Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

HAV in Children and using orthotics

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by Lauren84, Oct 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lauren84

Lauren84 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Just read an article "A controlled propective tirla of a foot orthosis for juvenile hallux valgus', Kilmartin et al (1994) Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery,

which commented their orthotic increased the intermetatarsal angle; and therefore increased the progression of the hallux valgus, as well as unilateral hallux valgus the orthoses did not halt the development in HV in the normal foot.
    NB: their orthotic was a custom made using rigid thermoplastic materials and dental acrylic. They had a forefoot and rearfoot wedge as well.

What are your views on this and do you know of any other papers that contradict/concur with these findings?

2. Hey Lauren

Yeah that is an inconvenient study. I beleive the man himself referred to it as "a beautiful truth killed by an ugly fact" or some such.

The study is here for them as have not read it.

http://www.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/reprint/76-B/2/210

I will point out, as Simon did to me some years ago when we discussed this, that the study did not show that the orthotic increased the IM angle. It showed that the group with orthotics had a slightly higher IM angle than those who did'nt. Post hoc ergo propter hoc and all that. However.

I think its fascinating how hard we all find it to accept this data. We have a somewhat shaky deductive hypothesis, that "overpronation:rolleyes: causes HAV". We have data in hand that THESE orthotics in THIS study did'nt. It causes a real mental wrench to try to look at the data without bias.

It states that the children had a biomechanical examination as described by root orien and Weed (1971) and were prescribed orthotics to prevent excessive pronation of the sub talar joint. It further states that these orthotic "wedge the forefoot and hindfoot."

Now the inclusion criteria for the study was an MPJ of 14.5 degrees. No mention of foot function in the inclusion criteria. Yet they were all assessed and all ended up with insoles to limit "excessive pronation". This in itself is something worthy of discussion, that with that assessment protocol EVERYBODY needed an orthotic to "prevent excessive pronation". However I digress.

The question I would ask is this. I don't think anyone would claim to fully understand the link between Pronation and 1st ray / mpj pathology and HAV. However we DO know that the more pronated a foot, the more the 1st met has to dorsiflex to accomodate it. And we know that dorsiflexing the 1st met tends to increase internal plantarflexion moments which in turn can lead to FNHL. So there an argument that limiting pronation can reduce forces in the 1st MPJ. Fair enough?

But how are they limiting pronation? By using an orthotic with a rearfoot AND FOREFOOT wedge. And what will a forefoot wedge do to the 1st ray?:wacko: If we're trying to control pronation to reduce dorsiflexion moments on the 1st met there are probably better ways to do it than by dorsiflexing the 1st met. It might control the pronation but thats something of a pyrrhic victory.

For this reason I'm generally really quite reluctant to use forefoot varus wedging on children (barring sports insoles). Apart from the immediate risk of blockade to the windlass I'd be worried about causing a supinatus!

It might not be anything to do with that, but its a thought.

Regards

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    It was TH Huxley that first said - the great tragedy of science is the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact ... I have had that quote on my office noticeboard for 20 years!

4. You're probably on the money, Robert. What the study demonstrated is that the specific prescription protocol employed in the study didn't help. It did not show that orthoses per se don't work in the treatment of juvenile hallux valgus. Neither, does it imply that a different design would have worked. My comments in another thread recently regarding controlled trials of foot orthoses stand here too.

5. Graham

Graham RIP

SIMON,

Nicely said.

Regards:good:

6. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member