESIGNS ............................................................................. 231
    Women’s Dress Orthoses .................................................................................................. 233
    A New Flexible Dress Orthosis .......................................................................................... 237
    The New Ultra-Lite Black Plastazote Orthosis .................................................................. 239
    Additional Thoughts on the Ultra-Lite Orthosis ................................................................ 241
    University of California Biomechanics Laboratory Foot Orthosis .................................... 243

CHAPTER 14
    TROUBLESHOOTING COMMON ORTHOSIS PROBLEMS .................................. 245
    Troubleshooting Medial Arch Irritation in Orthoses .......................................................... 247
    Heel Cup Irritation in Foot Orthoses ................................................................................... 251
    The Plantar Fascia and Foot Orthoses ............................................................................... 253

CHAPTER 15
    IMPROVING THE PRACTICE OF PODIATRIC BIOMECHANICS ............................. 255
    Arch Supports or Prescription Functional Foot Orthoses? ................................................ 257
    Secrets to Better Orthoses .................................................................................................. 259
    The Search for Better Orthoses .......................................................................................... 261
    The “Normal” Lower Extremity and Gait Analysis .......................................................... 263
    Hints to Better Shipping of Casts and Orthoses ............................................................... 265
    Thinking Like an Engineer ................................................................................................ 267
    Using Patient Education to Improve Orthosis Therapy ...................................................... 269
    Ways You Can Help Us Make Better Orthoses for Your Patients .................................... 271
    Temporary Foot Orthoses .................................................................................................. 273
    The Meaning of “True Value” in the Medical Marketplace .............................................. 275
    Serial Foot Orthosis Therapy ............................................................................................. 277
    Increasing the Fun in Podiatric Practice ............................................................................ 279

CHAPTER 16
    MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS ............................................................................................... 281
    Biomechanics Trivia ........................................................................................................... 283
    Case Report ....................................................................................................................... 285
    Rohadur - Once It’s Gone, Will It Be Missed? ................................................................... 289
    Precision Intricast is Moving to Arizona! .......................................................................... 291
    Limitations of Foot Orthoses ............................................................................................ 293
    A New Book on Podiatric Biomechanics Arrives ............................................................ 295

Index ..................................................................................................................................... 297

Kirby KA: Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics II: Precision Intricast Newsletters, 1997-2002. Precision Intricast, Inc., Payson, AZ, 2002.

Contents

CHAPTER 1
    GOALS, HISTORY AND DEFINITIONS OF FOOT ORTHOSES ………………...…. 1
    Goals of Foot Orthosis Therapy ………………………………………………………...… 3
    The History of Foot Orthoses ……………………………………………………………... 5
    Definitions for Foot Orthoses ………………………………………………..…………..… 7

CHAPTER 2
    SUBTALAR JOINT NEUTRAL VERSUS TISSUE STRESS APPROACH TO MECHANICAL FOOT THERAPY ………………………………………………………… 9
    Subtalar Joint Neutral Approach to Mechanical Foot Therapy .......................................... 11
    Tissue Stress Approach to Mechanical Foot Therapy .................................................…... 13
    The Biomechanics of Tissue Stress ..........................................................................…..... 15
    Using the Tissue Stress Approach in Clinical Practice .........……………........…............... 17

CHAPTER 3
    SUBTALAR JOINT AXIS MECHANICS AND ROTATIONAL EQUILIBRIUM THEORY 19
    Motion of the Subtalar Joint Axis During Weightbearing Activities ....................….......... 21
    Effect of Subtalar Joint Axis Location on Subtalar Joint Moments ............................…... 23
    The Balancing of Moments Across the Subtalar Joint Axis ......................……................. 25
    Effect of Subtalar Joint Axis Location on Arch Irritation in Orthoses ............................... 29
    The Biomechanics of Compensation for Foot Deformities ………………………………. 33

CHAPTER 4
    FOOT ORTHOSIS DESIGN: BIOMECHANICS, TROUBLESHOOTING AND TERMINOLOGY ................................................……………………………………....... 37
    Effects of Medial Arch Height of Orthoses on Pronation Control .............................…..... 39
    Sagittal Plane Effects of Increased Medial Arch Height in Orthoses ........................…...... 41
    Orthosis Control of Medial Arch Flattening in Flatfoot Deformity .............................…... 43
    Shank Dependent and Shank Independent Foot Orthoses ..........................................…..... 45
    Use of Outtoeing Gait Plate Orthoses in Children with Intoed Gait .........................……... 47
    Troubleshooting Foot Orthosis Supination Instability .....................…………………........ 49
    The Function and Terminology of Rearfoot Posts .....................………………………...... 51

CHAPTER 5
    MECHANICAL EFFECTS OF FOREFOOT VALGUS AND REARFOOT VARUS WEDGING......................................………………………………………………………... 53
    Forefoot Valgus Wedge Effect .....................................................................................…. 55
    Mechanical Effects of Varus and Valgus Wedging ............................................................ 57
    Mechanical Effects of Varus Rearfoot and Valgus Forefoot Wedging .............................. 61

CHAPTER 6
    ONE-AXIS VERSUS THE TWO-AXIS MODEL OF THE MIDTARSAL JOINT .......... 65
    Research Review of the Two-Axis Model of the Midtarsal Joint ..............................….... 67
    Review of Scientific Research on the Midtarsal Joint Axes ….....................................…. 69
    Two-Axis vs. One-Axis Model of the Midtarsal Joint ......................................………...... 71
    One-Axis Model of the Midtarsal Joint: Experimental Evidence ..............................…..... 73
    Explaining Clinical Findings Using the One-Axis Midtarsal Joint Model ........................... 75

CHAPTER 7
    LOWER EXTREMITY MUSCLE FUNCTION: BIOMECHANICS, PHYSIOLOGY AND EFFECTS ON FOOT FUNCTION .............................………………………………..… 79
    Function and Measurement of the Gastrocnemius-Soleus Complex .................................. 81
    Acute and Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness ............……………………........................... 83
    The Gastrocnemius-Soleus Complex: Anatomy, Function and Stretching ........................ 85
    Effects of Peroneus Longus Muscle on Foot Function - Volume I .................................... 89
    Effects of Peroneus Longus Muscle on Foot Function - Volume II ............…..............…. 91
    The Variable Mechanical Effect of Anterior Tibial Muscle Contraction ............................ 95

CHAPTER 8
    BIOMECHANICS, EVALUATION AND TREATMENT OF POSTERIOR TIBIAL DYSFUNCTION ...........…………………………………………………………………….. 97
    Technique for Testing of the Posterior Tibial Muscle/Tendon Complex ............................ 99
    Etiology of Flatfoot Deformity in Posterior Tibial Dysfunction ........................................ 101
    Orthosis Modifications for Treatment of Posterior Tibial Dysfunction .......................….. 103
    Shoes and Therapy in the Treatment of Posterior Tibial Dysfunction ........................…... 105

CHAPTER 9
    PLANTAR FASCIITIS AND THE BIOMECHANICS OF THE LIGAMENTS, TENDONS AND THE PLANTAR FASCIA ...........…………………………………………………... 107
    Biomechanical Properties of Ligaments and Tendons ...............................….................. 109
    Lateral Component Plantar Fasciitis .............................................…………………....... 111
    Current Thoughts on the Treatment of Proximal Plantar Fasciitis .................................... 113
    Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Paper on Plantar Fasciitis ...................................... 115
    Effects of Plantar Fascial Tension on Digital Purchase Force ......................................... 117

CHAPTER 10
    BIOMECHANICS OF FOOT AND LOWER EXTREMITY DEFORMITIES .................. 119
    Genu Valgum and Pronated Feet ..............................................................................….. 121
    Effects of Tibial Varum and Rearfoot Varus on Foot Function ................................…... 123
    The Biomechanics of Forefoot Supinatus ........................................................................ 127

CHAPTER 11
    BIOMECHANICS OF BALANCE ....................................………………………………. 129
    Stable Equilibrium and Balance .......................................................…………………..... 131
    Maintenance of Balance in Relaxed Bipedal Standing ....................................................... 133

CHAPTER 12
    BIOMECHANICS OF FUNCTIONAL HALLUX LIMITUS ............................……….…. 137
    Functional Hallux Limitus and the Windlass Effect of Hicks ..........................…….......... 139
    Modeling the Body to Explain Functional Hallux Limitus - Volume I .......................….... 141
    Modeling the Body to Explain Functional Hallux Limitus - Volume II .............................. 145
    Modeling the Body to Explain Functional Hallux Limitus - Volume III ............................ 149

CHAPTER 13
    CLINICAL TESTS AND TECHNIQUES …................................................................…. 153
    Supination Resistance Test ........................................................................................…. 155
    Orthosis Deformation Test .....................................................................................…...... 157
    Proper Technique for Determination of First Ray Range of Motion ................................. 159
    Proper Grinding Technique for Plantar Fascial Accommodations ...............................….. 161
    Barefoot Standing Orthosis Test ............................……………………………………... 163

CHAPTER 14
    BIOMECHANICS AND ORTHOSIS TREATMENT OF CYCLISTS ...................……. 165
    Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics During Cycling ................................................ 167
    Evaluation and Orthosis Treatment of the Cyclist ............................................................. 171

CHAPTER 15
    MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS .....................……………………………………………..... 173
    1997 Running Shoes with Best Pronation Control ............................................……….... 175
    Biomechanics Terminology for Today’s Podiatrist .......................................................... 177
    Introducing a New Orthosis Prescription Order Form ............................................…...... 179
    1999 Running Shoes with Best Pronation Control ......................…............................…. 181
    Protocol For Dispensing Prescription Foot Orthoses ...................................................…. 183

Index ..............................................................................................................................…. 187

14. conp

conp Active Member

GEE WHIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KEVIN!!
    That is a fair bit of writing!
    Looking forward to getting my hands on the 2 volumes.
    Kevin, I do not want to get off the thread topic (which I am), but if you were to write the 2 volumes again right now, would there be many topics that would be written differently?
    Curiously,
    Con

15. Con:

I would definitely write things differently now versus 15-20 years ago. Most of the changes would be changes in terminology that don't always necessarily mean a change in meaning. For example, I no longer write about the longitudinal and oblique axes of the midtarsal joint due to Chris Nester's research. I will say now instead "midtarsal joint" and describe midtarsal joint moments by describing the forefoot relative to the rearfoot such as "forefoot plantarflexion moment" or "forefoot dorsiflexion moment".

My writing has evolved with my increase in knowledge of anatomy, physics, biomechanics and engineering concepts and also with what I think the average podiatrists can understand. Early on in writing the newsletters, I was reluctant to use terms such as "moment", "moment arm" and "rotational equilibrium" because I didn't think podiatrists would understand my meaning since no one else in podiatry was using these terms. Once I introduced these terms into the podiatric literature with my paper on rotational equilibrium in 1989 (Kirby KA: Rotational equilibrium across the subtalar joint axis. JAPMA, 79: 1-14, 1989) then I gradually started using these terms to "ease" podiatrists into these concepts. Now, 17 years later, we talk about these concepts freely on Podiatry Arena and in podiatric seminars, which gives me great delight that podiatry has advanced their biomechanics knowledge so that they can understand these important concepts.

Twenty years of writing on podiatric biomechanics topics has also meant that every month, for the past twenty years, that I have had to create a new topic to write on. Sometimes, this is the hardest part of the writing process. However, in doing these newsletters, it has also meant that I have spent the last twenty years devoting a relatively large part of my life thinking about podiatric biomechanics topics, reading research papers, and reading anatomy, surgery, biomechanics, physics and engineering textbooks so that I can try to gain more knowledge to be able to explain these concepts more clearly in my newsletters and papers. I have greatly enjoyed this part of the monthly newsletter writing process, since I love learning.

One more thing, as far as the time spent in producing the large percentage of my newsletters that have illustrations, approximately half of my time is spent writing the text of the article and the other half of my time is spent "drawing" the illustrations on my computer. Even though making good illustrations are very time-consuming, I strongly believe that the many hours of work in making clear and concise illustrations for my newsletters and other published articles have been absolutely critical in allowing an optimum transfer of knowledge to the reader so that they can gain a better understanding of the topics I am writing on. The best clinical biomechanics articles, in my opinion, are those that not only are written well but are also illustrated well. After all, a good illustration is worth another 1,000 words, isn't it?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  16. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Books on Basic fizzicks with regards to biomechanics?? What can you gurus recommend for those who do not have a fizzicks background. (Fizixs- a baby fizzick) Appreciate you all, regards h

17. I have about 20 books on my library shelf on biomechanics. However, when I need a good, basic explanation of a biomechanical concept, the one I use the most (and is written at an undergraduate level with plenty of diagrams) is by Ozkaya and Nordin (Ozkaya, Nihat and Margareta Nordin: Fundamentals of Biomechanics: Equilibrium, Motion and Deformation. 2nd Edition. Springer Science & Business Media, Inc, New York, 1999). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0387982833/ref=sr_11_1/104-6868649-3269508?ie=UTF8

I highly recommend it.

18. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

tHANKS kEVIN, h

19. nickw

nickw Member

Hi. Was just wondering if anyone knows (Maybe Dr Kirby?? :) ) how i can get a copy of these. Nowhere seems to have them. Maybe im looking in the wrong place but have tried many bookstores online and all are out of stock.

many thanks
    Nick

20. admin

Nick - I have merged your message to this thread, as there is plenty of info above on how to get them.

21. You may order the books only from the Precision Intricast website. There are still some copies left, from what I understand. http://www.dpmlab.com/html/bookreview_2.html

22. markleigh

markleigh Active Member

Recived my copies today

I received my copies today. Ordered approx. 2 weeks ago & I live iN Aust so that is pretty good. A quick flick so far reveals a lot of really interesting reading ahead. Thanks to Kevin!

23. admin