Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Challenging pediatric case

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by admin, Aug 23, 2006.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I was asked by a colleague re this case:
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

Trigger point(s) and/or muscle inhibition may be worth a look at, but I would have thought that they would not produce the level of pain that the patient is experiencing.

3. bearfootpod

bearfootpod Member

I agree, trigger point release of spasmed muscles may help.

4. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Here is an update on the case:

5. Podiatry777

Podiatry777 Active Member

I wondered if she sprained the ankle, as I just got a new patient with intense constant pain from such. I'm no expert here, but if her laces were loose the sprain could be inside loose shoes? the inversion also agittated the invertors, hence medial symptoms.

6. Mark2

Mark2 Member

Mark here, coming from left field, does Juvenile R.A. present with intense pain like this? Or would it have been picked up on MRI? Just a thought.
    Mark

7. Here is an interesting article to ponder regarding supination spasm of the foot. I would check again for tarsal coalition...did the MRI cover the whole rearfoot and midfoot?? http://www.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/reprint/47-B/3/533.pdf

I currently have a adult patient with a supination spasm of the posterior tibial muscle that seems to be related to something happening in the posterior subtalar joint. This is the first I have seen in 21 years of practice. Local infiltrations of local anesthetic into the posterior subtalar joint reduces pain and spasm but have not yet seen anything on a few x-rays. Casting improves pain and spasm, but does not resolve it. Awaiting an MRI. Sounds like a similar history. Try sequential diagnostic local anesthetic injections into the joint spaces of the rearfoot. I'll bet it reduces the spasm.

These are rare birds when you try to do a literature search for supination spasms.