Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Minimalist Running Does NOT Increase Arch Strength

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, May 27, 2011.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This is a blog from Amby Burfoot about an abstract to be presented at next weeks American College of Sports Medicine conference (2011):

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
  2. NewsBot

Articles:
    Here is the abstract:
    Effect of Minimalist Footwear on Arch Rigidity Index
    Cory E. Etheredge et al
    Here is another from the same group:
    Effect of Minimalist Footwear on Medial Arch Height
    Justin F. Shroyer et al

3. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

4. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

Thanks NewsBot for the update on these issues. Look forward to more research on these areas.

That Amby Burfoot blog is quite interesting...

I suspected this - putting aside the fact that I certainly wouldn't run in some types or running shoes that are on the market... look forward to more.

Interesting... I would have suspected it would be more economical - then again, I don't know what shoe they used for this (some variable factors involved). Look forward to more research here as well.

Interesting results... "they performed several submax running tests with a lower heart rate and lower oxygen consumption".

So do I (I think :confused:)... but this choice of running is surely not really known by that term ("evolutionary running") :eek:. Why can't I be seen as just a runner? :rolleyes:

Anyways, research to look forward to in the future.

5. pod29

pod29 Active Member

Whilst I don't find these results at all surprising, as we have all discussed this issue at length previously. I do think we need to question the validity of the measure they have used. Arch height index, or the modified arch rigidity index seem to be more a measure the the stiffness of the passive structures within the foot such as the plantar fascia and spring ligaments. Given that the plantar intrinsic foot muscles display only minimal amounts of activity in static bipedal stance, it appears somewhat redundant to use a measure of foot posture in this position to address a hypothesis based around progressive strengthening of these muscles. These foot measures were never going to change from 6 months of running in these minimalist shoes unless the shoes could also miraculously increase the stiffness of the plantar fascia. :confused:

Anyway, I'm at ACSM right now, so I guess I'll have to ask them that question tomorrow....

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    From this yrs ACSM mtg (2012):
    Magnetic Resonance Analysis of Intrinsic Foot Musculature during Running in Shod and Barefoot Conditions
    D. S. Blaise Williams, III, Brian W. Wurzinger, Richard L. Segal, C. Ryan Steinbaker, Olivia M. Ratcliff

7. Where is the "abductor hallucis brevis muscle" in the foot?