Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Nail drill recommendations?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Heather J Bassett, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    HI, I'm looking at the purchase of a new drill, last one held together for 15 years!! Including heavy duty work, Ha anyone purchased a new one recently? can you recommend any of the recent ones on sale, other than 4 or 5 lines in advertising brochures I am unable to find out much else, I would appreciate your feedback, many thanks hj

2. Stuart Blyth

Stuart Blyth Active Member

Hi HJ

In the last 5 years we have gone though no less than 4 drills in our practice (multiple rooms, multiple pods).

Lenson "clean drills": we have had 2, terrible quality, total lack of manufacturer backup and hand pieces are lucky to last 3 months.
    When we purchased them they were advertised with a 5 year warrantee. In the first year they both went back for repairs no fewer than 3 times each, when we sent one of them back at month 14 we were told that the warrantee had been changed to 12 months and we were no longer covered!
    Needless to say after drawing lawyers at 10 paces we were able to come to a suitable arrangement involving a substantial refund from the suppliers for both units.

Suda drills various models: No service backup, no spare parts.
    One of the red case models that has spent more time away getting fixed than we have had it in the practice.
    One of the current model metal case units that is a total piece of fecal matter. The unit has broken down several times, poor dust extraction and 6 months after purchase no replacement parts available. End result full refund from the suppliers.
    We have one of the old plastic case models that has been going strong for 8 years with basic maintenance.

Berchtold S 35 and S 30: Inherited an old S 30 when we purchased a practice that is about 10 years old and is still going strong.

Have purchased 3 x S 35 units and all seem to we working well with good suction and usability. Briggate Medical supplied all theses units and offer good service and parts back up. They can even supply parts and service for the older S 30 units.

In summary, make sure whatever drill you decide on has a good service and parts backup and try to ignore the initial cost. If a cheap drill only lasts 2 years then it’s an expensive purchase indeed.

Regards
    Stuart

3. PF 3

PF 3 Active Member

Have been using Berchtold drills for 4 years now and not even the slightest problem.

Cheers

Tom

4. Stuart Blyth

Stuart Blyth Active Member

5. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

thanks for your feedback and honesty I certainly know where not to go regards hj

6. trevor

trevor Active Member

Podiatry Drill Selection

Hi Hj,
    We purchased a Hadawe spray drill last year. I returned it for repair at the end of January 2006. ( The vendor is in Brisbane) Many phone calls and emails to them and to the Hadawe factory did not see the drill returned until the end of march. It still did not work, no spray this time. Returned it for repair again.We received it back at the end of the week following easter. This time one of the switches was hanging out the front. We did not return it again.
    Hadawe in Germany still have not replied to my emails

Why use a spray drill? being very high speed, the drill does all the work and the spray keeps the skin cool and the dust down. If you use tungstan burrs there is very little effort required by the podiatrist. The hand piece is tiny and very light weight.

Our principal podiatrist had to have shoulder surgery a couple of years ago for work related injury so we are now very careful about selecting equipment.

I worked for about 30 years for a very large multinational company based in Chicago and spent some time working on Australian vendor selection and acreditation.

I ignored the all rules when we selected our drill supplier and regreted it.

Always use a local supplier, preferably one within a few minutes drive. ( so you can visit them with a large stick if needed)
    Check how long have they been trading. a very high percentage of businesses close in the first two years of operation.
    Do they have factory trained repair staff.
    Do they have spare parts holding for your product.
    How long does it take to get parts from the factory. Have them verify their claims.
    Do they have ISO 9000 quality acreditation.
    These are some of the things that you should look at before you place an order to spend your hard earned money. Drills are not cheap
    Good Luck.
    Regards
    Trevor.

7. One Foot In The Grave

One Foot In The Grave Active Member

We have Berchtold S35 drills.

No problems with any of the four so far.
    (touch wood)

8. Tim Foran

Tim Foran Active Member

I have tried both the berchtold (offered by briggate) and promed drill (offered by DBS medical). I have the promed at my own practice and use the berchtold at another practice. Personally I think the promed is the better of the two given the dust extraction is exceptional. Power wise the berchtold holds a slight edge over the promed however this is minimal. I sometimes even drill without a mask using the promed given the dust extraction is that good. The drill is the second most used item in my room behind a clipper so hopefully this helps.

9. perkyr

perkyr Member

I have two drills which I don't use anymore but are still working. The Benchtold S30 and the Footman FM3000. If anyone is interested in purchasing them let me know. Location of them is the London area.

10. Kara47

Kara47 Active Member

I have previously used an older model Berchtold that was great, a newer one that seemed to have less power. I have a Promed which was purchased late last year, very happy with it, no problems so far. I bought it after purchasing the Rechargable Promed for domicillary work, it is fantastic: powerful as a big drill, lightweight & battery life is excellent. It doesn't have dust extraction like the clinic drill, but otherwise equally as good.

11. scalikeet

scalikeet Member

I too have the berchtold s30 and have been using it over for 10 yrs ,briggate have serviced / repaired it quickly each time . I also have a promed drill for at least the last 5 years , and while I think dust extraction is slightly better, I think the s30 is a much better drill .

12. simonfeet

simonfeet Active Member

Agree with Stuart Blyth that cheap is expensive. Used Sudas 30years ago when they performed well but noisy. Can't vouch for present modelsHave my 13 year old Berchtold soldiering on in one clinic & the newer S35 working in the other.
    Both have had heavy use & been reliable. The handpiece is not bulky or heavy to use. Originally purchased from Canonbury,servicing has been easy & no delay with parts delivery.
    Have used spray drills but don't like them. Like to be able to contain most of dust,as done with vacuum drills. Sprays messy as dust settles on patient's clothes. The cooling effect deprives the patient of the sense that the burr, however careful one is, maybe going too deep until its too late.
    Non of the vacuums are great so a mask should always be worn.

13. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

I have the Berchtold S35-TS Podiatry Drill, developed a fault with the motor luckily just within the warranty, i was told it was big bucks to repair it. TBH I'm not greatly impressed with the suction. I clean it regularly and the bag gets changed way before it is full. It also had a service about 12 months ago and it made no difference.

14. björn

björn Active Member

I've used S-35's for 11 years. The first one only just hand hand piece motor replaced to the tune of a about $650 (a bit hexy) The second one going well at 5 years old now, but did have a hand piece issue after about 3 years which was replaced. On the whole reliable - but I did look after it and clean the insides every now and again.

I have however bought two promed's and the suction is better - better bags for better filtration but way more expensive, hand piece smaller and lighter, but the motor not as powerful - it lacks torque when moores-discing, but is therefore probably safer - as in it gets stuck before cutting someone if you are heavy handed !;) Big negative is not having hand piece on/off.

Might look to sell the Berchtolds though and buy one more Promed - I tend to favour it slightly.

15. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

Was same here handpiece motor went at 22 months!!! phew

16. Micco

Micco Member

We have a total of 8 Berchtold drills across our locations and have had no problems. Recently bought two new ones from Briggate and had all our others serviced. The only issue is that Briggate don't provide spare parts for these so getting a 3rd party to service them is not possible. Briggate are the only ones who can service them...still worth it the oldest one we have is coming up to 10 years and going strong!

17. Micco

Micco Member

By the way...does anyone know of ways of reducing ongoing expenses in stock???
    I feel that Briggate is expensive in providing routine stuff like blade, gloves, gauze etc...does anyone use a different supplier? Do any of the others have good service, are they cheaper???