Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Lesser toe windlass and forefoot wedging

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Simon Spooner, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    All,
    Some time ago I described a digital dorsiflexion test analogous to Jacks test (Hubscher manoeuvre) for the lesser toes. My observation was that there appears to be variation among individuals as to the response of the foot to dorsiflexing each of the digits in turn as we move from toes 1-5; in some people dorsiflexing each digit in turn might result in foot supination at every digit, whereas in other people there is a transition point, at a certain digit, where the response changes from supination to pronation.

I was just thinking about the use of forefoot wedging, if the wedging dorsiflexes the metatarsal, it might create a functional lesser digit limitus in one or more of the lesser digits, and impact on the supination / pronation moment acting on the foot via that specific digit during gait (dependent on whether dorsiflexion of the digit in question tends to pronate or supinate the foot) I'm thinking there might be implications here for wedge placement depending on what we are trying to achieve at the forefoot during gait. i.e. wedge to either side of the transition point of the digital dorsiflexion response. So if we intentional "block" those digits which provide pronation moment when dorsiflexed by dorsiflexing their metatarsals with a wedge up to the change over digit, this should increase the net supination moment...

So, say for example digits 5, 4, and 3 all tended to pronate the foot during the test and we wanted to decrease the pronation forces coming from the dorsiflexion of these toes via the windlass mechanism we might use a reverse "Mortons" but under mets and toes 3, 4 and 5 (or a kinetic wedge extending under 1 and 2).
    Hope that makes sense.

2. Also, this has got me thinking about how lesser toe deformities disrupt the lesser digit's contributions to the internal forces of the foot....

Found the original thread where i talked about this http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=23581 seems I was talking Spooner wedges analogous to Cluffy wedges back then rather extending kinetic wedges etc..